Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 11 month old AB that likes to dig up all my flowers no matter what I put on the dirt or under the dirt. I don't have to be gone for her to do this. I take her every where with me. We can spend two hours at the dog park and she runs stright outside to dig a new hole.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! I have tryed just about everything to stop this and she has also started to eat my bumper on my car.

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
Can't really help as my garden is like so dangerous to walk on, due to all the holes. Roxy will dig up new plants and is still strippning the bark of my trees.

I thought it was due to lack of exercise. but like ur AB, when Roxy gets back from a lnog walk...she seems more distructive.

It doesn't really bother me, as the garden is her, But you could try getting a tin with a lid, put some coins init, and when the AB starts to dig, shake it (but don't let it be seen it was you)and say leave. This works well with us. I use it if she jumps up on ppl she has first met, and also to stop her chasing the sun reflection from my back door, she would stand there for ages, barking waiting for me to open the back door so she colud chase it! so I just shook the can, shouted leave in a stern voice and she no longer chaese the reflection :) Took a few attempts, but is worth it :)

·
Agent Squint
4,225 Posts
halo said:
LOL I swaer this is a Bully Breed thing , My yard looks like a mine field. But the yard is theirs , It doesn't matter how much excercise mine get they love to dig and strip the bark of branches too.
my conifers are dying lol, I swear one of these days she gonna pull it out of the ground.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Usually I would think that she's bored, but she does it even after being at the park for 2 hours? During those 2 hours is she getting really good exercise? She may need something more challenging than just regular exercise, like agility.

·
Registered
6 Posts
She's just a kid and kids like to play in the dirt. My pit doesn't dig and neither do my houng/pit pups but my Eskimo/border collie just removed another clematis... The husky we had here for foster care ATE about 5 bushes in the yard. My defense was to plant roses. I have a lot of lovely roses and they do NOT chew on those. LOL

I put up fencing around my flowers and have considered getting one of the light duty electic fences like they use to confine horses. That will put a stop to the interest in the flower bed. I'm going to plant another clematis this weekend and put it in a tomato cage and see if that thwarts Annie. She's the sweetest little dog, but she does love to excavate and that fresh dirt is just irrestible.

You might also consider container gardening and plant in barrels, window boxes and hanging baskets. I do all of these to try to have some flowers.

:) Abby

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LokersPadokers said:
Usually I would think that she's bored, but she does it even after being at the park for 2 hours? During those 2 hours is she getting really good exercise? She may need something more challenging than just regular exercise, like agility.
Yes, she is running around and playing the whole time we're there. She also goes to daycare twice a week

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I would love to give you some advice, but I have the same problem! My boxer digs holes big enough to sink the house, and our pit just follows & mocks everything his big sis does...including eating all the bark off our trees!!! :shock:

·
Agent Squint
3,627 Posts
Mine are the same, particularly Messiah, the pup.

And, my old girl, Casey (Dal. x APBT) used to chase squirrels up trees. Then when she couldn't get them, she'd start eating the tree. This turned in to a habit of just eating trees/bark for no reason at all...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts