Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you know, I've had problems crating Koa in the past. Well, I need to fix this, because he needs to be confined. Heaven loves her crate. She will run right in there and wait for her treat. She's such a good girl. Koa -- different story. He won't budge. I have tried lifting his front paws while my son lifted his back end, and tried to squeeze him in there. He is stronger than us when he resists. I just can't get him in there. I tried throwing treats in there, but he just reaches his head in, grabs the treats, and gets back out. It's the largest crate they have too. I want to start keeping him crated, but I don't know if it's possible. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
LOL! I know I shouldn't laugh but Koa is so bad! Scamming treats like that!

Does Koa see Heaven go in her crate problem free?

You are obviously having a hard time getting him in there. Do you also have a hard time getting him to behave once he is in there?

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL, I know... he's so bad. Yeah he sees Heaven go into hers, and he's probably thinking she's stupid. :lol:

Honestly I haven't been able to get him in there since he has been full grown. I gave up trying because I was hurting my back! I need to do something with him though. If I sell my house this Spring, I'll be living in an apartment again, and I can't have 2 pit bulls just running loose in my place. (They have the basement and backyard to themselves right now.) I just hope I can crate train him somehow. I just don't know where to begin when he detests it so.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Do you have a wire crate? If so you might just have to outsmart him! Go to the back of his crate and stick your fingers in with something he reallllllly reallly is not going to be able to resist(hot dogs, cheese, piece of steak, etc).. Have the front of the crate open so when he sees it he goes in and eats it from your hand. Maybe you could try that and see if it works. He's probably going to through a serious fit once he realizes he cant get out but maybe give him something to do while he's in there(stuffed bone, kong, etc).

·
Registered
790 Posts
easy.

put a choke collar on him. tie a stong line and put it through the other side of the crate. Give him a command. If he does not comply, pullllllllllll. Trust me. he will get in there. QUICK. Leverage. That is all. One way or another, he has to get in. Every time he wins, it will get harder.

Use this method. he never wins. he complies eventually.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LegendsMami said:
Do you have a wire crate? If so you might just have to outsmart him! Go to the back of his crate and stick your fingers in with something he reallllllly reallly is not going to be able to resist(hot dogs, cheese, piece of steak, etc).. Have the front of the crate open so when he sees it he goes in and eats it from your hand. Maybe you could try that and see if it works. He's probably going to through a serious fit once he realizes he cant get out but maybe give him something to do while he's in there(stuffed bone, kong, etc).
Well I tried that too... he just looked at me like, "I'm not stupid, lady" and he took off running the other way. I probably won't be able to crate him. Unless I was physically strong enough to FORCE him in there. Maybe I can gate off an area or something.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: easy.

PeterC said:
put a choke collar on him. tie a stong line and put it through the other side of the crate. Give him a command. If he does not comply, pullllllllllll. Trust me. he will get in there. QUICK. Leverage. That is all. One way or another, he has to get in. Every time he wins, it will get harder.

Good idea, Peter! Thanks, I will try this, and let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts

PeterC said:

Good idea never thought about it that way. Will recommend it to a friend. She has a terrible time getting her dogs into there crates!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
LuvaBULL said:
LegendsMami said:
Well I tried that too... he just looked at me like, "I'm not stupid, lady" and he took off running the other way. I probably won't be able to crate him. Unless I was physically strong enough to FORCE him in there. Maybe I can gate off an area or something.
Smart smart puppy Koa is!!! :D

·
Registered
5,272 Posts

PeterC said:

that would have been my answer but with a pinch collar and a reward once the door is shut

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Never had a problem with my dogs going in i always feed my dogs in their crates so, they only eat fi they r inside, so of course they go in, Cowboy was bad once in forawhile would bark but with ignoring him has stopped..
i would try force with reward

·
Registered
70 Posts
First of all Tia is right on the money. If your dog sees the crate as something negative you should try to make him see it as something positive.

If the dog doesn't see it as something negative but just resists for the sake of disobeying, the proper way to put him in would be backwards, not forward. Trying to push a bully forward will take a lot of strength. And if he has already tasted victory, he most surely thinks the crate thing is simply up to him and not you. Pushing him backward is easier for you. I said easier, not definitive. Try pushing him backward into the crate and see if you have good results that way.

I always feed the dogs with crate problems in the crate. They'll strech their necks, tip the bowl, etc, etc.... But eventually they'll see it as their buddy. Especially if you crate them to take them elsewhere. All of my dogs (mine and club members) who go to training have little problems having their dogs accept the crate sinse they see it as something positive.

It's one thing to make the dog want to do something and another to make him do it. If you can't make him do it, DON'T! I believe wholeheartedly in Peter's post, but for us experienced trainers it's easy to understand the WHY & HOW of this method. For those who either don't understand or can't make the dog comply, then they should try a non-compulsive method. Hope this helps.

·
Banned
908 Posts

PeterC said:

yep choke collers are the best

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Pushing him backward is easier for you. I said easier, not definitive. Try pushing him backward into the crate and see if you have good results that way.
We've crated hundreds of fosters this way. Generally once they see it as "their" spot they crate up fine, but until then we turn them around and shove them in. It works great for those who've never seen a crate and are afraid of it, they are in it before they know what happened ;)

·
Registered
886 Posts

PeterC said:

Damn that is a smart way to do it, thanks for future reference Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.