Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, we have been moving a lot since we got Deuce. Which was the reason for moving. We got kicked out b/c they said he was a pitbull type dog and they didn't allow any dangerous bull breeds. Then they tried to make me pay $7500.00 for breaking my lease. Hells no they are not getting my money. Well we finally settled into a house. We got way behind with Deuce's potty and crate training with all the moving. We moved to my mom's, then to our house when it was finally ready. He wasn't allowed inside at my mom's. So now we have to start from scratch. Is it the same concept with an older puppy? He has been staying in the kitchen during the day and he pees and poos in there, which is not cool, but our own fault. We are going to begin using the crate again, but I wanted to know where to start, since he is now in the habit of going in the kitchen. He also has accidents in the living room. Not every day, but at least a few times a week. Need a lot of help. Anybody got anything to say, please help.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
:-k Start back at step one with the crate thing and the trick is a routine...stay with a routine and try not to break it dogs actually like structure it is good for them...5 mo. is still baby..you have time..

Good Luck..

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
bigut64 said:
When you catch him doin his stuff in the house pop his nose or hiney, worked on baxter
I've heard/read that this tends to make a dog afraid of relieving himself front of you, so that when you take him outside to potty, it's much harder to praise him for doing the right thing because he's afraid of being punished.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
bigut64 said:
When you catch him doin his stuff in the house pop his nose or hiney, worked on baxter
I've heard/read that this tends to make a dog afraid of relieving himself front of you, so that when you take him outside to potty, it's much harder to praise him for doing the right thing because he's afraid of being punished.
That theory makes sense but isnt true to an extent. Ill explain a little more, until the pup is around 4 months it doesnt know the difference between outside, inside, in his crate or whatever.
Here is what i did, i got baxter at 9 weeks old, he would pee and poop right in front of me inside or out. So when he went outside i praised him gave him a treat sometimes, when he went inside i would ignore him and act upset. I kept doing this for a while until after he was 4 months old. After that i kept up the praise outside but inside i would make him know what he did wrong, not put his face in the pee but put him near it and paying attention to it and pop his nose with 2 fingers or his hiney, of course not hard cuz you dont need to. This is all i would do and now he is about 6 months and never goes inside unless i am irresponsible and dont take him out enough, as in hes had one accident in about 3-4 weeks. Also when i take him out he still runs to me for some lovin after he goes, cuz he knows he did right.

So maybe since your pup is new to the training you need to wait till you punish him, and establish that outside is good. But still he needs punishment for doing the wrong thing so even a squirt bottle will be fine.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I am trying to stay away from the physical but thanks anyway. One habit is really bothering us. He isn't usually allowed in the bedroom yet. He will catch us not looking and take off into the bedroom, first thing he does is squat and pee in there. Why does he run in there and pee? Once it was on the bed, once on my cloths, and on the carpet. Whats the appeal? I know he isn't properly trained yet, but its like he goes in there with the intention of peeing on something important. He rarely goes in the living room if ever, mainly he only goes in the bedroom when he sneaks in, or in the game room, which is where the door is. What is with the bedroom thing though.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
I'll agree with you that a dog needs to know what is expected of him before it is okay to punish him for doing something wrong. I've caught Bella trying to poop in the house once since she's been fully housebroken (it was our fault for not letting her out when she rang her bell a million times), and a very loud and startling "NO!" stopped her dead in her tracks. Startling her has always worked well, so she's never needed to be smacked. I never, ever punished her for a mess that I didn't see her make, and she was reliably housebroken by about 14 weeks old.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
Well I am trying to stay away from the physical but thanks anyway. One habit is really bothering us. He isn't usually allowed in the bedroom yet. He will catch us not looking and take off into the bedroom, first thing he does is squat and pee in there. Why does he run in there and pee? Once it was on the bed, once on my cloths, and on the carpet. Whats the appeal? I know he isn't properly trained yet, but its like he goes in there with the intention of peeing on something important. He rarely goes in the living room if ever, mainly he only goes in the bedroom when he sneaks in, or in the game room, which is where the door is. What is with the bedroom thing though.
If he gets away with peeing in the bedroom even just every once in a while (i.e. not been stopped in action with a "NO!!"), his behavior is being re-affirmed each time he does it. Each time he gets away with an accident in the house is one step backwards in his housebreaking. I'd keep all the doors in your house closed until he's more reliable.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
I'll agree with you that a dog needs to know what is expected of him before it is okay to punish him for doing something wrong. I've caught Bella trying to poop in the house once since she's been fully housebroken (it was our fault for not letting her out when she rang her bell a million times), and a very loud and startling "NO!" stopped her dead in her tracks. Startling her has always worked well, so she's never needed to be smacked. I never, ever punished her for a mess that I didn't see her make, and she was reliably housebroken by about 14 weeks old.
Yeah i agree, only when you catch them, i think females are easier then males to break, may be wrong though.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Dogs need and respond much better to positive reinforcement....and, they have to be fully trained to make sense of negative reinforcement. Meaning, until the dog is reliably potty trained, it does more harm than good to scold them for accidents...it will only confuse them.

Consistency is key in training..in order to properly potty train, you need to have your eyes on your dog at all times. If they are not in the crate they should not have freedom to raom the house. I tie thier leash to my waist when potty training..that way, they can spend time with me doing chores in the house while they are not in their crate..I catch them every time they even start to have an accident..then it's immediately rushed outside and lots of praise for finishing thier job in the yard. You have to be consistent... you have to catch them every time..if they potty in the house just one time without you knowing, they will continue to do it. It highly confuses them otherwise, and you will never have a 100% reliably potty trained dog.

Go back to basics as Erica said...start crate training from scratch. Your pup is young and you have plenty of time to retrain his brain.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
The only way you can PROPERLY house train your dog is to do exactly what Belle said. You MUST catch your dog in the act. As for potty training a 5 month old, I would say just start over as though you just brought he/she home. Buying a crate is most important and I think I've read you have done this.

As for going in your room....until he is FULLY trained only allow him in specific parts in the house. If you don't want him upstairs you must not let him. I know they are sneaky but you must show your dog that you are the boss and he MUST listen to you. Does this mean smack the dog, no, but you need to find out what he will listen to.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So if he starts peeing I take him out? He is too big to pick up and I don't want a stream of pee all the way to the door. So, should I lead him to the door while he is going? As for the bedroom, I am watching him, but he darts in there and by the time I get there he is already squated. I see him take off, but can't catch him in time. We need to fix our door b/c it doesn't shut right now. I need to fix it, that is my fault, but how do I get him outside while he is going? I am not trying to argue, I really want to know, even if it may be a dumb question. I am kinda new to this stuff.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
I seriously worry about your control over Deuce. I am not trying to be harsh but you MUST get some help with him if he doesn't even listen to you when you tell him NO. The problems you are having now and going to triple if he thinks he can bull you over.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Please re-read my post..... you must have him with you all the time if he is not in his crate..that means, you must have his leash attached to you. That way he cannot fail..he cannot sneak anywhere and have an accident. And yes, if he starts to pee, tell him a loud NO and lead him outside. It is much better to clean up a little trail of pee now than years of big dog puddles in the future.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Family of 5 said:
I seriously worry about your control over Deuce. I am not trying to be harsh but you MUST get some help with him if he doesn't even listen to you when you tell him NO. The problems you are having now and going to triple if he thinks he can bull you over.
Well he doesn't listen all the time, but I never said he wouldn't listen if I tell him no. But, people tell me not to tell him anything b/c he doesn't know better, just take him out and give positive reinforcement. That is why I don't get mad at him when he goes inside. He listens to me. He will sit, down, stay, leave it. I am not perfect but he does listen and I didn't say he doesn't. And I will keep him leashed from now on and see how that works, and take him out while he is going. The only time he doesn't listen much is when he gets excited and starts nipping. But, he will stop, he just starts again soon, but after a few times he gets it and will behave. I don't think I am perfect, but I am working with him and he is doing well. I just needed a little advice. We are working with someone, and he is doing better, one step at a time, he can't be perfect over night. But he is getting better.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
deuce's mommy said:
So if he starts peeing I take him out? He is too big to pick up and I don't want a stream of pee all the way to the door. So, should I lead him to the door while he is going? As for the bedroom, I am watching him, but he darts in there and by the time I get there he is already squated. I see him take off, but can't catch him in time. We need to fix our door b/c it doesn't shut right now. I need to fix it, that is my fault, but how do I get him outside while he is going? I am not trying to argue, I really want to know, even if it may be a dumb question. I am kinda new to this stuff.
The solution is a baby gate at the beginning of your hallway to not allow access to this area at all. I baby gate everything room off that I am not in. And I always baby gate the hallway so there is no access.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I can't completely gate him in the living room, b/c then he can't get to the door when he needs to go out, but I am going to fix the door so he can't go in there. I know it is my fault and how to fix it. I just found it strange that he would go in there seemingly for the specific purpose of peeing. Anyway, I am getting his crate put back together tonight, and he will be using it again.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
bigut64 said:
Erica said:
bigut64 said:
#-o
creative way to call me a dumb @$$ i guess, thanks
No :shock: I am sorry, I did not want to make you feel like that...but poping a dog is not the solution and with bullbreeds or any breed can add fuel to a fire...along with behavioral issues (such as submissive urination - hand shyness and some people may take the whole pop thing to a extreme and cause human aggression)..sorry to offend you..

I have never laid a hand on my AM Bull he is 3 yrs....and I will say he is very obedient..and I am complemented on his behavior daily..

e

1 - 20 of 25 Posts