Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyone here use these? I dont really want to use it because I see it as a cage lol. Rex has his own room and I let him out before I leave and as soon as I come from work.( Dh lets him out off and on when im working) He is doing good going on the newspaper as well. When he is out and I see him ready to go I put him back in. I then take him out after he finishes and put him back and hour after he went last. Im not gonna buy one because I know I wont keep him in it. My dh cuz has one because has a Pit/boxer and he grew out of it so im getting it from him. So do you think I need one even though he has his own room?

·
Registered
16 Posts
What a lucky dog to have his own room!
Usually, the crate in a room with papers is used for when the pup needs to be left for long periods of time before they can hold themselves for a good amount of time. Gradually, they are moved to the crate only as they can hold their movements for as long as the owner is gone. The crates are like a safehaven for them as they age (after some rough sleepless nights) and as long as they are not left longer than they can hold their movements and are exercised enough, they see it as a nice nap break.
What is your next step in housebreaking? Do you think that this method will create a room where he sleeps/pees and poos long term?

p.s. Your pup is really, really cute!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
When we first brought Bella home, she had full reign of the kitchen while we weren't home. We had puppy pads set out by the back door, but she rarely used them. It wasn't until we started crating her while we were away that she finally started getting somewhere with her housebreaking. Crates are wonderful, IMHO. They keep your dog(s) out of trouble while you're away and make housebreaking a breeze. Bully breed dogs can be especially mischevious as puppies; who knows what they'll get into while you're away?! :) Ask HausMommy about the time Haus chewed a hole in her kitchen drywall!! I've heard of several bullies ripping up entire rooms of carpet, too. Boredom can create a destructive pup! :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no idea lol Thats why im asking about crates lol. I have his bed on one side of the room and the other side is covered with papers so he walks to the other side of the room to do his business and his bed is across the room. He is never out unsupervised and he will never be he has his room lol. Should I use the crate as well? Im clueless lol. I cant take him out until he gets his shots and he gets his first shots next Thursday. Do you have any suggestions? I had a dog before when i was younger but he used to stay in our hallway and we used to walk him. I think we got him when he was about 8 wks or so.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Kate would be dead by now if I didn't have her crate!! These dogs get bored very very easily and will find anything and everything to get into. Even if you think you have put everything away, they will find something.

I think you should start crate training him now while he is younger, it will be much easier then later on in life when he does start getting into things.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok cool I will start. I mainly have to because In July Dh and I are taking a vacation to Florida and My sister is Babysitting and dog sitting lol. She alreay has a dog a shitzu female . SO they need to be seperated even though I know my nephew will keep him in their room but I still will take it :)

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Crates OMG! I have turned my dining room into crate motel! I have 4 along one wall, and 2 in the living room. All lined up pretty. Sometimes they get confused if they are too close together, and go between them!!!Lol, guess it seems like they are in them, still bars around them! But they are all crate trained. I used cheerios!

Ill have to post a pic and show you all, its actually funny!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I dont know what I would have done without odins crate, it's helped tremendously. Now he will go in and lay down in there all by himself, and I leave the door open. It's his own private den

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well I use the crate as a training tool for Tootse see she is very hyper and she first when I got her didnt know when to go to sleep and when to play so
I used the crate and taught her to sleep at night and play in the daytime it was a very useful technique and I didnt like putting her in it either but its part of basic training to teach your dog that if there is an emergancy or thers another dangerouse dog around that if you say crate she goes straight to the crate. It's very useful if you feed your dogs seperatly if you have more than one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I first adopted my pit bull from the humane society last year, I had a lot of problems when i was out of the house. She would chew everything in sight, including electric cords, and she even pulled off a piece of the door frame from my back door. She also peed on my bed when I was out. I closed my bedroom door to deal with that, but I was still afraid she would hurt herself chewing on an electric cord, so I bought a crate.

First time I went out and shut her in the crate, I thought that everything would be fine. When I got home, she greeted me at the door, the crate was open, and she had peed on my bed. I was flabbergasted. I need two hands to open the crate myself, but somehow she had let herself out from the inside.

Next day, the same thing happened (except I had closed my bedroom door). I decided to put a padlock on the crate. That had to be enough to keep her in. I got home and again, she greeted me at the door. She had flipped over the floor mat of the crate, bent it in half, climbed on top and pushed up the folding part of the crate, while bending out the bars of the door. She somehow managed to escape.

These dogs are truly escape artists. Now at this point I was more afraid that she would hurt herself trying to escape from the crate then chewing on anything in the house. Besides, she amazingly didn't do any other damage that day. Ever since, I have left her in the house with the crate door open. She usually goes and lies in it when I leave, but I have rarely had any more problems with her, since she has become used to her new home.

I still keep my bedroom door closed, though.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Please see the sticky in this section about puppies and teenage dogs. It's got a lot of helpful info in it, especially about crate training :)

Don't view it as a 'cage', view it as a way to know that your pup is safe, and that your house isn't being torn to shreds. You really don't want to come home to this!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Crate.Buster is crate trained and Molly was crate trained but now that she is 7 I no longer need to use one for her but without the crate I probably wouldn't have a house left................LOL

·
Registered
594 Posts
We have Menchies crate in our room and he loves it. He hasn't complained yet. We leave the door open during the day and he goes in on his own to nap when he wants a little peace and quiet. I am a firm believer in the crate. It is a SAFE place for you and your baby when your gone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts