Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read up a fair amount on crate training my OEB, and the first night he was great. He whined twice and I let him out and both times he went to the bathroom. Last night I let him outside for 20 minute and he didn't eliminate. I then put him in the crate and went down to get washed up for bed and I heard him barking for the first time. I don't know the right way to correct this because i know you don't want to make the crate an area versed with bad connotations. He also whined a couple times like the first night and I let him out and he just stood there for 15 minutes and didn't go at all. Any feedback on when to let the dog out of the crate and how to correct whining would be appreciated because I think he's made the connection that every time he whines in the crate he is allowed to go outside. Thanks

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I can give you some notes from my experiences as I am going through this right now with my 4 month old EB.

I've had her home for 1 1/2 months now so I am through that barking part of letting me out. For about the first week she would bark at night when I would put her in for bed. I would make sure that she went out and actually eliminated before I put her in. Once in there and knowing that she had just gone to the bathroom I knew she had to be good for at least 3 hrs before having to go again. Especially with limited activity in the crate she shouldn't be stimulated to go that quickly. So I knew it had to be a "I want out of the crate" issue. I left her in there and went to bed. She went on with barking and fussing for about 15 mins and then settled down. I made sure I did not get up for her to see me, knowing that would just encourage her. She settled down and went to sleep after about 15-20 minutes, depending on how stubborn she wanted to be.

I stop giving her water a 7 to allow her to get alot of it out before bedtime. (I read somewhere to take up water during training about 3 hrs before bedtime.) I go to be at 10. I set my alarm for 2 and take her out again. Then she is good until I get up a 6.

I found the main thing was to not get up and give in to her when I knew she had just releaved herself. It would just encourage her. Have patience and be consistent. I am sure this will work. It took Molly about a week and half before she had the routine. And I don't hear a peep out of her now. Hope this helps you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts