Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a male Blue Brindle and I'd like to keep that color going since it is kind of rare. I don't have much knowledge about breeding. Will breeding produce blue pups, or are there more dominant colors that will come through. And can I better the chances of blue pups by breeding with another blue? Thanks for the input!

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
ermm probably best not to breed, have a look in our breeding section. The colouring isn't that rare, if you do a search on www.petfinder.com . I think you will find a few.

Just a warning, breeding is not the best plan, all our members here are trying to prevent BSL hitting their area, but with all the byb'ing going on........well neways, stick around, but be ready for the replies!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The blue color is actaully a genetic fault in the APBT. If you were to breed your boy, good chance other colors would come out since they are the dominant gene colors.

When you breed your boy, you would want to do it to better the breed not just for the color of him. There are so many horrible things that can go wrong with breeding a female that you want both (your dog and the bitch you choose) to be proven, THE best speciman out there

*I'm editing because I thought his dog was a girl... nope its a boy, my bad

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
He's talking about blue brindle, not blue. But I agree, not a good idea to breed unless you really know your stuff and have done your research. Breeding for color does not produce quality.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
He's talking about blue brindle, not blue.
I thought they would be the same thing? :?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Well, they're both blues, but you hardly ever see blue brindle. It's like a blue marbled with a tan/brownish color. Hard to explain.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
bella_blue said:
Why are you breeding for color above anything else?
He's not yet, and I'm sure he just doesn't understand the implications of breeding for color, without any knowledge of breeding. We can educate. There's still hope if we can explain in a diplomatic, constructive way! :D

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Sorry, I meant to say "considering breeding." And I certainly didn't mean to be non-diplomatic and non-constructive. :)

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
bella_blue said:
Sorry, I meant to say "considering breeding." And I certainly didn't mean to be non-diplomatic and non-constructive. :)
No no... I didn't mean that you were. I'm just saying IN GENERAL, if he gets flamed like 99% of the other people asking questions on this board, he won't take any knowledge with him.

Sorry if that came across like I was referring to your post! xoxo

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Man, it's so hard to read people on the internet sometimes! I'm the kind of person who likes to pick a person's brain, though, which is why I asked why he wants to breed for color. If we can find out why he thinks breeding for color is a good idea, we can better tailor our advice, I think. Ahh...what do I know? :lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never said that breeding for color was a good idea. I was just curious about the genetics of coloring because so many have told me that blue brindle is rare. It was a question of curiosity, trying to figure out how the coloring genetics works. I am not breeding for color, in fact I am not considering breeding at all at this point. I do not have the knowledge, time, or resources YET. But I will breed my boy in the future, which is the entire reason why I joined the forum in the first place! :D

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Whoever told you that blue brindle is rare doesn't really know what he/she is talking about. It may be a less commonly seen color, but it is by no means rare, especially not with fad kennels pumping them out like crazy. Color should not be a deciding factor on breeding your dog. He should be a superstar in the show ring or have other titles (weightpulling, agility, obedience, etc.) out the butt and have had all of his testing for genetic disorders prior to breeding. What kind of activities do you do with your boy?

·
Registered
790 Posts
more backyard bred pits........

great.

another 300 dollar pit.

Please visit a pound first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Me and my pup enjoy alot of activities. He goes running with me, he loves to go on hikes through the woods, and we've begun swimming. He is more of a companion and friend than anything. But why am i being grilled about this? I don't feel that I should have to be on the defensive here.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Bama said:
Me and my pup enjoy alot of activities. He goes running with me, he loves to go on hikes through the woods, and we've begun swimming. He is more of a companion and friend than anything. But why am i being grilled about this? I don't feel that I should have to be on the defensive here.
please read my post in the other topic titled "breeding" in this section and you will see what you dog needs to have before it is proven to be worthy enough to be breed. Once you have proven all of that, and your dog has proven itsself worthy of being breed for his temperment, health and the like and not for color.... then go for it if you have found a bitch who has proven herself also

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kate said:
Bama said:
please read my post in the other topic titled "breeding" in this section and you will see what you dog needs to have before it is proven to be worthy enough to be breed. Once you have proven all of that, and your dog has proven itsself worthy of being breed for his temperment, health and the like and not for color.... then go for it if you have found a bitch who has proven herself also
Cool thanks. I assure you that its not something that I'm going to blindly stumble into. It may be something that I won't do at all. I'm trying do good for me and my pup. :)

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
The blue brindle you speak of is called "merile" blue merile. In all bully breeds it is a fault not desired color. This is rare for the fact that good breeders want it out of their lines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts