Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MY AM STAFF FREAKED OUT IN JANUARLY WHILE THE NEIBORGHS LAWNMOWER WAS RUNNING. I THOUGH HE WAS POISIONED. HE HAS BAD TREMBLES, HEAVY PANTING AND TRYS TO BULLDOZZ THE FENCE ANYTIME HE HEARS A LAWNMOWER. HE RAN THRU A LOW GLASS WINDOW ON FRIDAY AND ALMOST KNOCKED DOWN THE RECNTLEY FIXED GATE YESTERDAY.
HE IS DEFINETLY IN SOME KIND OF FEAR AND WILL DO ANYTHING TO GET AWAY FROM THE NOISE. I CANT KEEP HIM IN HIS CRATE 24HRS A DAY...AS HE DOES THIS WHILE OTHER PEOPLE ARE IN THE HOUSE TOO.

ANY SUGESTIONS PLEASE ANYTHING??????

·
Registered
790 Posts
put him out of his misery and get another dog............STABLE dog.

You already know the answer. Why ask?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just recently got an American Bulldog and he seems to have a dislike for the vacuum cleaner but i think most dogs have that dont they?.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eat a f*cking d*ck a$$hole...It seems a little obtuse that you would say something like that. I’m not an ignorant owner. I do understand and have been educated on the specific breed I own. And understand the lifetime responsibility I took when I got my bully breed and will not throw in the towl that easily. I just don’t know how to resolve this problem and was looking for some honest but hopefully positive advice. You f*cking disgust me with your statement-do you think your some elitist with your cool guy picture of a dog chewing on a training arm whatever the hell you call it? How bout I put you out of your f*cking misery bitch…thx for the help smooches!

·
Registered
790 Posts
ONE question. please answer it.

Have you seen what a fear biting pit can do? Yes or no. I have.

Second. Would you leave a child (maybe yours) in the same room when the dog goes off? Yes or no. Simple question.

I am not being a dick. Just frank and logical. Ask ANY trainer if he is willing to take THAT kind of skiddishness on. He exibits the classical signs of fear aggression FROM YOUR DESCRIPTION.

Two questions. Simple. That is all I ask.

Dude, I would HATE to be your neigbour.

Have a little class. You think your pit is the ONLY dog I worked with?

YOU wanted honesty............I think not. YOU wanted sympathy.

Elitist? hahahah. No. Just logical and don't want to see your face plastered all over the newspaper saying.

Oh by the way........I have asked several very well known pit and AB breeders about this because I come across a little too harsh. Guess what their answers were. Dude, I was being nice.

BULLY boy........bring him to a trainer and let me know what they say. I WILL PUBLICLY APPOLOGIZE IF I WAS OFF BASE. I will ask that trainer if he feels safe leaving HIS kid with such a skiddish dog. Simple.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Wow!!!
I really can understand what Peter is saying, even if the words come accross harsh, it does have a lot of merrit. The way your dog is reacting is VERY extreme from the sounds of it. The noise of a lawn mower is VERY hard to get away from unless you move out to the boons and never cut your grass. Fear agression/biting in a situation like this is a major reality, and a scarey one at that. What do you think would happen to your neighbour, or some other innocent bystander (maybe even a child) if your dog did get past your fence while it heard a mower going? If I knew you were my neighbour I would be freaked right out!!!

Maybe you could always play your radio loud in the house during the daytime (whenever someone could be possibly cutting the grass)? I know you really love your dog, and maybe you can find a really great trainer, or maybe you can move somewhere where this won't be as much of a problem, and not have to worry about this so much.

I REALLY hope that you can overcome this some how!!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
PeterC said:

Geez, Peter, there you go making friends again! ROFLMAO

Now without actually seeing you dog, and based on YOUR DESCRIPTION of YOUR DOG, I'd have to agree with Peter. Your dog, if he manages to not harm someone, is going to harm himself. Either way it's going to cost you finacially or emotionally.

·
Registered
703 Posts
PeterC said:

Not to start an arguement but is this the answer to every problem? No it is not, sorry but I must disagree. The dog needs to be worked with to be desensitize him. It is not easy but it can be done! By dog shook like crazy at every thunder clap, I've been working with him and it is working it just takes time and effort. Good luck Bully boy!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Josie's mom.....with respect. would you leave your kid.....

Would YOU take a chance on a dog like this? Would YOU put your child in the same room as this dog and PRAY to GOD that nobody is mowing their lawn and HOPED your training took? Do you think lawn mowers are the only thing that sets him off or is it symptomatic of a larger problem?

Putting a dog down is NOT always the answer. However, from BULLY BOY's own description, this is not a stable dog. "DEATHLY FEARS NOISE/LAWNMOWER...IS BECOMING VIOLENT" I just wanted to repeat the original topic by Bully Boy's own words.

Being scared is one thing. YoU can work with that. However, it is a matter of degree and risk assessment.

Is the risk high in this case? And how reliably can you recondition this dog?

LOL. Kismet, this guy calls me an elitist. hahaha. Damm, he should visit some ring clubs. hahaha.

·
Registered
203 Posts
A friend of mine had an APBT that had some very serious noise issues. It got worse as she got older and at one point she started attacking her other dog whenever she heard a loud noise, she also bit her husband in the face.
Scared dogs can be very dangerous, and no I'm not telling you to put the dog down right away. You should go and find yourself a good trainer and have him evaluated, in the end only a person that can see the dog will be able to tell you if he should be put down or not.
If you do get him evaluated, please do tell us about it. I'd be very interested in hearing what's comes out of it.
Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Bulldozes the fence, runs through glass windows? We're not talking a gun shy dog here (IE the thunder) - we are talking about a dog that IS NOT RIGHT. Work with him if u feel it is worth it, but I think it sounds pretty extreme. Go ahead and think of yourself and how you 'feel' about all of this. Don't worry about the poor neighbor who could get maimed or KILLED by a bulldozing dog because you waned to 'work' on him. Darn those kids for walking past a house w/ windows, they're just asking for trouble! :roll: I must be feeling ornery but give me a break. At the end of the day and animal is an animal and we were placed in dominion over them. We are their gaurdians not only to keep them safe but also to keep other's safe from them should they become unstable.. Oh and certainly don't give a second thought to further fueling the debate over this breed of dog and giving my family as well as the general public more reason to doubt the sanity of those who own them.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
At the very least, get this dog temperament tested here is a website that can help you find a reliable place to get your dog tested.
http://www.atts.org/index.html
I have to say though, I am a huge fan of “working on it” but this sounds a little extreme. I love animals, oh God do I love animals, but there are cases that cannot be controlled. If your dog is willing to harm itself, which is totally against any animal’s instinct to preserve itself, then it is probably time to put him down. I can see “working on it” if your dog growled at you because you startled him or is food possessive, but breaking windows and doors, this is out of your control. Since the gate was just repaired, does that mean that he has successfully busted through it once? It sounds like a very realistic possibility that your dog will get away from you one day. If that happened then your dog could easily get into a situation with someone get startled and attack. This dog could cost you thousands in medical bills and legal fees for keeping a dog that you know is a liability. I hope that you have informed your neighbors to keep their children away and themselves from your dog. I hope that there is a dangerous dog sign on your gate. I hope that if you do not seek out a professional for advice. I hope that when your dog snaps that it causes minimal damage to you and yours. So I solemnly say that I would put this dog down, not just fore the sake of humanity but the sake of your dog. Your dog is not mentally stable therefore not happy. Disclaimer, if your where not exaggerating the animals responce to these things but I doubt you were.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
jammymutt said:
I just recently got an American Bulldog and he seems to have a dislike for the vacuum cleaner but i think most dogs have that dont they?.
Yes a lot of dogs do not like the vacuum cleaner, mine thinks it is play time whenever she sees it, :lol: and that isn;t often enough...My house is a wreck :oops:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
BULLY BOY, please no name calling.

You said in the topic Becoming Violent....what do you mean by violent? I'm sure that where PeterC got putting him down. Some fears can be worked around and with, but when a dog is starting to become aggressive and as you say violent...that's when you have to sit down and make that decision on what's best.

Would you rather put him to sleep and let him be around people who care for him? Or would you rather him bite someone and be put down by animal control, where they don't care (some of them, not all!)

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
while i agree that if the dog is getting Violent its time toput him down
but some people here need to answer in a more humane manor
I believe this has been addressed before
you can get your point acrross without being harsh
infact people will be more will to listen to you if they dont feel talked down too

·
Registered
790 Posts
Biscanton......

dog training is about being black and white. Not wishy washy, especially when the dog has aggression issues.

Like I said, I do not know how to sugar coat the course of action that must probably be taken.

He asked for honest opinions. I gave it.

A dangerous dog is a dangerous dog. It requires immediate action, be it reconditioning or to the vet.

I ASK ALL OF YOU AGAIN. WOULD YOU WANT THIS DOG LIVING NEXT TO YOU WITH YOUR 5 YEAR OLD KID, MAKING BANGING NOISE, EVEN AFTER IT HAS BEEN "WORKED ON" BY A TRAINER? BE HONEST. In my experience, this is the tip of the iceberg.

I talk alot about nerves in dogs. nerves are not about being rough or tough. It is about being calm and stable AT ALL TIMES. It is called temperment! My 2 lb yorkie is not brave by any means. However, even she is VERY good with loud noises and new objects.

Do we have to be direct ONLY after it has ripped someone open?

Biscanton would you answer in a more humane manor if this dog came over to your yard and your kid was playing while the neigbours were mowing the lawn. Wow, sounds like a really rare scenario that could never ever happen.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Has anyone ever thought that at some time maybe something flew out of the lawn mower and nailed the dog...I dont know...but fear can be very very bad if not delt with..I would definitely have a tempermant test done and go from there...and there is always puppy ProZac :lol: talk to your vet or a experienced trainer and have him evaluated in that situation...

good luck
e

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Re: Biscanton......

PeterC said:
dog training is about being black and white. A dangerous dog is a dangerous dog. It requires immediate action, be it reconditioning or to the vet.
I ditto that statment...

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
MrsCooper said:
A friend of mine had an APBT that had some very serious noise issues. It got worse as she got older and at one point she started attacking her other dog whenever she heard a loud noise, she also bit her husband in the face.
Scared dogs can be very dangerous, and no I'm not telling you to put the dog down right away. You should go and find yourself a good trainer and have him evaluated, in the end only a person that can see the dog will be able to tell you if he should be put down or not.
If you do get him evaluated, please do tell us about it. I'd be very interested in hearing what's comes out of it.
Good luck :wink:
MrsCooper..I really like the new pic..very cute..

1 - 20 of 221 Posts