Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is best for American Bulldogs--minimal color and lots of white or lots of color? Or is there not really a breed preference but just owner preference?

Do American Bulldogs with lots of white on the ever have problems with being born/or later going blind or deaf? My sister has raised Australian Shepherds since 1971. If that breed has too much white on the face they are almost always deaf or blind or both.

Thanks,
Marna
http://www.hullperformancehorses.com

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Don't Aussies have blue eyes? I believe it's usually when a dog is white with blue eyes they are deaf.
Not sure about the AmBulls, but I think they're supposed to be mostly white.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blue Eyes

Yes, Aussies can have blue eyes but not always and can have one brown and one blue. The deafness and blindness occurs when there is not enough pigment around the eyes--no colored hair, all white. A friend raises and shows dals and this also a problem in that breed. However, I have never heard of this problem in the AB's plus since so many are solid white I thought it must not be an issue. However, I wanted to check.

Thanks,
Marna
http://www.hullperformancehorses.com

·
Registered
626 Posts
blue eyes and white coat are both linked to deafness.so when you have both the chances are greater but it doesnt mean that a white dog with blue eyes is always deaf .i have had many blue eyed white dogs that were not deaf.as far as color goes on an ab white is the most common from the foundation of the breed called a white english.when you see red /brown= eb/st. bernard/pit influiance is suspected.black color =pit/mastiff influance. brindle=eb/mastiff/pit influance.someone will prob.get upset but abs are a cross of bull breeds and other breeds as well.everyone has there preferance...rs

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I never really worried about it till we bred our first litter this summer. Then all my friends and family who raise other breeds got me somewhat concerned after listening to their experiences.

Marna

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
hullmarn said:
Thanks! I never really worried about it till we bred our first litter this summer. Then all my friends and family who raise other breeds got me somewhat concerned after listening to their experiences.

Marna
You bred your first litter of Ambulls?

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Hmmm...just thnking that you would've done your research on coloring before breeding. :dontknow:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Kasco said:
Hmmm...just thnking that you would've done your research on coloring before breeding. :dontknow:
:withstupid: :-k

·
Registered
704 Posts
AB's white is generally different that the white in other breeds...most other breeds with deafness or blindness issues realted to pigmentation lack skin pigmentation..thier skin is pink, thier eye rims and noses are pink, etc. AB's can be white, but they have a darker pigmentation..black eye rims and noses, black spots on the skin under the coat, etc. I'm not saying there are not blind or deaf AB's out there, but the cases are much rarer than with other breeds. The other breeds tend to be more of an albino type, lacking any kind of pigmentation.

Now, as far as research, I tend to agree. It is extremely important to understand the breed you are breeding thouroughly before breeding them. Color may seem minor, but it is still a big part of breeding..right along with pedigrees, temperament, health, history, etc.

May I ask how your dogs are bred?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks.

Yes, I had done research before the breeding. None of the more local breeders had said the white was a problem (the pigmentation was brought up). I just got nervous when breeders of other breeds mentioned it--mainly the Dals and Aussies--and thought I would ask here. Sorry I hadn't worded my email to fully reflect that.

Bloodlines include:
MGK's Damien
Simons Duke of Earl
Johnsons Rebel Rouiser 3
Johnsons Collette 10
Tink's Ol' Country
Dailey's Kodiak
Heil's Rough Times Brindle Sue

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I think from a breeder's standpoint that color should be the LEAST of your worries.

What about temperament and working ability? What have your dogs accomplished?

Hips? Did you certify them before breeding?

NCL? Do any testing for that?

Boy this forum has been attracting alot of breeders as of late. This breed is going down the tubes fast. Popularity will ruin this breed yet.

Sorry to sound bitter but this breed really doesnt need any more breeders....at least not the type this board seems to attract. Hopefully I am off base and you have everything covered, but for some reason I doubt that. However, I do see you are involved wiht Performance Horses so maybe that has carried over to the dogs and you can prove me wrong!

Look forward to hearing more about your (dog) breeding goals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We are in the performance horse industry, quarter horses mostly but occasionally some paint horses. My husband is a full time horse trainer. The horse industry takes a lot of whacks about backyard breeders as well. Many whacks considering the number of abused, starving and unwanted horses out there--same problems as in the dog world.

My dog breeding goals......not to really be a dog breeder, but if we do decide raise pups to be the kind of breeder my sister and many friends are. VERY good and ethical--covering all bases with the dogs as we do with horses. We had the one litter and which is probably the first and last. I have a good friend who shows mastiffs. She bred her champion female one time and then spayed her. She, along with a number of those raising that breed, want to keep the numbers low.

The reason we bred this summer was because our dogs travel with us all the time to horse shows. Pretty much two or three weekends per month. All love our dogs and want ABs now. We try to educate people on bullys, etc, while out with the dogs. To be good ambassadors of the breed. My husband is very quick to tell people that one of the reasons our dogs are so good/smart/well behaved is because he works at home on the farm, is with the dogs all day and spends a lot of time with the dog training as well. (Our two dogs are not kennel dogs, they live the high life on the couch. lol) Good dogs don't just happen in my opinion.

How does one become get rid of the name "backyard breeder". I mean, for example every breeder starts somewhere, they all have a first litter, and most make mistakes along the way to having the "perfect" dogs. It's taken my sister since 1971 to get her aussies where she wants them. And she is still always trying to improve her lines. I know how the backyard breeding works in the horse industry. But not in the dog world.

In the horse industry mentoring is very common in the circles I am in whether for breeders or owners. People are extremely helpful to newbies and take them under their wings to help them along the way, help them learn the ropes about the event or breed they own.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Thank you for the explanation.

Are your AB's performance dogs? If so what is it that they perform? AB's are a working breed (I am sure you knew that), just find it odd that you wouldn't suggest to the people who want AB's to just adopt one that needs a home? No offence, but your reply was very vague and by the sounds of it your dogs don't sound like anything special. Again, I apologize if I am wrong but thats the impression I am getting.
:p

Jumping back off my soapbox now :lol:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Mentoring is great and used often (not often enough IMO) in the dog world also. The best way would be to have a mentor first, learn all you can about the breed, and what kind of work you will be doing to proove your dogs. Breeders that I myself wouldn't consider byb would be exceptionally knowledgeable about the breed, have proven (not only in shows but in obedience, protection work, weight pulling, etc..) working stock, free and clear from health problems (keeping up to date on tests and new health concerns) along with having a good health guarantee and taking back any pups or dogs you sold that people can no longer care for, and rescuing others. For me personally (which most people unfourtunatley don't seem to care) I would have to make sure the breeder was not overvaccinating and understanding of natural health care. These chemicals in foods medications, etc... lead to a lot of the health problems out there.

Keep in mind I am not a breeder. I just have a strong love for bully breeds. There are lots of other things that I don't have time to list. There is a byb thread that is a sticky (I think), give it a look at. And keep talking to people like Lisa and Attitude, they are very knowledgeable on the AB breed.

As for breeding your dogs once and then that's it, why? That can shorten their lives and increase their chances of cancer. If your dogs are beloved pets having them altered before puberty is best.

:)

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Re: Blue Eyes

hullmarn said:
Yes, Aussies can have blue eyes but not always and can have one brown and one blue. The deafness and blindness occurs when there is not enough pigment around the eyes--no colored hair, all white.
At what age do the eyes change and why are puppies' eyes blue anyway?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aussies that are born with one or two blue eyes keep the blue eyes. Just part of the breed. Like Paint horses--many of those will have one or two blue eyes, just like the Aussies.

I grew up with Aussies but switched to ABs and am loving them much more. When we told people a few years ago that we were making the switch to a bulldog they were appalled--kept saying I can't believe you are going to buy one and have a business at home. I asked them, "have you ever owned an Aussie? I have never met a more protective, biting breed." If I go to a farm and see an Aussie--I NEVER get out of the truck! LOL!

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
hullmarn said:
If I go to a farm and see an Aussie--I NEVER get out of the truck! LOL!
LOL :laughing6:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts