Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skyla (fawn colour APBT) & Fido (Black & Brindle Staffy) arent yet properly housetrained. They have all had their injections. We are in the process of crate training them. I have read it up in a book. They say to on the 1st day leave them in the crates for 5 minutes with 1 treat and a toy and their dog blanket. Then give them a fuss and a treat when they come out. Then they have to be put outside. This has to be done several times a day. The each day to increase the time in the crate by 5 minutes a day. So far we are on day 2. What other purpose does the crate training have? Are there any other tips you can give me.

Rachel

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking.

All my dogs are crated. They're crated when we're not home or whenever we need them to be crated.

I never trusted my corgi not to snap at my kids' friends when they were little...so she was crated if there were little kids running around.

I also have always fed my dogs in their crates - that way I control food amounts and food-related aggression just isn't an issue. The crate is never used as punishment. Even if I actually need to crate someone if they're being unruly...I make going in their crate a positive experience. Even my 13 year old corgi still gets random food treats - or at the very least a chipper 'Good Girl!!!'.

I've never followed the advice you read about, I would assume that for older dogs that haven't been crated before. Mine were all crated from day one - and our recent rescue was already crate-trained when we got her.

I think just keep doing what you're doing...if they're happy in their crates you can probably up the time increments ...

...and please - remember LOTS of exercise if you're crating! They should be tired and happy to go in their crates...it becomes their bed and their den...my crew go in their crates voluntarily - or even in someone else's crate on occasion, for a nap or whatever...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts