Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know I haven't crated my dogs in a long time since I work such long hours... but I was only going to be gone for 3 hours today, so I thought, why not.

Heaven used to go in her crate all the time before I got Koa. She had no problem going in there. She WANTED in there. She was HAPPY to go in there. She must have remembered that going in the crate meant TREATS. So I gave her some, of course.

Koa was another story. I could not manhandle that dog to get him inside that crate. He is stronger than me. (Which isn't hard, I'm a tiny person.) I had my son helping me... I grabbed his torso, my son pushed on his behind, and we still could not get him in there. As soon as I would get his body in there, I'd go to shut the door, and he'd push his way out before I could lock it. I tried coaxing him with treats, but he would just stick his head in, and wait for the treat, but resist going in all the way.

I wasn't about to leave him running free again, so I put him on the cable out back and prayed to God he wouldn't tangle himself or somehow hang himself while I was gone. (He was fine.)

This is my fault for not working with him the way I worked with Heaven. I think instead of sending them both to training classes, maybe I'll just start off with Koa. Heaven has all her basic commands down pat. If I could just catch Koa up to speed, then work with them later on the advanced stuff, I'd be fine.

Bill (blittle) is sending me a kennel that I may set up in the basement, or set up outside once the weather warms up. I think it's about 8 x 8. That will do for now. This has just been a fiasco. I love my dogs, but it has really been difficult dealing with them on top of my own medical problems. I hope and pray this kennel thing will work out. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
I've had some of those. Especially during adoption days when everything's so hectic. I "wheelbarrow" them in there - pick up their hind ends and push them head first into the crate. They don't have as much strength to push back without their back legs. You could also put a leash on him (slip lead, maybe?) and thread it through the back of the crate - then your son can pull from the back as you push.

That's all I've got. :wink: Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts