Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm soo sad, Sadie my 10 mo old AB has a Cruciate tear we are doing the surgery TTPLO next Tuesday. I was just wondering if anyone has been through this what the recovery will be like?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Hi there - my 2 year old female APBT tore hers back in Decemeber. However, she did not have the TTPLO surgery, because she is only 38 lbs and does not do any working (ie weight pulls, etc) the surgeon said she did not need the TTPLO which is more evasive and has a longer recovery period. Her sugery was basically using an artificial ligament to tie the knee back together. She had her sugery the first week of December and rebounded relatively quickly - she still cannot have ANY offleash activity at this point. The first couple weeks after the surgery were very painful for her, she could barely move and I had to carry her up and down the stairs to go outside to potty - but after about a m,onth she was walking on it and barely limping. We had some "set backs" where she slipped on stairs, etc and started carrying it again but the vet checked and she did not tear the repair. From what I understand based on my research and convo with my vet about TTPLO it is much more evasive since there is actualyl drilling/chipping of the bone done but in the end it is much sturdier than the operation my dog had - it is almost always used with dogs that will be over 50lbs. It appears that the recovery time is somewhat the same - back to 90% within about 6 months but I would talk with the surgeon about specifics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts