Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I am about to lose my mind! It has been more than a week and Daisy is not doing too well in her crate. She is just over 7 weeks old at the moment. When I first brought her home, I gradually built her up to being in the crate. I had the top and the door off and put a treat in there so she would get comfortable. After doing that a few times, I put the top on without the door. No problems so far. Once I put the door on, I stayed around so she could see me, but I ignored her if/until she stopped whining. Most of the time, I make sure I tire her out before putting her in there, unless I am taking a shower and have to put her in there for a few minutes. She gets plenty of playtime with myself and my other dog, Chaucer. She also gets one good walk a day. The problem I am having is that she will go to her crate to sleep and not put up a fuss until about an hour later. Once she starts whining, she never stops. I try to ignore it as long as I can, but hey, I need sleep also. She will continuously whine for as long as it takes for me to correct her. Then she is quiet for 5-10 minutes and it starts right back over. I am losing my mind here not being able to sleep...ever. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I have tried everything I have read, but they all say that if you ignore them, the dog will stop whining and you will be on your merry way.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
the best thing i can surgest id to place her crate in a room at the opisit end of your home than where you sleep
a room with a door
when its time to sleep close that door and the door to your room
it will help muffle the sound

if she learns that she can whine for a long bit and get you to come play attention to her she will never stop

at least this way you could get some sleep(hopefully)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I agree with the above post.... other then that it seems like your doing everything else exactly right

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Buster is now 13 weeks but when he was that old he would whine in his crate because he had to be let out to potty.Are you sure she doesnt have to potty?They cant hold it very long and are up often to go.Also place a shirt or something that has your sent in there with her.I had wore a sweat shirt, wore it all day then placed in Busters crate and that helped as well and it's still in there...........LOL

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
You are doing everything right. Buy some earplugs and put on a fan in your room thats what we do during puppy stages. They will eventually stop... i know it doesnt seem like they will , but they do!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
6-8 weeks is usually the timeframe that it is safe to separate puppies from their mothers. This is when they have had good socialization within their own pack and have started to learn how the heierarchy works. After this, they need to be around as many new things as possible because this is when they are most impressionable. Socializing at the right age can/will prevent a number of things from becoming problems down the road.

·
Registered
181 Posts
On the assumption that you're not asking her to stay quiet all night, I agree that you have to ignore her. Even "corrections" when she's whining are (to her) interactions.

At 7 weeks, she will probably have to potty every 2-3 hours, so I would say just set your alarm and let her out on YOUR schedule.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chynasmom said:
On the assumption that you're not asking her to stay quiet all night, I agree that you have to ignore her. Even "corrections" when she's whining are (to her) interactions.

At 7 weeks, she will probably have to potty every 2-3 hours, so I would say just set your alarm and let her out on YOUR schedule.
That is exactly what I do. I make sure I get her out every couple of hours during sleepytime and then let her have a quick romp to tire herself out a little more.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My suggestion - Don't give up.

My dog actually just goes in when I say "Go home" now. It's heaven...she is so well behaved and simply because we ignored her crying. When she really got out of hand loud, you go over tell her (him) lay down, still the whine? Grab the pup by the scruff (mother's assert control/love/security that way) and say lay down now (notice I said say not yell) and then walk away. It seems like it's not doing anything but as they grow older they know that whining doesn't equal let me out.

when our pup was about 4 -5 months we would tell her to lay down first before opening the kennel door, lots of praise when she did, then we moved up to lay down while opening the door and telling her "wait" until we said "ok". We still do that ,she does not get out until we say "ok".

Keep working at it!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hoss said:
Chynasmom said:

That is exactly what I do. I make sure I get her out every couple of hours during sleepytime and then let her have a quick romp to tire herself out a little more.
That's great, but I'd make one small change. Potty breaks during bedtime hours should be ONLY potty breaks. Turn on as few lights as you can, speak softly ("let's go potty") and take her out, then softly back into bed ("night night"). I know it sounds backwards, but by letting her romp a bit you are rewarding her for waking you up - AND you may be actually waking her up more! Give her good play before bedtime, then about 1/2 hour to settle in before tucking her into her crate. Then any interruptions are as quick and low-key as possible. She's so young, so you CAN'T make her stay quiet all night, but the only reward she gets for waking up is a potty break. By the time she's 3-4 months old, she'll probably be able to go 7 or so hours at night without a break (but MUCH shorter during the day).

HANG IN THERE!!!

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
First off your pup is SO CUTE!!!

Dozer was the first dog I crate trained and he was a dream, any time he was tired he would go in there. The only time he whined was when he had to go out. I wish EVERY dog was like that.

Lucy on the other hand wasn't so good. Alot of times I had to push her in her crate, and she would WHINE forever!!! So frustrating, just stick with it you are doing it right. Lucy is really good now she is almost 6 months old, and she goes to her crate when I tell her too and NEVER cries anymore. She's been good for the last 2 months.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the advice and everything. I am working really hard on this. I never thought about the middle of the night potty break and playing afterwards. I will make sure to keep that one pretty low key. I hope that she will start picking up on this a little better here shortly, because other than that she is not doing too bad.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I forgot to add one thing.When Buster was that age I put a small clock in there.One that makes a tick( not sure if they all do LOL) anyway that is supposed to calm them and sort of sound like there mothers heart beating.I used it for buster and it is still in there.It helped a great deal and I could probably take it out but he likes it and hasn't chewed it yet.I covered it with his dog bed and blankets so he couldn't get to it but worth a try.When he would whine in the middle of the night I would get up and not turn on any lights,let him out,and right back in and to bed.He would whine but after doing the same routine over and over the whining got cut in half little by little and no more whining.She'll get there.She's just a baby :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
There is no reason in my opinion to potty break in the middle of the night. You will then have to break her of that habit. I've never had to take a pup out in the middle of the night. Early in the morning yes, you won't be able to sleep till noon. Wake up every 2 to 3 hours to take them out, lol NO WAY! Do you limit food and water in the evening?

I have a pup, that is about 3 1/2 months old, now. His food and water is removed from his access about an hour before bedtime. He's more than capable and has been more than capable of holding his self during the day as well as the evening. He has not had one accident in his crate, and I don't expect him to either. Nor the other dogs as puppies, for that matter. They have to learn that they can hold it, and control where and when they pee/poop. If your fine with all hours of the night then have at it, and I agree about limiting playing. :) Though I prefer my sleep, and I'm not too keen on waking in the middle of the night to take him nor anyone else outside.

Since, you KNOW that there is nothing she's needing ~ then smack the top of the crate, and say HUSH! Don't go to her, and DON'T let her out otherwise your teaching her that whining gets her what she wants... I think I've read some suggestions of covering the crates viewing area with a towel as well.. Sorta like a bird I suppose..

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
JennKBM said:
There is no reason in my opinion to potty break in the middle of the night. You will then have to break her of that habit. I've never had to take a pup out in the middle of the night. Early in the morning yes, you won't be able to sleep till noon. Wake up every 2 to 3 hours to take them out, lol NO WAY! Do you limit food and water in the evening?

I have a pup, that is about 3 1/2 months old, now. His food and water is removed from his access about an hour before bedtime. He's more than capable and has been more than capable of holding his self during the day as well as the evening. He has not had one accident in his crate, and I don't expect him to either. Nor the other dogs as puppies, for that matter. They have to learn that they can hold it, and control where and when they pee/poop. If your fine with all hours of the night then have at it, and I agree about limiting playing. :) Though I prefer my sleep, and I'm not too keen on waking in the middle of the night to take him nor anyone else outside.

Since, you KNOW that there is nothing she's needing ~ then smack the top of the crate, and say HUSH! Don't go to her, and DON'T let her out otherwise your teaching her that whining gets her what she wants... I think I've read some suggestions of covering the crates viewing area with a towel as well.. Sorta like a bird I suppose..

Sorry but I am not with you on this one. Most pups at 6 weeks of age can not hold there bowls for long periods of time.Yes there are some out there that may be able to but for the most part most need a potty break.As for breaking them of the midnight potty breaks that is BS in my book.When they are able to hold there bowls then they no longer get up in the middle of the night.When I got Buster he got up twice a night to go potty and he was only 6 weeks at that time.He is now 14 weeks and no longer gets up in the middle of the night for potty breaks as he can hold himself until morning.The banging on the crate for the pup to hush is horrible.The only thing you are doing is causing fear in the pup.
May work for you but I wouldn't suggest such behavior

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The middle of the night potty breaks don't always become habitual. I had the same potty problem with my older dog when he was a pup (just not the insistent whining throughout the night). He does plenty fine and only makes a noise when someone is coming up the steps (right beside my room). Once he was able to hold it through the night, I never had to worry about it again. I also work third shift, so my "night" is totally different than most. I usually sleep for a couple of hours, get up for a bit to enjoy a portion of the day, then go back to bed for a few more hours.

Food and water is limited before bedtime.

·
Registered
551 Posts
If it's not a potty issue, what about putting a larger stuffed animal in with the puppy and maybe Pound puppy type. I've also heard of adding a clock that ticks (heartbeat), just so the puppy doesn't feel so lonely.

Just a thought.

I agree though frequent potty breaks for a young pup are necessary.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The only issue I have with placing a stuffed animal in there with her while I am sleeping is that she may tear it up and swallow some material or stuffing. I dont want her to be able to do that and risk her getting sick or having to go to the vet because she has some kind of blockage.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
She has been getting a lot better the last couple days. There are even points when she walks into the crate on her own now! She is becoming a lot more responsive to other training also. Our walks are becoming easier and she is sitting a lot more frequently too (on command). I am working on the down command, but I haven't forced that on her just yet. I want her to have 'sit' down pat before I focus attention completely on 'down'. Things are looking good!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.