Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog seems to be crippled when she gets out. Like she is almost in there too much. She can barely walk when she gets out. Is that bad. Am I leaving her in there to long. I thought it was a part of training to leave them in there. She doesnt even want to get up and walk when I open it up. What is a decent amount of time they should spend in the cage at 10 weeks old. Thank you once again.

·
Registered
775 Posts
is the crate too small? If it is your dog can cramping up from not being able to move. You should have a cage big enough for her to stand up and move around freely in. Cause I had the same problem. Tysons kennel was too small and when he came out he was walking like an old lady.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I am assuming its big enough. She can stand up in it and turn around without running inot the sides. The cage it 2x2x3 and I have it cut in half so she wont go to the bathroom in it.

Do you think she is in there too much. I let her out to eat, go to the bathroom and play for a half an hour and then put her back. She is let out for those other than feeding every 4 hours.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Approx. have much time do you think she is in there total? 4 hours, 8 hours? If you're home, I would let her out and attach her to a leash or block her off in the kitchen to give her some room. [/code]

·
Registered
5 Posts
TashiasDad said:
My dog seems to be crippled when she gets out. Like she is almost in there too much. She can barely walk when she gets out. Is that bad. Am I leaving her in there to long. I thought it was a part of training to leave them in there. She doesnt even want to get up and walk when I open it up. What is a decent amount of time they should spend in the cage at 10 weeks old. Thank you once again.
When we started crating our Boxer/American Bulldog Murphy at 8 weeks of age it was only on short intervals, 1-2 hours at a time. This was because my boyfriend works from home and so was able to allow the puppy out to stretch and exercise. Now at 10 1/2 months old, Murphy can stay in the crate up to 6-8 hours if necessary. It also helped that we got a larger crate recently for Murphy. The old one is now being used as a way to transport him when we are in the SUV. He also is allowed to remain out of the crate if we are only gone 1-2 hours now. If you are able to let him out on regular intervals it would probably help allevate the stiffness.

Dona

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
First of all the crate sounds like it is way to small for her. She should be able to walk, turn, sit and stand with no problem. At 10 weeks she should be able to hold her potty for a few hours. If you or anyone are home they should let her out full time and take her outside to go to the bathroom. She shouldn't have to stay all cages up, the crate is to train her not to potty inside and if you aren't home for her to stay safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts