Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I have an English Bulldog named Buckwheat who is about a year and a half. He is mostly a good natured dog who loves to cuddle and sleep with us. However, sometimes, usually at night, Buck decides to be "crazy Buck." He first starts growling at my boyfriend, then he barks then he starts to nip at him and jump on him. When he becomes crazy Buck it is hard to stop him because he runs around crazy and does not respond to any type of redirection. He is very calm and good during the day when it is just him and I home. It seems that he 99% of the time gets crazy towards my boyfriend and when it is at night. I think it has to do with dominance but we have no clue as to how to stop him from doing it and how to prevent it all together. HELP!! We are desperate and it has gotten to the point where we may need to get rid of him. His barking may cause us to get kicked out of our condo complex. Any and all comments on this matter would be VERY HELPFUL! We love Buckwheat but cannot control him when he does this!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Lincoln has crazy spells too, and I have no idea what the best way to handle him it. If he gets too crazy as soon as I say treat he sits and stops, but I feel as though I shouldnt have to bribe him to be nice. It is very frustrating because when he is well behaved he is an absolute angel and I absolutely adore him! The madder I get at him the crazier he gets...
I'd love to hear ppls advice on this topic as well.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Lincoln's Mom :) said:
Lincoln has crazy spells too, and I have no idea what the best way to handle him it. If he gets too crazy as soon as I say treat he sits and stops, but I feel as though I shouldnt have to bribe him to be nice. It is very frustrating because when he is well behaved he is an absolute angel and I absolutely adore him! The madder I get at him the crazier he gets...
I'd love to hear ppls advice on this topic as well.
It sounds like in your situation it would be fairly easy to teach Lincoln a command like "settle." He already associates the word "treat" with a good thing, so maybe you could gradually replace the word "treat" with "settle" to get him to calm down. He'll calm down in anticipation of a treat, but eventually you'll be able to phase out the treat, and he'll settle down to just the command.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
In one word "Crate"
if he just acts up durring the night while your sleeping, get him a crate and make him sleep in there durring the night
put it in your bedroom so he can still be with you guys
but no more sleeping in the bed with you :(

he may not like it at first and whine a bit but he will get use to it

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Are you walking Buckwheat on these days? I know occasionally Harley will get an abundance of energy built up and lunge repeatedly at my face, and it looks quite aggressive. All she really wants is to go for a walk :lol:

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
More exercise and start having your boyfriend feed buck and do OB work with Buck so buck learns to respect your boyfriend like he does you

·
Registered
277 Posts
[/quote]

It sounds like in your situation it would be fairly easy to teach Lincoln a command like "settle." He already associates the word "treat" with a good thing, so maybe you could gradually replace the word "treat" with "settle" to get him to calm down. He'll calm down in anticipation of a treat, but eventually you'll be able to phase out the treat, and he'll settle down to just the command.[/quote]

He is a smart boy, just "bull" headed.... maybe I will try and replace the word gradually. I don't want to say treat and not give him a treat....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In response to the person who wrote poor dog. What is that supposed to mean? Aren't you one of the people trying to get Buckwheat from us? Are you just mad you didn't get such a beautiful dog for free. Your comment really hurt my feelings!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Jess587 said:
In response to the person who wrote poor dog. What is that supposed to mean? Aren't you one of the people trying to get Buckwheat from us? Are you just mad you didn't get such a beautiful dog for free. Your comment really hurt my feelings!!
Wow...take it eas...y

·
Registered
13 Posts
peeblerelf said:
bearsmom said:
Is this the same EB Buckwheat in CT that was being given away for free by Frank? Has to be. I guess you guys are back together???
:roll: poor dog
i do not understand this post? my fiance and i are back together and now able to provide Buckwheat with the attention he deserves. we are now just asking for some advice on a simple training issue.

ridiculing us as owners does nothing to help the situation, the only thing it does is insult us.

·
Registered
65 Posts
when luna was doing her crazy nighttime roaming around the house i stocked up on ways to handle it. we ended up getting a crate (there's a post around somewhere) but what i also got was this herbal anxiety soother from our local pet store. i'm sure someplace like petco would have it (i just prefer to support small businesses) but i put a bit in her water with her pm feeding. and i think it made a difference.

i'm not sure where people on the forum stand on herbal remedies, but sometimes you've got to have a fully stocked arsenol to deal with doggie issues.

try the herbal stuff in his water at night, see if it works. the store i went to said i could return it if i found it didn't work, so i had nothing to lose really.

·
Registered
12,743 Posts
Sounds like he is a normal hyper puppy. Just needs more exercise to get that energy out. Drain him by taking him for a nice walk before you settle down for the nite.
If Orson doesnt get enough exercise in the day, he gets the "zoomies" at nite!

·
Registered
13 Posts
luna said:
when luna was doing her crazy nighttime roaming around the house i stocked up on ways to handle it. we ended up getting a crate (there's a post around somewhere) but what i also got was this herbal anxiety soother from our local pet store. i'm sure someplace like petco would have it (i just prefer to support small businesses) but i put a bit in her water with her pm feeding. and i think it made a difference.

i'm not sure where people on the forum stand on herbal remedies, but sometimes you've got to have a fully stocked arsenol to deal with doggie issues.

try the herbal stuff in his water at night, see if it works. the store i went to said i could return it if i found it didn't work, so i had nothing to lose really.

very interesting, i think i would rather try to solve this naturally but this could be a tool in the toolbelt should it n be needed

does anyone else have any experience with this herbal stuff?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Sounds to me like he is just seriously excited to see him? A tired dog is a good dog! Does he get plenty of exercise, and walks? Is there something your doing that gets him all excited? When he acts like that, what do you do? Have you tried maybe leashing him at night, and correcting him when it starts?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
CC used to do that , drove me nuts! I started putting her outside when she did, so if she start, I go to the door, and aske her if she wants to get out, If she still wants to run around she goes outside, otherwise she settles down real quick!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.