Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several articles about cutting claws. BUT, when I tried to do the deed, my dog kept pulling her leg away and licking me in the face. I should mention I have never done this. I praised and told Fern what a good job she was doing, but I she kept pulling away, and I didn't know what to do.

Should I put a muzzle on her?? Or, is there some better way??

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
It typically takes me a few tries before I can get Koda to sit still and stop licking me before he'll let me cut his. Shelby's used to it by now and just lets me do it. You can try the muzzle, but mine would flip if I did that to him...he'd die if he couldn't lick me :lol:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It takes one cut too short and I have never done it again!I did that to a puppy and I cried and felt sooooo bad.

Instead, I walk mine and run them, on the patio or down the sidewalk, they wear them down!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I take them to a groomer's to be done. I don't want to chance cutting to short and making them scared for life of having their nails cut.

A lot of people do cut their own doggies nails, and all the power to them, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Especially cause mine both have some black nails...how do I know where the vein ends??

Good luck :lol:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
ChappsnHolly said:
A lot of people do cut their own doggies nails, and all the power to them, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Especially cause mine both have some black nails...how do I know where the vein ends??
You can usually see it on the underside of the nail. Remy has black nails, and I trim his about every 2 weeks. Bella and Remy are really good about sitting still for nail trimmings, so that makes it much easier for me to concentrate on not quicking them. I'd definitely take them to a groomer's if they were totally spazzy about it.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
You have to train them to sit still for nail cutting, i wouldn't praise her for being good because she isn't being good.
A muzzle is unnessessary because she isn't trying to bite you.
I would either do it yourself or take her to a groomer, it's usually under $10 to have them do just nails.
And if they cut the quick, they have all the special stuff to make it stop bleeding.

Cut the nails as often as possible to get them short so that she will get used to it, or like someone else said, run her.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
I never cut Orson's. I have concrete in my backyard so I just
hose it down and play fetch with him. He kinda slides to a stop on the
wet concrete and it files his nails down. I just keep checking them to make
sure they dont get too short. :wink:

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The special stuff for stopping bleeding is styptic powder, and works on small nails well, however, on big dog claws, it doesnt stop the belding like it should.

When my pup jerked and I cut it too short, man, he bled for hours, through the styptic powder, and everywhere!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Heres the easy sollution to this problem

Dont cut them Grind them

go to a cheap store like walmart or under a dollor/ pound shop etc
and get the cheapest little battery operated mini nail grinder kit you can
that women use to preen themselfs, get a cheap one as it wont burn the nails.
even a childs toy one will do the trick as long as there is a little grinding wheel.
you could use a dremel if you can get it to run slow enough.
but the battery ones a re quiet and dont scare the dogs.
Dremels sound like a dentist drill and you know that is a scary sound folks.

get the dog to lie down and give them something nice to chew on to take their mind off thing etc
or get a friend to hold something while the dog chews it.
use the mini battery nail grinder to grind the claws one at a time.
use the largest little grinding wheel for this and you can see the nail getting smaller so easy so fast.
only keep the grinder on one nail for 3 seconds at a time then gom on to nail no 2 for 3 seconds
Then nail 4 for 4 seconds then back to nail one etc.
this way the dog wont feel a thing as the nails wont get hot at all.
only grind a small amount away the first time about 2 mm then let the dog walk around
for 5 mins then do it all over again ha ha .
each time you do this the dog will become more relaxed, give them a nice treat after each session
and tell the dog NAILS NAILS NAILS.
after a few goes youll find the dog wants its nails done to get the treat.

our dog likes to have her nails done but only if shes allowed on OUR bed ?
We dont mind her doing this as she is so well behaved while having them done.
dont go too far with taking off the nails, if they are dark it is easier as you stop as soon as
you see a small whit dot apear.
With the mini grinder you can shape them and round them off nice as well.

heres a couple of pics of our dog DOLLY having her nails done.
not many bullmastiffs are seen looking this pathetic but dont let this pic fool you.
she can be a monster when she wants to be.

i will try to get a diagram off a site i came across about this very topic.

hope this helps as it realy does work even on nervous dogs

phill

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've made it a practice to to handle wilsons feet ever since we got him, that seems to have helped. I can usually get through three feet before he starts to pull his paws away. I usually stop for a few minutes and then finish the last one. He is an oeb and pretty mellow I don't know how this would be with a more energetic dog.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I've been cutting Legend's nails since he was 7 weeks old at first he didnt mind. I never cut too deep or anything and when he hit about 6 months it was a struggle to cut them. It now takes about 5 or 6 people to hold him down! Not b/c he's trying to bite but the thrasing around flipping and turning! He always needs his front nails clipped never the back. But I just walk him 5 miles and have some kids at the park wear him out for a couple of hours bring him home and then cut his nails.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
I've read that flour works as a styptic powder, too. I've never tried it, though.
Yes it does work. I cut the crud out of Ben's toenail once, and man did it bleed. I couldn't get him to hold still long enough to let me put the stuff on it, and a friend had JUST told me about flour minutes earlier on the phone. I dumped some in a big bowl and stuck his whole foot in there. :lol: It quit bleeding almost immediately. Now it is an act of congress for the poor guy to let me touch his front feet. Talk about holding a grudge, one teeny little accident in 3 years, and now he acts like I'm going to kill him with the toe nail clippers. :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.