Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving into a townhouse that has a back balcony but a communal backyard with grass, no gate and is quite private. Any others out there in this living situation? And what how did it work with your doggie?

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
We live in an apartment building with our 10 month old AB. We have a balcony but no backyard. As long as you dont mind taking your dog out then you should be happy. Everytime our girl has to go to the batroom, I have to leash her, and take her down a flight of stairs to go out. I don't mind at all. I walk her for at least an hour every day to keep her exercised and happy since she doesnt have a backyard for her to run around in. It works out well for me too because it makes me exercise. You just have to make sure sufficiently exercise your dog because a tired dog is a good dog :p What kind of bully do you have?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's a Valley Bulldog. I will force me to go for walks more often and that's not a bad thing! We are still deciding on this place but that was the only downside so I wanted some opinions on whether it can still work or not. Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live with Caroline in a one room apartment with no balcony and a couple acres of communal yards. It can work, along as you make sure that the dog gets plenty of excercise, and that you focus on basic obedience training with your dog.

About twice a week I take Caroline to a doggy daycare/trainer. That helps a lot to ensuere that she gets adequated excercise.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
I agree, with lots of excersice it can work. I live in a fairly small duplex with my mom and AB and we have a good sized backyard. We use to live in an apartment and that also worked fine too. It was a bit hard potty training in the apartment though because we had to go downstairs to let her out but that was on our fault, or I should say my fault for being just a bit too lazy #-o

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'll second the part about housebreaking taking a little more time and patience. If youre puppy isn't fully housebroke yet, be prepared for the occasional accident in the aparment. It took me about six months of constant work before Caroline was fully potty trained.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your responses! Well she is almost 5 months old now and it has been almost a month since any accident in the house (not sure if I would say she is potty trained yet though....don't want to jinx it!). I am a little concerned about where to take her for a pee. I would probably get a nice bill from the condo board if they had to resod the grass behind my place. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Are there sidewalks with little pathes of grass on the side? You could walk her over there and have her pee and poo there. If that's not an option, they have special green tablet things that you feed your dog that prevent the pee from staining the grass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.