Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any Ideas on how to remove a deer tick. Tashia has one underher chin and its huge. I have heard many differant options....Olive Oil, hot match, alcohol. I would hate to try a thousand ways just to have it continue to grow. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If it is very imbedded in there... I heard heat

If its not, just tweezers to pull it out

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Pour some alcohol on it and pull it out with tweezers. Just make sure you get the HEAD. VERY important!!

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I just use tweezers and then clean it. One time I used pliers to get on out of my cat because thats all I had. And like Lisa said, make sure you get the head. Those things are evil. I got Lymes disease from one of those tiny little *#^$#$.

·
Registered
634 Posts
shampoo and a cotton ball put shampoo on the cotton ball (alot) place over the tick and the tick will back out and go on to the cotton ball works every time for me

·
Registered
65 Posts
i heard vaseline too - works the same as the shampoo to just force them out of the skin - cause it's not breathable.
but good luck - i'm thinking i might have the same problem on luna after this weekend's romp in the country. (just pulled a dead one out of my bf's shoulder..eek!)
let us know which one works...!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for offering the info. I used a pair of tweezers to gently pull the tick out by the head. The entire thing was removed. It was difficult to accomplish with so much hair but I got it.

After the situation, someone else mentioned the cotton ball option with shampoo. I will have to try it next time. Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I just use my fingers, LOL. I never leave the head. For the little black one's I use a hemostat because I skeeve them.

I have to remove so many during grooming, you wonder why nobody has their dogs on flea tick preventative.

I once had to remove over 30 ticks from a 5lb jack russel, she went for one hike through the woods.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i know! those ticks are crazy - esp. at this time of year when i think they're really trying to latch on to something before the freeze (at least up in the northeast). we must have pulled thirty off of luna by the end of our hike. of course she's bright white with that short hair, so it's really easy to spot them.

but i was wondering - does the advantage or revolution stuff prevent them from burrowing?

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
EEEWWWWWW..I hate ticks..but I use Front Line and rotate with Advantex..no tick..no problem..

e

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I hate fleas more than ticks. LOL. I use advantix on my furkids but a friend of mine uses frontline and she just pulled a dead dried up tick off her dog. :shock: It still bit and held on! :shock:

·
Registered
66 Posts

I grew up in Maine (deer tick country) and the vasaline method is very common. Works great and you never have to be concerned about getting the whole thing.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Advantix works REALLY well here, we have a HUGE flea problem. Surprisingly not a very bad tick problem!

And don't get me started on mosquitos....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts