Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have three rhodesian ridgebacks and am active in rhodesian ridgeback rescue. I've had dogs for some years now and am an avid clicker trainer. Someone has offered me an unspayed, untrained 9month old bitch who is American Bulldog/Pit mix.
I am not really concerned about her lack of training - I'll train her. I am only going to take her if her current owners agree to spay her themselves.

Anyway I live in rural PA on two acres - the yard is fenced around the house just under one acre in the woods. I've never had a bulldog though I've always admired the type. I think the bulldog would be a good addition and match my youngest ridgeback's (Yoshi who is 5) physical condition and level of activity (my other two ridgies are 9 and 10yrs old). There are great hiking trails up where I live and I fully intend to train and socialize this dog (she is currently living in a house with two greyhound, two chinese crested, cats and two small children so I take this as a good sign).

I won't see her until Saturday, but I thought I'd lurk on this board to learn more about bullies.

Thanks,
Paula

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
They are stubborn little guys. You have been warned. Just be ready b/c they can be stubborn. But in my experience they are also very intelligent. They are great dogs to have. And since you have experience training I am sure you would not have a problem. Good luck. Would love to see pics when you get her. We are a little picture happy around here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Pitbulls/pit mixes make great pets! It sounds like she has had a fairly good start on life, with all the socialization with the other pets, and kids. Do you have any pictures of your Rhods? I love Rhodesian Ridgebacks, they are beautiful dogs! I hope everything works out for you and the little bully girl!

Ket

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to try to post a pic of my ridgebacks. The largest one is Yoshi aged 5, the middle one is Milo aged 9 and the smallest on is Nandi aged 10.

Thanks for the heads up on stubborness. I must be a magnet for difficult breeds because the ridgeback wasn't especially bred to give a crap what you want. They were meant to work on their own so they can be stubborn as well.

Paula

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know Leeann. I'll keep you guys updated if I get her.

Paula

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I bet she is a cutie pie and It sounds like a great pack

BUT since the rescue is a Pit/AB mix dog aggression could be a problem..you may want to see if the dogs will accept each other and she accept them

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
angie7349 said:
I bet she is a cutie pie and It sounds like a great pack

BUT since the rescue is a Pit/AB mix dog aggression could be a problem..you may want to see if the dogs will accept each other and she accept them
I'm hoping the fact that she's currently living with two greyhounds and two chinese cresteds bodes well. In any case, if we move forwared I agree my next step is to see how she does with my dogs.

Paula

·
Registered
251 Posts
Leeann is correct, my Daisy is an APBT/AB mix. She is only around 4 months old, but she is turning out to be a great dog so far. She (Daisy) is probably going to be in the 60-70 lb range. If you are used to Rhodesian's, the stubornness, probably wont be anything new to you, but she does have a stubborn streak a mile wide. I take both of mine (Daisy and Chaucer, a Newf mix) out on trails and whatnot quite a bit and they love it. If you have that much area, I definitely envy you. Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
She's still young enough that you can't judge by the fact she's living with other dogs now whether she will be dog aggressive or not. When you are dealing with pits and pit mixes it is best to assume the worst - that at some point she will be dog aggressive. If you are not willing to crate and rotate dogs if/when that happens you should not get her.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
tohall said:
She's still young enough that you can't judge by the fact she's living with other dogs now whether she will be dog aggressive or not. When you are dealing with pits and pit mixes it is best to assume the worst - that at some point she will be dog aggressive. If you are not willing to crate and rotate dogs if/when that happens you should not get her.
Agreed!!! If having the dog romp with your RR's be preapred for it not too last too long. If you aren't prepared for possible dog aggression you may want to pass up the offer and go with a breed where this is less likely to occur.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that frank disclosure. You are saying that even at 9 months her temperament isn't established? That would be a serious consideration.

I appreciate your honest opinions.

Paula

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:
Thanks for that frank disclosure. You are saying that even at 9 months her temperament isn't established? That would be a serious consideration.

Paula
Paula - I agree with what everyone has said - there are people on this board who have experiences with dogs that were really great with other dogs until a certain age and then BAM - dog aggression - sometimes it occurs as they reach adulthood closer to age 2 but sometimes before that or sometimes after - then there are dogs that never become dog aggressive - you just need to be prepared to deal with it if it does occur.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
PaulaEdwina said:

Paula
A lot (if not most) pit bulls and other bully breeds don't fully mature until 2, 3, or even 4 years of age. It's not uncommon for pit bulls to love being in the company of other dogs until they fully mature. Dog aggression can manifest itself early in these breeds, but it often doesn't arise until maturity.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I do think your living situation is ideal for a bully breed though. With lots of places to exercise and with the trails, they love that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I speak from personal experience..dog aggresion in bullbreeds is more common than uncommon. I have had dogs that showed no signs of dog aggression until 3 years of age..others that started as young as 9 months. It really depends on the dog and how dominant they are. Also, you can have a bulldog that has shown no signs of aggression..have that dog come across a dog that challenges it and BAM..you have a fight. While the bulldogs tend not to look for fights, they definitely don't back down from one.

Not saying this to scare you...this female could be an amazing dog. Just be prepared that one day you may have to either crate and rotate, or kennel to keep the peace.

Besides all that, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I met her at her foster home. She is short and stocky like a pitbull but not quite enough wedge in the face? Looks like a pit.

1. I had her in the yard wtih the woman's two greyhounds (apparently her small dogs don't like the foster). She interacted well with them.

2. I offered all three a treat which I withheld to add a little stress to see if she would become defensive or resouce agressive. She did not.

3. The treat was small in order for me to gauge how soft she was in the mouth. She was all lips and carefully took the treat. She has a soft mouth.

4. She loved her toys but I was able to take the toys from her in mid chew and tug them easily from her. Teased her a little with the toy, she would grip but release right away.

5. Handled her all over her body - I forgot to handle her feet though. Grabbed her face, her ears, etc. Gave her kisses and such. Also rubbed her belly. She went right over on her back without any issues.

This is a better evaluation than even with my youngest ridgie when he was a pup. She's a softie. Her age is anywhere between 9months and a year and she is unspayed.

Tomorrow I'm taking my old bitch (as the other female)and Yoshi (Milo is a diplomat - I've never had to worry about him with strange dogs) to meet her at the vet's office in the lobby. If this works out I think I'll be having another dog!

Paula

1 - 20 of 40 Posts