Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what kinds of collars you guys use for your dogs. We used to have a regular old nylon collar that was causing redness on the bottom of her neck. So, we switched to one that has a padding on the underside, which worked fine for awhile. Now, it looks like it's causing irritation again.

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Try a leather collar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last weekend we started taking it off when she's in the house. Which is more often than not. Maybe that and a leather collar.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Have you tried washing the plain nylon collar?

There could be so many things that could cause the irritation. Ide think the cheapest/easiest thing to try first would be a plain old washing. There could be dirt and grime imbedded in the collar that is causing the irritation. If you wash it, and it clears up then you know you need to wash her collar like once a week. If not - well then you can try some of the other ideas. At least if you wash the collar first - it wont cost you anything other then the few dollars it'll cost to wash it. Sure would hate to see you spend money on different types of collars only to end up with the same troubles once the other collars get dirty.
JM2C

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Most irritation occurs from either a dirty collar, one with too much texture (that's why I prefer leather), or simply because the area stays wet (from drool or water).

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
CC gets like that, It seems to help when she gets to run around naked :oops: she only wears a collar when she goes to work with me, and on her walks or she's out in the back yard(you never know when they will become an escape artist(hasn't happened yet)

My vet said that CC is probably alligeric(sp) to the dye they use in nylon collars.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Try www.stillwaterkennels.com & look at the collars made from seatbelt material. That's what we use on our dogs that really work their chains/tie-outs. I had one dog whose neck was actually raw & bleeding & the padded collar didn't help things. I switched to these types of collars & they work great.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Cookies Mom said:
CC gets like that, It seems to help when she gets to run around naked :oops: she only wears a collar when she goes to work with me, and on her walks or she's out in the back yard(you never know when they will become an escape artist(hasn't happened yet)

My vet said that CC is probably alligeric(sp) to the dye they use in nylon collars.
sorry, but i just need to comment on how gorgeous your dog is!!!!!!!!!
SOOOO pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! honestly, one of the best looking bullies i've seen.

and about the collars....... my Patch even scratches when it's not on.... the nylon one we had previously was worse than the leather studded one we have on him now though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts