Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've always had a health concern for my OEB in regards to collars. do you think it would be better to put him on a harness?

i ask this because when my friend had a sharpei, she was telling me that it needed a harness because the pressure on the neck due to a collar would cause his esophagus (probably slaughtered that word) to collapse. i've heard the same for pugs. so i ask you beautiful dog experts here, for an OEB, is a collar ok? or do i need to get a harness?

tankie pulls mighty hard these days and coughs at his own fault. or maybe it's my fault for not having 4 legs. thanks.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I know harnesses are highly recommended for EB's especially because of their small trachea's and the fact that they can collapse. I'm not sure if OEB's have the same issues. I've just read a lot on EB's. I think all around anyway that a collar is nice for show but a harness should be used with a lead. (IMO)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i figured as much. it is a good idea quite honestly. thanks again bearsmom :p

·
Registered
122 Posts
They aren't so bad when you take it off and put it on all the time, Gus expects it to be on. Quick slide over the head, tuck in the paw, and snap it shut! It is also much easier than a collar on his breathing. I tried a collar on him after the harness, and he wouldn't move, so when i tugged gently, he would "scream/yelp" I felt so bad :cry:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Dogs pulling on the collar/leash to the point of esophogeal injury is NOT a health issue, but rather a training issue. Putting a harness on your dog won't stop his pulling....it will just allow him to pull harder by enabling him to use his entire body.

When a collar is properly fitted (& I suggest a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch collar for bulldog breeds), you should be able to fit 2 fingers underneath...nothing more & defnitely nothing less.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Miakoda said:
Dogs pulling on the collar/leash to the point of esophogeal injury is NOT a health issue, but rather a training issue. Putting a harness on your dog won't stop his pulling....it will just allow him to pull harder by enabling him to use his entire body.

When a collar is properly fitted (& I suggest a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch collar for bulldog breeds), you should be able to fit 2 fingers underneath...nothing more & defnitely nothing less.
I was simply stating a large amount EB's have small trachea's and a harness is a better option for a lead to attach to than a collar. Small trachea's and collapsing trachea's are health issues of EB's regardless of training issues which can also be present and are a seperate issue.

And if you also want to go the way of collars then surely you would want to avoid the buckle type. If the animal becomes entangled in any way and you need to free them the only choice is to tighten the buckle before it can be released which ends up choking them or having to run and find a knife/scissors to cut the collar free. Collars can also be caught in crates and strangle dogs and should be taken off before crating.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Small trachea's and collapsing trachea's are health issues of EB's regardless of training issues
I didn't say they weren't. I said that if it got to the point of an injury then training is the cause not genetics. We always had a collar on our EB (former AKC show dog) & still do on our OEB. We never had any problems with tracheal/esophogeal injuries b/c they were properly leash trained & did not pull but rather walked correctly beside us. And I gave a tip on how to properly fit a collar. I was under the impression that's what we were discussing.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Harnesses offer absolutely no control over a dog IMO. None of my dogs are EB's or OEB's. I do have a harness for Jazzy and I use it on her when we take her swimming because she shakes her head so much to clear her ears of water the her collar rubs her neck raw. Anyway, I hate walking her on the harness.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Kasco said:
Harnesses offer absolutely no control over a dog IMO. None of my dogs are EB's or OEB's. I do have a harness for Jazzy and I use it on her when we take her swimming because she shakes her head so much to clear her ears of water the her collar rubs her neck raw. Anyway, I hate walking her on the harness.
I agree that harnesses offer no control. I think its a matter of choice for each owner. I do own collars and harnesses. And right now during my OB training I am using the the choke collar on Bear and a harness on Molly. I have seen no difference in training either way. Both dogs are succeeding with all commands regardless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts