Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a gentle leader for Pippi. I am only using it for walks to a crowded park, and to obedience class. It definatly makes a difference in her pulling. She really doesn't like it too much though, so when its just her and I walking early in the day or just around the neighborhood, I use her regular harness which I am very comfortable with.
Our trainer suggested I use the gentle leader all the time, so the dog doesn't feel resentful towards it. Does anyone have experience with using the leader only occasionally?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I only use the gentle leader when I take them out to the kids games or when the kids walk them. They know when I grab the leader there will be lots of kids and fun. When I walk them I use a traditional collar and they've learned that means we have to behave we're going with mom.

·
Registered
449 Posts
DITTO! I use it when going to parks, family outtings at my sisters, etc. Anywhere there is alot of people and distractions. I use her regular collar to go on our walks. However, I do grab the leader on my way out and show it to her. She knows that I will put it on her if she acts out. And I don't hesitate... if she starts pulling too hard because she's distracted, I will put it on her and she calms down.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! Thats kinda what I have been thinking and doing....only using it when necessary. We take my 86yr old Dad to a park each evening and there are always lots of people and dogs. I have to slow her down, cause the old man doesn't walk too fast :) It's helped alot using it there, although people look at her as if she is some kind of mean, nasty dog.....when all she really wants is to meet everone!! She gets very excited, especially around other doggies.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Oh I get looks too. I've even had people go out of their way to cross the street. I was not having a good morning one day and I was walking her with the gentle leader because I wasn't in the mood to deal with any pulling issues, and why take my frustrations out on her. Ya know? I wanted a productive walk for both of us. We both had energy to burn. Anyway, this couple with twins in a stroller were walking toward me on the same side of the street. Well when they got to the corner they both were looking at me walking. Zelda's tail started wagging and she always looks like she's smiling and the mother pointed to the dad to go the other way. As they were turning we approached the corner and I heard him saying, "That's a pitt bull. No wonder she has a muzzle on him. Must be vicious." Now I don't normally make a habit of saying anything to anyone because their stupid, but I did. I turned around and said, "It's not a muzzle and she is not a pitt bull. Not that I have to explain anything to you but she is a Rott/American Bulldog, who is the sweetest puppy in the world, and she's wearing this "gentle lead" collar to help train her not to pull. Is that ok with you?" Can I just tell you that they were speechless. They just looked at me and her and I said, "Have a nice day!" I don't care what people think about that collar. Anyone who knows anything about dogs know exactly what it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup....I don't care about what others think, but I do think that their perceptions of a dog looking like mine/ours (with the GL) is so off base. I've been ignoring the "looks" for the most part....its their loss not to say hello to such a great doggie!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
The Gentle Leader works great for the pulling, but the only thing I don't like about it is it's hard to switch back to the flat collar. With a prong collar, it's more easier to switch to a flat collar and "weane" them of it.

Zeldasmom, I know exactly what your talking about :roll: Especially, since the store only had black so it's not like you can barely see it on her white fur. But I don't care what people think, anyone with brains would know the dog can still open there mouth, a tiny strip of nylon isn't going to stop them lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts