Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought I would ever have this problem since I am a vegetarian but just now coming in from our walk Maggie was sniffing under a bush and then BAM - she was crunching on something - she then dropped two bones out of her mouth- they looked like chicken leg bones but honestly I don't know!??!?!?! It could have been some random dead animal or chicken bones dropped off to the side of the sidewalk --- now Im afraid of splintering, etc - I saw her CHEW AND SWALLOW an ENTIRE BONE!!! It sounded like it was breaking up and crunching up and I got her to spit up one entire bone - but she did chew and swallow that one --- SO WHAT SHOULD I LOOK FOR TO MAKE SURE SHE IS OKAY!?!??!??! Im freakin out here!!!!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I know how you are feeling! Twice my daughter has left her plate on the table after eating chicken legs and Faith has eaten both of them and a breast bone! Luckily nothing ever happened! But I was scared to death!!! I had no clue what to watch for but she has been fine. This happened about 2 months ago. I hope she is okay!!!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
she should be okay for just this one time. Just keep an eye out for throwing up, especailly blood. or blood in the stool is a good indicator that they did something.

Yes chicken bones splinter when they are cooked but they wont always cut them. Just like if you ate something sharp, it has the potential to cut you but more then half the time doesnt. Kate has gotten a chicken bone or two on our walks that I wasnt able to get out of her in time and she never had any problems.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
She should be fine. I would be most worried about the bone being lodged in her throat but that obviously hasnt happened. I'm a vegetarian too. Loki is gnawing on a raw chicken back at my feet right now :lol: I handle bones, tripe, raw meat, organs and more every day. The things we do for our dogs :p I haven't eaten meat, including fish, in over 12 years.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Just look for signs of abnormal behavior. Vomitting, bloating, diarrhea, etc. I wouldn't be too concerned with just one instance, but still, just watch her for any wierd signs.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Just keep an eye out for puke and blood. She should be OK...I bet she really enjoyed it though! Yesterday mine got into some bones too...not chicken though. I caught Clutch running around the backyard with this bone in his mouth...I pulled it out and it was bigger then chicken bones. I walked to the back corner of the backyard and EWWWWWW!! Underneath a pile of leaves was a dead opossum...just bones. Well at least thats what I think it was...maybe even a cat...do you think it may have parasites or something...we just moved in and the house was abandoned for a while before we moved in so I think it has been there for a good long while. Like I said it had no meat or anything...but it freaked me out cause they were eating on bones from a dead WILD animal.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She made a couple of weird hacking noises last night while I was sleeping but other than that she seems fine - no blood or anything - she never poops in the morning so I'll have to check that when I get home - this whole thing scared the crap outta me!!

Kogeki - I have been a vegetarian for about 13 years - I haven't eatten any meat, poultry or seafood since then - so Mags TOTALLY flips out whenever someone brings anything with meat in it to my apartment - the smell drives her wild! LOL - I don't buy her real bones or fresh meat or anything - a piece of pepperoni off a pizza occassionally is about all she gets

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
bodazafa said:
She made a couple of weird hacking noises last night while I was sleeping but other than that she seems fine - no blood or anything - she never poops in the morning so I'll have to check that when I get home - this whole thing scared the crap outta me!!

Kogeki - I have been a vegetarian for about 13 years - I haven't eatten any meat, poultry or seafood since then - so Mags TOTALLY flips out whenever someone brings anything with meat in it to my apartment - the smell drives her wild! LOL - I don't buy her real bones or fresh meat or anything - a piece of pepperoni off a pizza occassionally is about all she gets
poor baby CC would go crazy without her hot dogs!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
You just had to beat me by one year didnt you? I thought for sure I was the veg for the longest :p Fresh bones keep Loki occupied for hours. No joke. I mean hours. You should try one sometime. Just go to the supermarket and get a soup bone. Mags will love you even more! They arent gross or anything. They have no smell either.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
kogeki said:
You just had to beat me by one year didnt you? I thought for sure I was the veg for the longest :p Fresh bones keep Loki occupied for hours. No joke. I mean hours. You should try one sometime. Just go to the supermarket and get a soup bone. Mags will love you even more! They arent gross or anything. They have no smell either.
Not only that, they're very good for dogs. High in protein and enzymes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts