Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know this isn't a breeding question, and NO WAY IN H-E DOUBLE HOCEY STICKS am I going to cut my dogs ears...

But I'm curious.

Why do people cut the Pit's ears? Doesn't it make it worse for ear mites and so on?

I'm curious.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
For most people, it's purely asthetic, or for looks. Some like the cropped look, some prefer natural. Although I like the way some dogs look with cropped ears, I don't know that I would ever choose to do that to a dog.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Mostly looks nowadays. Originally it was done on fighting dogs so they didn't get ripped off in combat. Same with other breeds of working dogs (along with tail docking and dew claw removal) - so they didn't get in the way while working. Now people just think it makes their dog look tough, mostly.

I think it's horrible, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Chrisnjen said:
Mostly looks nowadays. Originally it was done on fighting dogs so they didn't get ripped off in combat. Same with other breeds of working dogs (along with tail docking and dew claw removal) - so they didn't get in the way while working. Now people just think it makes their dog look tough, mostly.

You forgot alot of people with pit bulls do it for the show ring! :D

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
You'll see alot of dogs that do hog work with their ears cropped. It definately makes sense in that case. I would rather have the dogs ears surgically cut than ripped off by a nasty hog or torn another way.

·
Registered
886 Posts
LegendsMami said:
Chrisnjen said:

the show ring doesnt have a preference for cut or natural ears for pit bulls

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
bigut64 said:
LegendsMami said:
Chrisnjen said:

I know they don't but I know alot of people who have show dogs and say they do it for the ring(showing)!

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
bigut64 said:
LegendsMami said:
Chrisnjen said:

It all depends on the individual judge.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
kogeki said:
You'll see alot of dogs that do hog work with their ears cropped. It definately makes sense in that case. I would rather have the dogs ears surgically cut than ripped off by a nasty hog or torn another way.
Definitely agree there. I don't have a problem with it if there is a good reason. Problem is, nowadays there usually isn't.

As for showing, I read on workingpitbull that natural ears tend to be preferred. I mean, take it with a grain of salt (I know she is against it as well) but that's what she says.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Leeann.Bella.Remy said:
bigut64 said:
LegendsMami said:
Chrisnjen said:

It all depends on the individual judge.
indeed

the standard says there is no preference but most judges prefer a cropped look so they'll place a cropped dog over a natural dog.

Cropping ears is 100% cosmetic, unless of course its done for a medical reason like the dog needed it removed because it got in a fight or something.

just another lovely thing the human race does to please themselves

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I agree with AllAmericanPup. The only reason for cropping ears is the owner's own desires & wants. There is no "need" to it.

As for the pit fighting comment, that's not necessarily true. Most of the time the ears were left because an owner/trainer would much rather have the opposing dog get an ear hold on his dog thereby that dog opens himself up to a neck hold (or other better hold) by the dog caught in the ear hold. People started cropping dogs ears because of the way they look....no other reason.

As for hog dogs, there is definitely NO reason to crop ears. A hog is more likely to gut the dog like a fish than to somehow get ahold of an ear. Again, the ear cropping is solely for the owner's selfish wants to have his dog look cool.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It all for looks.

Old fighting dogs in the past didn't regulary have their ears cropped as it still wouldn't serve much of a purpose. Dogs ears were usually left natural and hardly ever ripped off. In most cases of cropping it was only if the ears were injured, then they'd be cropped. The same hold true for fighting dogs of today, many of them, even GR CHs still have their ears.

A lot of show dogs have it done but it is not required, its still the owners own choice. Some judges like cropped and some natural, they really are not supposed to judge the ears so whether they are natural/cropped shouldn't way in on the dog placing, unfortunatly sometimes it does!

A lot of pets have their ears cropped, its simply the owners choice no matter what they use the dog for and its done because they like the look. Unless there is a medical reason would be the only exception. I know some Pits who have had to have their tails docked because of medical reasons.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
As I stated above:

As for hog dogs, there is definitely NO reason to crop ears. A hog is more likely to gut the dog like a fish than to somehow get ahold of an ear. Again, the ear cropping is solely for the owner's selfish wants to have his dog look cool.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Interesting. How much does a procedure like this run? I remember my friend a long time ago (20+ years ago) had a Boxer, and they were taping his poor ears up. Poor dog looked so silly.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Cinder said:
Interesting. How much does a procedure like this run? I remember my friend a long time ago (20+ years ago) had a Boxer, and they were taping his poor ears up. Poor dog looked so silly.
It depends on your location & the vet you use & the breed having it done (longer crops tend to cost more). Crops can range from $85 to $500.

I've had 3 dogs with cropped ears (I had 1 of them cropped & the other 2 came to me that way), & I sure as hell wouldn't ever crop again. That's such a huge waste of money that could actually be spent on the dog in a better way or better yet, if you just have that kind of money to throw away, throw it at your nearest shelter or rescue.

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
Miakoda said:
Cinder said:
It depends on your location & the vet you use & the breed having it done (longer crops tend to cost more). Crops can range from $85 to $500.

I've had 3 dogs with cropped ears (I had 1 of them cropped & the other 2 came to me that way), & I sure as hell wouldn't ever crop again. That's such a huge waste of money that could actually be spent on the dog in a better way or better yet, if you just have that kind of money to throw away, throw it at your nearest shelter or rescue.

Huge difference in pricing. All very interesting stuff (I, personally, would never do it). I was just curious as to the procedure and what not...I would "think" this is done when they are very young, much like the tails?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Cinder said:
Huge difference in pricing. All very interesting stuff (I, personally, would never do it). I was just curious as to the procedure and what not...I would "think" this is done when they are very young, much like the tails?
Tails should be done within a couple days of age.. ears are typically done later.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Tails & dewcleaws should be done between 3-5 days old. Ear crops should be done between the ages of 10-16 weeks old AND when the dog has had at least 2 vaccinations.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts