Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry,a lil off topic...taken a couple of days ago..

me, shooting a grid...random flock of sheep in the background..

me w/ some random kids we found out in the middle of nowhere...

dismounted in a local village...

Brian (my team medic) and I dismounted...

These next two are from a feast that was given in my teams honor, hosted by a local sheik...Sheik Essa (pronounced ee-suh). He's this really funny old man, probably the most powerful tribal leader in our AO. He doesn't speak a lick of English, but he and I have developed a form of sign/mime/charades that seems to work out well for us. So anyway, he always throws out a serious spread. Sheik Essa's feasts are the best around. Good food, good variety, huge feasts...here's a pic of the lamb tray....

So, in case you didn't catch that, lets just get a closer look at that tray...

Yep, thats a lamb. And thats its head...teeth, eyeballs, everything, its all there. All they do is skin the whole thing, then cook it. And that thing about where his a$$ is located is called the fat-back. And apparently is a delicacy over here. Its just a big ol chunk of a$$-fat. Now, my experience with lamb has been limited up until this point in my life, and Iraq has not done anything to win me over for lamb. Its basically a disgusting animal, and it tastes like s#!+..... Well, I think you get the point.

Anyway, just thought I'd share :lol: ...Have a great day everybody.

-dc

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Hey are you PSYOP or CA? I was with 6th BN 4th POB out of Bragg for 4 years (God I hated Bragg). Dunno if you're reserve or active.

Bosnians did the same thing. They'd have whole skinned lambs hanging in the windows of the butcher shops, eyeballs and all.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Very cool pics, Don. Thanks for sharing. Um, yeah, I'll pass on that fat-back. Thanks. :|

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody. My ONLY objective (well my primary objective) is to bring ALL my guys home safely.

Chrisnjen - I'm CA. My primary is Infantry, secondary is CA. I am active component, attached to a reserve CA unit for deployment. I am out of Bragg also. I kinda like it there (of course, I've only spent 3 months out of the last 2 years there). A little far from home, but its one of the better posts I've been to. There are a couple of 4th POG guys running around over here right now.

bodazafa - I hear ya, its enough to make me become a vegetarian. Our host stood me right next to that tray. When he cut into that a$$-fat, it just kinda busted open, all runny and nasty and oozing a$$-fat juice... I had to politely pass on that....

a$$-fat.....uuuggh.

I just may be scarred for life. I wonder if I can file some sort of claim with the VA for the whole experience? :lol: I also wonder, how many times I can say a$$-fat in one thread? :twisted:

-dc

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Don said:
Thanks everybody. My ONLY objective (well my primary objective) is to bring ALL my guys home safely.

Chrisnjen - I'm CA. My primary is Infantry, secondary is CA. I am active component, attached to a reserve CA unit for deployment. I am out of Bragg also. I kinda like it there (of course, I've only spent 3 months out of the last 2 years there). A little far from home, but its one of the better posts I've been to. There are a couple of 4th POG guys running around over here right now.

bodazafa - I hear ya, its enough to make me become a vegetarian. Our host stood me right next to that tray. When he cut into that a$$-fat, it just kinda busted open, all runny and nasty and oozing a$$-fat juice... I had to politely pass on that....

a$$-fat.....uuuggh.

I just may be scarred for life. I wonder if I can file some sort of claim with the VA for the whole experience? :lol: I also wonder, how many times I can say a$$-fat in one thread? :twisted:

-dc
4th POG yeah, durr. Cool. I know at least one of my friends is there, E7 named Maurice Valentine. Pretty much lost touch with everyone though.

I was young and from California. First time away from home. Actually it was Fayetteville that I really hated. The biggest thing I didn't like was that active 37F, you only get to see one place and that's Bragg (unless you're deployed, which wasn't happening a lot back then). The post itself isn't bad, and I'm sure things have gotten better since I was in and Clinton was in office :p.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree..Fayette-Nam sucks. But Bragg is nice, lots of new facilities. I also have quite a few friends on the east coast, so theres always alot to do on the weekends. NYC or FLA or the NC shore...all within reasonable driving distance. :D

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Thanks for sharing those, Don. Please come home safe! Your babies miss you I'm sure, and we can't wait to have you on the forum more! Thanks for all you do for this country!

PS. Yuck on the lamb! I'm having a salad for dinner.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Don said:

a$$-fat.....uuuggh.

-dc
ha ha - I also showed your pics to my bf - hes a second leutenant (I know i spelled that wrong) with the National Guard here in Wisconsin - his unit is the only one from Wisconsin that hasn't gotten called up yet so he says its just a matter of time - when he saw that lamb and was not too pleased although he says anything is better than the MREs

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'll bite. I happen to love lamb! Nothin says tasty like a well cooked lamb chop!

The a$$-fat is pretty gross though, so is the head! Overall though that feast looks great!

Thanks for the pics. It is interesting to see, if only a little, of what it is like over there.

Be safe, and thank you for your service.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pictures! The lamb looks gross and I just ate dinner and it kind of upset my stomach! But as everyone said, the important thing is that all of you over there come home safe!!!!

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Great to see you safe Don. Please come home soon! Everyone is waiting for you. As for the lamb well seeing it first thing in the morning is well.. GROSS but at least you got to have fresh food instead of freeze dried.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.