Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice here, as Gracie comes home on Wednesday. For her first couple days at home, she will not be left alone as I have arranged my work schedule around her arrival. My question is that after this there will have to be short intervals, once a day where she is left alone for a couple hours or so. We (myself and my girlfriemd) have good schedules in that they are fairly opposite to each other in that there is usually only a couple hour gap in between someone being home. I am just wondering whats the best solution to this. We have a crate, however it is rather large so as to fit her when shes full grown. We also have a small room which we can put her water, bed, toys and crate in then leave crate door open and close room door, perhaps put some newspaper down. Is this a practicle and ethical method, and is it a bad idea to leave a puppy of 8 weeks old alone at all. Just wondering what to do here, there will be someone home most of the time, but i gotta figure out to do for those times when we're not. What have you all done in the past when you get a brand new puppy but have to leave her for a couple hours? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I would leave her in the crate with the door closed. I don't like the idea of paper, I would rather them never go inside, of course accidents are going to happen, I think its alot less confusing if they just know that they should never go inside. She will be fine for a couple of hours in the crate. Don't give any food or water about an hour before, and take her outside before you leave. She should be okay.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bremner53 said:
I would leave her in the crate with the door closed. I don't like the idea of paper, I would rather them never go inside, of course accidents are going to happen, I think its alot less confusing if they just know that they should never go inside. She will be fine for a couple of hours in the crate. Don't give any food or water about an hour before, and take her outside before you leave. She should be okay.
thanks a bunch. appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
The crate should only be big enough for the pup to turn around and stand. You can get dividers for your larger crate, so that it fits the pup properly. Otherwise you will have a potty area within the crate...notta good.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a pile. also wondering are they ok emotionally to be left alone at 8 weeks like that. or is it too much deprivation of social contact for them at that age?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I don't know about that young. Mo was 4 mos old when we got him. I know the general rule is that they can hold their potty for one hour per month of age. I am not sure about psychologically though.

What may help for your pup is getting toys that keep her busy. A kong filled with peanut butter, or a 'busy buddy' filled with kibble will keep her mind off being left in the crate and will ease anxiety. Mo got to the point that he runs into the crate when I start making his kong. I don't even have a command for him to get in the crate...he does it himself.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
First of all if you have a smaller crate that you can borrow then do that (believe me it will be for a short time) Then when your puppy is a little bigger you can use you whole big crate but for now a littler one would help. If not then be prepared for accidents. As for her to be left alone for 8 hours well like everyone said a chew toy would be good to keep the puppy busy. Right now at 8 weeks they do sleep a lot anyways. Good luck and please post pictures.

·
Registered
913 Posts
We got Gem at 7 weeks and she was left alone for afew hours by 8 weeks. She started just in our hallway but was constantly weeing so we put her in a crate at about 10 weeks. Know she wouldnt be without it. Its her bed. I wouldnt leave the crate door open when your out, we only ever leave it open when we are in then if she wanted to have a nap she could. She did howel for the first week especially at night time but you just have to block it out, never go see her and she will get use to it very quickly. Good luck. :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Gem,
I think the route we are gonna go is get the crate divider from our pet store, set that up, which should aide in training. I got the crate thinking of how itll be perfect size for when shes full grown, but neglected to realize its gonna be way too big for her at 8 weeks. So the divider is gonna be the way to go, also my friend has offered to come by whenever we have to leave her for a while and take her out to pee during the day, ar walk her when shes big enough.

·
Registered
69 Posts
FogDude,

Use Cheese Cubes, I forget who gave me the sound advice on here. But, it was an awesome idea to train them for the cage. Now the only time Tashia howls if put in the cage is when I have had her out for a few hours to play. Normally she is in the all the time except to go pottie, eat and play for a while.

·
Registered
65 Posts
when we got luna she had never been left alone. i think the more you ease into leaving your pup, the better both of you will be in the long run. it was really hard, at a year, to get her used to staying alone for any length of time.

to help her over it, we started a routine of keeping the emotional state at a low for about 15 minutes before we left - small petting and such, but no fawning over her, like "oh, baby we'll be back soon, blah blah blah." and then again really low when we returned later, no major hug and kiss-fest (which was i think harder on me than it was on her, you know!).

we leave her with a bone and some music in the background. right before exiting the house, we place a filled kong in another area of the house luna is sure to roam around in once she gets bored with the bone.

this totally works for us - and of course we worked up to leaving her for longer each time - and now she's doing well. i think the chewing also helps the pups to relieve some tension. luna actually just conks out after a while - yippee!

good luck!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Eraserhead Dog

I adore Eraserhead Mo!! I love that film - it is so weird!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts