Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am going to pick up my new pup next Tuesday and am now setting about buying him a Crate. I know everyone on here says "buy a crate that your dog will be able to stand up, turn around and lie down in" But, this is my first Staffordshire. He is a male and though I am sure both parents were well within 16" tall I do not remeber accurately how long they were.

The Crates availible seem to be 23", 25", and 28" long wherever I go. Any Staffy owners have a crate size in mind for my dog. I can't believe I would need bigger than 28" anyway. But, you guys are the experts. Por favor, ayuda mi pocito en este cosa!!

Chao from Chile

·
Registered
66 Posts

Our AB has a Great Dane size create. I like her having plenty of room in her crate when we are not at home. But we "Create Trained" her with a crate divider. This allowed us to confine her in that smaller space while she was being house broken. Once we were quite sure of her potty training we slowly expanded her space in the crate and now she has the whole thing and we have had no problems.

Whatever size crate you would like your pup to end up in as an adult is fine as long as it has a divider for the training months.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
All my dogs (APBTs & others) have the Great Dane size crates as well. While the "stand up & turn around" theory might sound nice, it's no so much fun for a dog who enjoys & NEEDS to stretch his legs out while being kenneled for hours at a time. And rarely do my dogs sleep curled up in tight little balls, but with a smaller crate, that would be their only option. I like for my dogs to have plenty of room to sprawl out in & stand up easily without having to hunch over. They should have plenty of room to position themselves any way they want.

Think about it. If you were 6ft 2inches tall & weighed 240lbs, would you honestly prefer a single bed that of course you fit on but it's a tight fit so you can only sleep one way, or would you prefer a queen or king that allows you the comforf of stretching out & changing positions?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, do you guys think I need a great dane sized crate for a staffy? Not quite the same size as a Pit or a AB. Dimensions would be terrific, thanks.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I got Legend a Great Dane sized crate for $20! And it's a fold and carry. I was happy that if needed to be in there for a couple of hours he has room to stretch and have a couple pre approved toys to keep him busy! :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not to sure on exact measurements for a Staffy. Many places, Pet Smart and the like, have crates that you can select by breed and usually have four or five different sizes in a brand. Are you using the crate to house train? If so this is where the "only enough room to stand up and turn around" comes in to play. If your dog is already house broken than pick a size that you like for your dog. Sounds like a few of us here are using crates that are quite large which we like for our pups but that's your call. I have heard you can measure your dog when laying down and add eight inches in both directions. This is not much help if your dog is still growing so a little guess work is usually in order.

Our first crate was for Shepards and Rotties but it is now in the garage and she has a Dane crate. If you have a type of crate that you like and it only has measurements in inches, look online for another brand that has breed suggestions and dimensions and cross ref. the numbers to get an idea for you dog.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I got Legend a Great Dane sized crate for $20! And it's a fold and carry. I was happy that if needed to be in there for a couple of hours he has room to stretch and have a couple pre approved toys to keep him busy! Very Happy

LegendsMami,

That's quite the bargain for a crate that size. Did you buy a used one or come across a really good price? Pricing the larger crates in various pet stores seems to be $100+ and I haven't come across any larger crates at yard sales. We were given 2 crates for Chopper and both are the same size. I believe they are too small for him, because when he stands, he keeps his head lowered. He can't sit in there properly either because he's too tall. We have one set up & leave the door open. He goes in from time to time to sleep or just to chill and, of course, I do use it when he's really being his bullish self.

Where in PA do you live? We're in Bethlehem, outside of Allentown.

Maria

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll just kinda try to steer this one back a bit... I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I know lots of you guys here have Pits or AB's and so I could see how you would want Great Dane size crates but, what size do you think I will need for a Staffy. I was thinking 28"x21"x20", does that seem good for a Staffy?

Sorry, it's not all about me me me but, I just want to buy this thing today cause I have to pick up my pup.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Maria W said:
I got Legend a Great Dane sized crate for $20! And it's a fold and carry. I was happy that if needed to be in there for a couple of hours he has room to stretch and have a couple pre approved toys to keep him busy! Very Happy

LegendsMami,

That's quite the bargain for a crate that size. Did you buy a used one or come across a really good price? Pricing the larger crates in various pet stores seems to be $100+ and I haven't come across any larger crates at yard sales. We were given 2 crates for Chopper and both are the same size. I believe they are too small for him, because when he stands, he keeps his head lowered. He can't sit in there properly either because he's too tall. We have one set up & leave the door open. He goes in from time to time to sleep or just to chill and, of course, I do use it when he's really being his bullish self.

Where in PA do you live? We're in Bethlehem, outside of Allentown.

Maria
I actually got it off ebay! It was an excellent deal. Brand new in the box. But I do tend to see them at flea markets for really good prices($30-$70) used but nothing wqrong with them. I'll try and find the ebay store I got Legend's crate from I'll PM it to you.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
SlimSasky said:
I'll just kinda try to steer this one back a bit... I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I know lots of you guys here have Pits or AB's and so I could see how you would want Great Dane size crates but, what size do you think I will need for a Staffy. I was thinking 28"x21"x20", does that seem good for a Staffy?

Sorry, it's not all about me me me but, I just want to buy this thing today cause I have to pick up my pup.
Staffy's don't get over 40-50lbs so maybe a crate that size. Here's something that maybe will help you out!
http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/Breeds/Breedchart.asp

I'm thinking maybe a 30 L x 23 W x 24 H or 36 L x 23 W x 24 H or something along those lines. And use a divider to make crate smaller for now until your dog gets bigger.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
LegendsMami said:
SlimSasky said:

Staffy's don't get over 40-50lbs so maybe a crate that size. Here's something that maybe will help you out!
http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/Breeds/Breedchart.asp

I'm thinking maybe a 30 L x 23 W x 24 H or 36 L x 23 W x 24 H or something along those lines. And use a divider to make crate smaller for now until your dog gets bigger.
I'd say a with a divider; then you'd have a 24" x whatever and room to grow. Dogs do like to stretch. I bet Im not the only one that has the first crate in the garage or for sale :lol:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I finally got my Staffy, and a kennel for him. I was going to buy a 32" but, the ones they had were flimsy and expensive. I ended up finding a 40" with really durable plastic and a divider made of steel grate so in the end I did end up buying a "Great Dane" crate.

For those that know I am in Chile and finding a good pet store was hard but, the Breeder was nice enough to not only meet me outside of the city of Santiago which is a nightmare to find your way in. He took me to the pet store and haggled with the guy in Spanish for a half hour until we got everything for 15% off and a pedigree plastic food bin for free. Now that is a nice guy!!!!

He met us at 1030am in the morning took us to the pet store, took us to get the puppy from his handlers place, and after having supper at his house, led us back out of city. Chile doesn't have all of the resourses for pets but, some of the people here really go above and beyond.

Anyway, photos of my new Staffy "Turo" will be comming soon, thanks for the help thus far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts