Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! i just read on another post about kennel cough, etc.

i've noticed baylee yacking more recently lately, sometimes foam comes up but usually more of a dry heave. only really happens when she gets excited. her eyes have been more teary lately and when taking her to OB i saw her nose running quite a bit. with yellowish snot dried on the fur. also a lot of drool, way more than normal...

she's had her kennel cough shot.... i should probably just take her to the vet, huh?

also, i know her ears have nothing to do with her temperature, but i did notice they were extremely hot yesterday..... and she wasn't herself....

any suggestions other than the vet?

Update: Okay, Bayle had x-rays done and bloodwork. X-rays show she has pneumonia, no blockages from bones, etc. She has a high fever and gave her a shot of anti-biotics and a 2 week supply of Clavomox(?). She DID have the vaccine in November, it's in her file but not in the computer, idiots. She has an extreme runny left nostril and she's thrown up phlegm a couple times since we've been home. Her bloodwork should be back tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the support......... oh yeah, she's contagious... can she give it to us?

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
SO NOW I'M P*$$ED!!

I CALL THE VET, SHE LOOKS UP BAYLEE'S HISTORY, AND NO KENNEL COUGH SHOT GIVEN :evil: WHAT MAKES ME THE MADDEST IS I TOOK HER IN MARCH TO GET THE SHOT, CAUSE I WAS GOING TO BOARD HER AND THEY TELL ME SHE'S HAD IT!!

NOW, THEY SAY THE DR. DOESN'T LIKE GIVING THE VACCINE B/C SHE DOESN'T THINK IT'S NECESSARY!!! HOLY CRAP, MY DOG IS NOT NECESSARY!!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Kennel cough is usually a liquid they shoot up her nose. You don't remember anything like that?

Either way, even with the vaccine, they can still get kennel cough. It's like a flu vaccine - the virus can mutate. But it really sucks if they lied to you about giving the vaccine. That said, if she does have kennel cough now, there is no point in giving her the vaccine now.

I would take her to the vet anyway. They can still give her meds to make her feel better.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
My girlfriend is going through the whold kennel cough thing with her pup. He went through a round of antibiotics and it didn't help. She took him to the vet for the second time and they gave him more antibiotics, but this one has an anihistimine (sp?? LOL) in it to try to relieve some of the symptoms. Good luck with her.

Doze is sending his loves :love7:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you Dozer :love5:

yes, i'm taking her today at 3pm.... i wish i had the paper they gave me stating she had the shot....

i think she picked it up at the dog park or the Dog Show, dumb me let her jump in the swimming pool to cool off ](*,)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
augrad said:
Kennel cough is usually a liquid they shoot up her nose. You don't remember anything like that?
Kate's was a shot form in her leg...?

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Here you go:

The best prevention is to not expose your dog to other dogs, especially young puppies. If this cannot be avoided, then proper vaccination is the next best option. Chances are that if your dog is regularly vaccinated with a standard 5-way or 7-way vaccine, he is already being protected against several of the agents causing tracheobronchitis, mainly parainfluenza and adenovirus. However, these vaccines alone rarely provide protection against contracting the disease, although they will help reduce the severity of the disease if the animal becomes infected.

More commonly, for best protection, an intranasal vaccine containing both parainfluenza and Bordetella is used. Intranasal vaccines create localized immunity that greatly reduces the incidence of clinical signs and illness. There are several precautions and warnings that need to be observed pertaining to this vaccine. Some dogs will develop mild signs similar to tracheobronchitis when given this vaccine. Very often, the symptoms will last for several days and the dog will recover without treatment. Dogs that are vaccinated can also shed the virus and cause other dogs to become mildly infected and show mild signs. This shedding usually lasts less than 72 hours. In addition, it takes up to 4 days after vaccination for dogs to develop protection. When you combine these facts, you will see why I strongly recommend that a dog not be given intranasal vaccine within 72 hours of coming into contact with other susceptible dogs. Do not give the vaccine the day before a dog show, boarding, etc. Try to give at least four days before contact with other dogs, and preferably 7 days. This way you will protect your dog from becoming infected by other dogs, and protect those dogs from becoming infected by yours.

This vaccine is not without its problems. It is a very effective vaccine, but it must be used carefully and is generally only recommended for dogs that are at high risk. If your dog is not shown, boarded, or comes into contact with stray dogs, your dog is considered low risk.

In kennels where tracheobronchitis is a problem, strict hygiene with thorough cleaning and disinfection of cages and food and water containers is essential. In addition, kennels that are indoors should have good ventilation with an air turnover rate of at least 12 times an hour. Agents causing tracheobronchitis can be transmitted on hands and clothing as well as through the air, so infected animals must be isolated and handlers should wear gloves and use proper handwashing to help prevent spread. Vaccination of all animals, especially puppies is indicated in problem kennels. After initial vaccination as puppies, a yearly booster is recommended. However, some dogs that are at very high risk are vaccinated every six months.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&articleid=452

Haus got the squirt up his nose. He didn't like it too much, but I felt better knowing he had it.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Re: whoa! so much to know...

snarky said:
thanks Hausmommy

do you think baylee will be okay???
I'd suggest getting her to the vet and some antibiotics. Other than that, make sure you keep her hydrated and I'm sure she'll be fine :)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Poor Beautiful Baylee! :( Hope you feel better soon little girl!

If you are miffed at your vet for not vacc. ing her as they told you (and probably charged you for), find a new vet. Also, keep a file folder in a safe place (like a filing cabinent at least) and keep all the reciepts for all of her vet care and vacc history. That way it's all in one spot and all accounted for if you need it in the future.

·
Banned
4,815 Posts
Id be livid right now.. I hope all goes well for Baylee!! Im sure shell get better dont stress it too much snarky just keep us posted on baylees condition

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My vet said to give Harley Benadryl to help relieve the symptoms until the antibiotics kicked in. Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please help!!!!! I have a 8 weeks old English Bulldog

Greeting, I need your advice please.

We have a puppy (english bulldog) and he started doing like a dry cough yesterday after we gave him a warm bath because he was dirty (he was playing on the grass/sand).

He does not have a running nose and his eyes look normal... But he often does this horrible dry cough, like he is shocking.

He behaves normally, eats and do everything normally. We live in Phoenix (yes, I know it is hot) but he lives inside. There is always water available for him.

Please Please please I have to find a solution soon, I am leaving to San Diego (I am a naval officer) soon and I want to make sure he is OK until I come back home (I would be gone 8 days).

When sneezing, I noticed a little water on his nose.

Please advice and god bless..

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Hey BullD - the best thing to do is repost this as a new topic (use the button near the top of the health and exercise thread - then just copy and paste). It will get more response that way.

That said - what you're describing sounds like what my vet calls "reverse sneezing." There are lots of ideas on why this happens, but to me it seems like a spasm in the soft palate or throat muscles. It's very common in smaller dogs, but can happen to big dogs too. Is this something that just started? If he has kennel cough, he will be very snotty in his nose and eyes, and will have a fever.

But IMO, it's always better to be safe than sorry. If you're really worried about it, or it seems to be getting worse, talk to your vet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.