Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question was on another forum. I've been researching into colorings and such, and began to wonder what Haus is. Some think he's blue fawn, but he has a blue nose. Someone said smut maybe, but he's lighter than that. So I'm asking you all.

Here is the site I'm refering to:

http://www.apbtconformation.com/apbt_colors.htm

The closest one on there to Haus is the cinnamon one. Any ideas?

Edit:
I suppose a picture would help!

A good shot of the marking on his head. It goes from blue to tan, this is why I think smut.

A side view:

A rear view. You can see on the back of his legs where it's the same as his head.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks E-Dogg. That's what I originally thought. But all of the blue fawns I've seen have a red nose.

·
Registered
143 Posts
HausMommy said:
Thanks E-Dogg. That's what I originally thought. But all of the blue fawns I've seen have a red nose.
Hmm, I have to think about that. My initial reply wants to say, nose color isn't an issue or the "kicker" but I'd have to look through my plethora of pics from APBT conformation shows to see.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I'm just not looking close enough, or hard enough. Hmmm....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can you figure out mine?

I love my baby girl! Eva is 6 months, purebred pit (UKC), and has this coloring that I can't really figure out... blue fawn? fawn? red? Here's some pics.

She also has a TON of black spots on her skin. you can see them through her white fur but has no effect on her red fur. Are these birthmarks? Her mom was a brindle- anything to do with that?
I want to breed her very bad- she has this face I could die for. She has a "gay" tail, however, so after her first litter, if they have gay tails as well, I'll give up. But I was wondering if anyone knows what will happen if I breed her with a black or blue stud? her sire had the same coloring, her mom was brown brindle.
Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh I know that hehe I was just wondering if her patches were fawn/ blue fawn/ red or what cuz piebald can be any color black/white red/white you know? Cuz if she's red I'll breed her with a black sire, fawn with a blue sire. I think she's fawn because of her mask- most reds ive seen dont have that mask.
By the way, before I start getting lectures, I know I may be dubbed a backyard breeder. I want to become a full-time breeder when I get out of college and have the financial backing. However, I just want to say that I DON'T want to make money, I do have papers on her 4 generations, and I do intend to keep at least two of the puppies for pets and maybe show if they dont have the gay tail. They're all getting spayed/neutered before I sell them, even if I have to keep every single one myself. I've worked in shelters and seen the number of pits put to sleep. I'm studying to become an animal cop and currently foster 3 pit bull mixes in addition to Eva. I LOVE ALL ANIMALS. Please, if you have a constructive comment leave it! But I see a lot of people ripped up on these boards and I don't want to become a casualty...
Okay that said please help? Ijus t want to know what color pups I'll end up getting.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This is in reply to meo62..

I love my baby girl! Eva is 6 months, purebred pit (UKC), and has this coloring that I can't really figure out... blue fawn? fawn? red? Here's some pics.
If she is UKC reg what do her papers say her color is? I think she is white with red spots/patches or some people people might consider her fawn to. I would not call her blue fawn since I don't see any blue tones anywhere.

She also has a TON of black spots on her skin. you can see them through her white fur but has no effect on her red fur. Are these birthmarks? Her mom was a brindle- anything to do with that?
The spots is pigment on her skin. Her moms brindle coloring has no bearing on her having spotted skin pigment.

I want to breed her very bad- she has this face I could die for. She has a "gay" tail, however, so after her first litter, if they have gay tails as well, I'll give up. But I was wondering if anyone knows what will happen if I breed her with a black or blue stud? her sire had the same coloring, her mom was brown brindle.
Having a face to "die for" I wouldn't consider a good reason to breed a dog. A gay tail is a fault but what would be the purpose of breeding her? Most likely some will have gay tail set and others will not. If you don't care about breeding quality and correct dogs then why do you care if you produce more dogs like her? Not "ripping" you at all, just honestly wondering. If you don't care to show or breed to the APBT standard and will breed a dog with faults why are you concerned if the pups come out with the same faults, as it will be highly likely that some will. Also gay tail is only a minor fault, I'd be more worried about other faults, structure problems and health problems then a mere gay tail.

I think you should learn about more about why one should breed or not breed. This isn't meant to be a boring lecture so please don't take it as such. If you want to breed you need to focus on breeding for whats important when producing pups especially health, structure and temperament. And finding a stud that is compatible with your female and also makes up for any weakness and not be concerned with what color he is. You should also study genetics in the breed, including color.

What color of dog you breed her too and what the pups will look like can vary a lot, so no one can give you any definate answers. It depends on genetics. A dog can be black and carry a number of different genes and produce pups of various colors. She could end up with a litter that is mainly black, black & white, or you could end up with a litter that has some black, some red, some fawn, or some that are black, red, fawn, brindle, buckskin, some with mask and some without, some solid, some with white, it can be any number of those in any one litter depending on the studs genes you breed her to. But you should definatly have black pups since this color is dominant. If you breed her to a blue male you'll likely get get a litter of red, fawn & brown dogs similar to what she is and blue is recessive and her color will dominate and the litter will look like her.

Cuz if she's red I'll breed her with a black sire, fawn with a blue sire. I think she's fawn because of her mask- most reds ive seen dont have that mask.
Why would you breed her to a black male if she is red and blue male if she is fawn? This really makes no sense. You should breed her to the best male possible despite color. You should know what color she is and no matter what people tell you she is red, brown, fawn she is still the same color that she is. I just don't understand how breeding a black/red or a fawn/blue is a good breeding decision. What would one hope to gain from this?

Breeding a fawn dog to a black dog wouldn't be a problem, why would you only want to breed a red dog to a black dog but not a fawn? Breeding a fawn or red dog to a blue dog wouldn't be a problem either, unless I'm missing something. It will give the same outcome a litter of red or fawn pups. So I'm uncertain at what your point is. Please explain.

By the way, before I start getting lectures, I know I may be dubbed a backyard breeder. I want to become a full-time breeder when I get out of college and have the financial backing.
If you don't want to be dubbed a byb, then it is up to you to not become one. You have the power to chose if you will be a byb or a responsible breeder. Before you go off and decide to breed you need to become educated instead of making uneducated breeding choices. You need to research the breed, genetics, your dogs lines, ect You need to learn as much as you can and have a clear set of goals and a realistic way to reach them. Instead of just breeding any 2 dogs together. Anyway I'd stay stick and around and keep asking questions, its one of the best ways to learn and I think people here are willing to help if you want to be a good breeder and not a byb. Your heart is in the right place.

However, I just want to say that I DON'T want to make money, I do have papers on her 4 generations, and I do intend to keep at least two of the puppies for pets and maybe show if they dont have the gay tail. They're all getting spayed/neutered before I sell them, even if I have to keep every single one myself. I've worked in shelters and seen the number of pits put to sleep. I'm studying to become an animal cop and currently foster 3 pit bull mixes in addition to Eva. I LOVE ALL ANIMALS.
Having papers on her doens't make her breeding quality. What bloodlines is she and what dogs are in her 1st four generations. Those will be major contribiters to what she will produce. Keeping pups I believe is the proper thing to do, otherwise you are just a puppy peddler breeding to sell pups/make money. I also think it is very responsible to have them spayed/neutered so that they don't go on the be breed for no reason or even by accident. I also like to hear when breeders do rescue/foster work and don't just breed and add more dogs.

Ijus t want to know what color pups I'll end up getting.
Lastly while its fine to be curious how a litter will turn out in color and looks, its one of the least important things to consider when deciding to do a breeding. Important things to consider are health, temperament, conformation, structure, bloodlines, ect What your dog is and what the stud is and how those genes from both sides will positivly contribute to their offspring and any possible negatives.

No one can tell you what the pups will look like especially if you breed her to a black dog. If you breed her to a blue dog then the pups will look like her color, but one can't say what they will all look like some might be solid red, or brown, others fawn, some might be those colors with white markings and others might have a lot of what like her with red, brown, or fawn patches. Pups color depends more on just the parents color, it depends on their genes. If you breed her to a black dog you could have a varying range of colors or limited colors depending on his genes, you would certainly have black pups. But you could have black, white, brindle, brown, fawn, red, buckskin, red nose, ect This is not what you WILL have a its possibility depending on what genes the black male has.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
So, um, like, if I breed Bella with a black dog, what colors will I get? What if I breed her with her brother Haus? Would the puppies be cute or deformed?

Ok, sorry. I'm such a jerk sometimes. :lol:
hehe...lol :lol: They are so cute.

·
Registered
38 Posts
See this is exactly what I didn't want to happen. Did you read my post? I said constructive comments! Thank you True Pits, your reply was exactly what I needed to hear. I love my dog and think she is very beautiful but you're right I need to learn a lot! That's why I came to this message board, to talk to people who know what they're doing so I can learn!! See how little I know- I thought if you bred a fawn to a black you'd get all black pups, and a red to a blue all red pups. But I don't know! That was my first question and I learned a lot, such as the fact that colors aren't important! I don't need comments like "what does color matter." Tell me what matters! I know temperment and conformation matter, she is the biggest sweetie and SO obedient and currently fits conformation besides her tail, and I fully intend to find a male that does too! So what else matters- no seriously, tell me, because I just don't know. You're right- I know nothing about weight pull or agility sports, please inform me but do it constructively don't be an @$$ about it because I want to do this right it's my first time and I'm not learning anything from your smart comments!!! See how True Pits gave me information as well as constructively critisizing me? THAT is what I need. Those other posts had no information in them. Please, I want to become a very responsible breeder and I need the help of others. The books I check out in the library can't answer questions, but hopefully some people on here can.
In any case, Eva is only 6 months and I'm going to wait until she's 1.5 or 2 years before I breed her (3rd heat). That gives me a good year+. I'm just doing research, don't flip out on me, I'm hear to learn so I do it right and don't have her puppies sent to the shelter. She has been tested thoroughly for health problems and has none so far and her hips are great, but she's still young. I need the people on here who really want to help people like me who don't know what they are doing and want to learn! Please HELP me don't CUT ME UP and don't pretend that you are trying to be helpful when you are just critisizing. If you don't want me to do it wrong, tell me how to do it right.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts