Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 5 month doesnt like to go in her crate at all no matter what if that door gets locked nobody gets any sleep at night or any peace during the day....you would think she would eventually stop barking and relax but she dont....if she is in there all night then she barks all night if she is in there in the day its barking all day .....any suggestions?
next step is going to be a control barking collar

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
maybe get her some bones to chew on....

where is your crate located?

my pup didn't like it either for the first few nights, but now, she walks right into it when it's bedtime or time to go to work....

how old was your dog when you started the crate training?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
for a dog to learn to like the crate it takes time.

Try giving her treats in her crate while the door is open. If you give her a nightly bone, give it to her in the crate. Some even go as far as feeding in the crate. This will teach her that the crate is a good thing. Then slowly, while you are at home, close the door, for maybe 5 min at a time. And then slowly work up the time. Eventually she will learn to love the crate because it is used as a good thing.

One thing to remember, if you want her to like her crate... never use it as punishment.

Also, it could be that she is bored. Some members have put treats in a kong or even peanut butter in the kong to keep the occupied while you are gone. Make sure you exercise her plenty before she goes in there.

Like I've always said.... a tired out doggy = a happy doggy. If shes worn out and has all of her engery gone when she goes in her crate she will be much more reluctant to bark the whole time

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
snarky said:
maybe get her some bones to chew on....

where is your crate located?

my pup didn't like it either for the first few nights, but now, she walks right into it when it's bedtime or time to go to work....

how old was your dog when you started the crate training?
its located in the bedroom and we have been useing the crate for a few months because we travel every weekend to different states and all 3 of my dogs have to go and they ride in their crates

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kate said:
for a dog to learn to like the crate it takes time.

Try giving her treats in her crate while the door is open. If you give her a nightly bone, give it to her in the crate. Some even go as far as feeding in the crate. This will teach her that the crate is a good thing. Then slowly, while you are at home, close the door, for maybe 5 min at a time. And then slowly work up the time. Eventually she will learn to love the crate because it is used as a good thing.

One thing to remember, if you want her to like her crate... never use it as punishment.

Also, it could be that she is bored. Some members have put treats in a kong or even peanut butter in the kong to keep the occupied while you are gone. Make sure you exercise her plenty before she goes in there.

Like I've always said.... a tired out doggy = a happy doggy. If shes worn out and has all of her engery gone when she goes in her crate she will be much more reluctant to bark the whole time

when we take one of the other dogs out she will walk into their crate while we are outside and stay in there but if it involves shutting the door or after she is done with a bone its on again.....we can walk her to death and it doesnt stop her barking or yelping....anyway i will work on more of what has been said...thank u both

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
hacknvp.com said:
if she is in there in the day its barking all day .....any suggestions?
Why isn't she let out of crate in the day when your home? Your puppy needs some playtime and excitement and obedience training is a great way to spend time with her. If she doesn't have to be in the crate, don't put her in. During the night and when your not home is only time she should be in the crate for a large amount of time. And make the crate seem like a positive experience and not a negative experience. I don't think you should get the control barking collar, this seems like a problem that can be handled easily. Once she's exercised and tired, she'll sleep when she's in the crate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there any chance you could try putting something of yours in the crate with the dog? Maybe a pair of socks? Wear them around the house for a short time and then fold them and put them into the crate with the dog. See if it makes any difference. I've known dogs to have some sort of obsession with having something of their owners allways with them when they're not actually able to be with their owners. I dont know, maybe worth a try??

·
Registered
416 Posts
Put things that comfort your pup in the crate, this will give the feeling that it is his/her den. My pup carried on for the first few nights, and I thought I was going to go insane. I put her bed, toys, and other things that I noticed she liked in her crate, and the barking stopped.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The day we picked up Buster I was wearing a sweatshirt.Well the sent of his mother and siblings were on it so I placed that in his crate along with a shirt that had my sent.Try using something with your sent or maybe a toy or blanket that he loves or uses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i just got an 8 wk old eb . i am unable to have someone let her out during the day. i can i train her not to go in the crate. someone said to put a puppy pad in there for now until she gets a little older than take it out. my other pup was great in the crate she was holding it 8hrs since she was 4 months.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ambulldogpup said:
hacknvp.com said:
if she is in there in the day its barking all day .....any suggestions?
Why isn't she let out of crate in the day when your home? Your puppy needs some playtime and excitement and obedience training is a great way to spend time with her. If she doesn't have to be in the crate, don't put her in. During the night and when your not home is only time she should be in the crate for a large amount of time. And make the crate seem like a positive experience and not a negative experience. I don't think you should get the control barking collar, this seems like a problem that can be handled easily. Once she's exercised and tired, she'll sleep when she's in the crate.
i was just kinda speaking in general if she was to have to be put in there during the day for any reason but she gets plenty of exercise during the day.....but it still doesnt matter how much exercise she gets it doesnt make her want to just lay there and sleep.....anyway she is getting better with it now because i had to take both dogs with me to daytona for the last week and a half because i was a vendor during bike week so they had to spend alot of time in there while i was working.....and they dont have to be up during the week because i have my own business that lets me only have to work on weekends

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old Pokey said:
Is there any chance you could try putting something of yours in the crate with the dog? Maybe a pair of socks? Wear them around the house for a short time and then fold them and put them into the crate with the dog. See if it makes any difference. I've known dogs to have some sort of obsession with having something of their owners allways with them when they're not actually able to be with their owners. I dont know, maybe worth a try??

we cant put anything in either crate because the dogs eat it if they can bite into it.......ive had one dog eat its harness and collar...they eat blankets towels anything i put in there so they only get to lay on a flat bottom pan of the crate....toys are not interesting to them they ignore all kinds

1 - 12 of 12 Posts