Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

crate trainning

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Park 
#1 ·
Im bringing my AB puppy home tonight. Do i leave the crate in my room with me while i sleep where i can let it out ever couple hours when it crys and needs to go out or do i leave it in another room and just get up and let it out when i feel it needs to go? I have read that you dont won't to let them out when they are crying but didn't know if this means after you have had them for awhile or if it meant from day 1.

#2 ·
I had Bogart's crate in my bedroom. He whined for the first 10 minutes, but I completely ignored him. After that he would just settle down and sleep. I woke up at 2am and took him out to pee. If he wakes up and whines in the middle of the night, he probably has to pee. I would take him out for a couple of minutes. Don't play with him, but put him right back in the crate.

#4 ·
Make sure the crate is appropriatley sized for the puppy. A huge crate and a small puppy can lead to peeing in the far end of the crate and going back to sleep in the "clean" end. You don't need more than one size crate, just a divider that you can move/remove as the dog grows (a piece of plywood works fine).

#5 ·
chief

i been crating my dog i have a training book and it states that you should keep it in a room where you would spend the most time at for me that was in between the kitchen in living room next to the door and when the pup cries after you let it pee you are suppose to ignore him by not thats letting the dog know that when he cries you will let him out .. its gonna be hard because i had to go trough it but now my dog doesnt cry anymore he just gets up and starts to paw the cage door.. also you may when your pup gets older switch from day to day have him sleep in the bed with you

#6 ·
diesel4444 said:
Im bringing my AB puppy home tonight. Do i leave the crate in my room with me while i sleep where i can let it out ever couple hours when it crys and needs to go out or do i leave it in another room and just get up and let it out when i feel it needs to go? I have read that you dont won't to let them out when they are crying but didn't know if this means after you have had them for awhile or if it meant from day 1.
I've always crated puppies in the bedroom with me and the other dog(s) to minimize his trauma (he was just in a pile of pups on a warm mama belly), and to facilitate good house training. He will settle down faster at night, and when he needs to go in the middle of the night take him out to do his business and put him right back, and he'll settle down quicker than if you left him in the kitchen or the basement.

Paula

#7 ·
Bogart said:
I had Bogart's crate in my bedroom. He whined for the first 10 minutes, but I completely ignored him. After that he would just settle down and sleep. I woke up at 2am and took him out to pee. If he wakes up and whines in the middle of the night, he probably has to pee. I would take him out for a couple of minutes. Don't play with him, but put him right back in the crate.
Opps, Bogart you said it and I repeated it. I should have read the entire thread. Umm diitto what Bogart says.

Paula

#8 ·
My AB's crate is in my bedroom. I 've had her for about 2-3 weeks now. When she needs ot pee she cries, but when she wants to play she whines. I guess after a while you get to learn to hear the difference. Also when introducing the crate to your pup, make it a good one, do not force the dog in there. let the pup in but do not close the cage immediately. You want the puppy to know that the crate is it's "cave" and feels confortable in there not trapped.
btw be prepared for endless potty trips about every hr or 2 hrs. :shock:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.