Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking into crate training April and I wanted your opinions on the size and type that is best to use. I just measured her and she is 22 in tall, measuring from her foot to the top of her shoulder.
Are the metal types preferable to the plastic kind and anything else you may think I need to know. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I am not sure of the size. But I prefer the metal crate becuase there is plenty of air going through it. And it's not as easy to destroy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Personally I use the vari kennel, ex large , the metal crates are still easy to chew on. my dogs seem to sleep better in the vari kennel.

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Buster was easily able to bust out of any metal crate I put him in, but has never managed a jailbreak from his plastic VariKennel. If that level of destruction is not a concern for you ( :D ), then I would just go with whichever one you like better. As for size, if she is 22 inches at the shoulders, you must go with a crate taller than that. You want her to be able to stand tall and not have to duck her head when she's in there. She also needs to be able to turn around and lie down comfortably. I would take her to petsmart with you and try a couple on for size. :wink:

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I prefer the wire crates myself as well.I agree on what everyone else has said but you don't want so much room in the crate that she is able to pee/poo and lay else were in it.They say that if they are able to do that then the crate is to big and you will need to by a divider for it.I don't know if you are using it for house braking or not but if you are keep that in mind.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I prefer the Vari-kennels to wire crates...I have heard way to many horror stories of dogs trying to chew or paw thier way out and breaking thier jaws, choking to death, breaking legs, etc. I just don't like the metal ones.

The Vari Kennels are nice, lightweight, easy to clean and transport, and are more enclosed, giving your dog a "denlike" feeling...comfy, etc.

Going by her height, she would fit in the Large size Vari-Kennel (blue series) just fine. The X Large (green series) would be way too big for her.

·
Registered
551 Posts
In my experience when I worked at the shelter we had a dog that chewed his way out of one of the large vari kennels. I'd never seen anything like it but after we put him in the wire crate he was unable to chew his way out or at least didn't figure a way out. I guess it all comes down to personal preferance. Anything could happen with either type we just need to be cautious.

Kelly

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for your opinions. We have decided on the Large deluxe Vari kennel, but we can get a wire kennel from my brother in law, so that is still an option. Actually just found out she has been crate trained in the past so hopefully it won't be very difficult for us.
This is the main reason we are going to start crating her...

My husband let me spurge on a very nice dresser and April decides it best used as a chew toy. :evil: :cry:
Just to let everyone know petco is having a sale any $60 online purchase and you get 10% off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have another question for you guys. I've been reading conflicting things about whether or not to use the crate for punishment(time out when caught doing something wrong) or keep it a safe place that isn't associated with a punishment.
What do you do ?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Lisas1 said:
I have another question for you guys. I've been reading conflicting things about whether or not to use the crate for punishment(time out when caught doing something wrong) or keep it a safe place that isn't associated with a punishment.
What do you do ?
Dogs don't understand that kind of punishment, so it doesn't really do any good. When I get my second dog, I'll use crates for a "time out" if they get too rough with each other.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I use the crate for time out right now with Faith. Molly has never really ever had to use a crate. But when Faith and her start getting to wild and start trashing things, I will tell Faith to go to bed and give her a stuffed Kong to mess with. I never tell her she is in trouble. I just tell her to go to bed. Then 15 to 20 minutes later, I will let her out again. It just gives the dogs time to be alone.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The alone time is definitely a good thing! We put Bella in her crate for 10 or 15 when she's being an obnoxious spaz and won't respond to any of our commands, and she's usually calm and collected when we let her out. :) Some dogs just get way too overstimulated and need a little bit of alone time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts