Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some more commands, and more importantly the strategy behind them. Zeus has sit, stay, down, come, shake, high-five, and 90% there with bow. He also now pretty much has heal, fetch, drop-it, leave-it, and down (this is the worst one still needing work though).

What else is beneficial to teach? He really gets into his training sessions, but I am running out of ideas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Teach him to play dead when you give the command "Bang Bang".

Bam Bam has learned sit, stay(mostly), and shake or paw. I am having trouble with him when it comes to recall. He will listen to "come here" and sometimes obey but when there are any distractions or if we're outside there's no listening. He just gets excited and there's no stopping him.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My dog's also learn a "go to" command, as in go to your bed, go to a specific person etc. "on your side" works great for clipping nails, lol. "roll over" no explanation needed, lol. "paws up" on an object.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
The first command my dogs learned was "watch me". It teaches them to give their full attention to you. "Leave it" is one that's used in our house daily! LOL We use it to make them drop something or when we want their attention diverted away from something. We don't have it down-pat yet, but we're working on it! :lol:

·
Registered
979 Posts
My dogs know "far" when they're off lead. Also I find "stand/Stay" is great for examination and grooming, as is 'roll over'.

Paula

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
My dogs know "far" when they're off lead. Also I find "stand/Stay" is great for examination and grooming, as is 'roll over'.

Paula
What's "Far" for?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Kasco said:
PaulaEdwina said:

Paula
What's "Far" for?
I learned it from my neighbor and her dogs. When we're out off lead and they're ranging too far ahead 'far' means you're getting too far away and they circle back. It's different from recall because I don't want them to come back to me, I just don't want them to go any further. It's funny to see. They'd be out ahead playing and I'll holler "far" and they'd start playing towards me.

Oh, and the other one is 'with me' which is an off lead heel but not necesarily at heel position - just next to me as opposed to ahead.

Paula

·
Registered
251 Posts
I learned it from my neighbor and her dogs. When we're out off lead and they're ranging too far ahead 'far' means you're getting too far away and they circle back. It's different from recall because I don't want them to come back to me, I just don't want them to go any further. It's funny to see. They'd be out ahead playing and I'll holler "far" and they'd start playing towards me.
That's very clever but how would you teach it

Yemi

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yemi said:
That's very clever but how would you teach it

Yemi
Well they learned it from my neighbor's dogs but I imagine 'far' is an incomplete recall. A 'come' reinforced before they get to you. So my dogs are clickered so I would approach it this way.

If I hollered Far they'd come see what I was up to so half way to me I'd C/T and release('OKAY') them and send them back out.

Paula
Paula

·
Registered
99 Posts
"Stand." Not on her hind legs, but on all four from a seated position. Comes in handy when she comes in from a muddy yard: First she sits so that we can wipe her front paws, then she "stands" so we can wipe her rear paws.
Commands that substitute for, IMHO, the sometimes misuse of the "Come" command:
"Follow me" is a good substitute for come, it means I'm going this way, please "follow me."
"This way."
"Let's go."
"Far" or "Wait"
"Street" when we approach a crosswalk and we want her to sit before we cross the street.
Finally:
"Count." I hold up 3 fingers and Vega barks 3 times.
"Wave Good-bye." Very few things are cuter than a "Viscious" Pit Bull waving good-bye.
If interested, PM me on the last two and I can tell you how.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts