Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok when I got Deuce at 9 wks he had trouble walking. He was too fat and didn't start walking til 8 wks. The breeder had to put him on a diet and do physical therapy with him to get that accomplished. This is what his legs looked like most of the time when I got him

He could walk, but his legs would spread and he would fall if he was on slick surfaces or if he slowed down. We worked with him and got his muscles built up by walking him and getting him up and around a lot. Now he has a bulge on the inside of his front ankles and his legs appear to be bent slightly. We are getting worried about the bulge, and wondered if it looked normal to anyone else. I am pretty sure it isn't supposed to look this way. Should we get him on joint meds to prevent any problems? He doesn't have any pain but I'm worried it will get to where he does. What do you guys think? This is the bulge if you can see it on the front inside of his leg. This is the best pic I could find.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm not saying this is in fact the problem but, I know that can happen when they are learning to walk and they don't have a lumpy blanket under them. They have to have a lumpy non slip surface in order for them to be able to get their legs to stay under them. Otherwise they just slide out from under them.

Hope that made sense, I was typing real fast...LOL

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the other pups started walking a lot sooner than him. They didn't have any problems. He was just the little piggy of the litter. He walks fine now, although he is extremely clumsy, probably just a bully thing. The main thing I am worried about is the bump on his ankles.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
All my puppies fron tlegs look like that. I think that is just a "look" they have to them at the puppy stage, until they get more meaty.

Walking on a slippery surface-pups are supposed to have carpet underneath them so that they build up their muscles properly. I tried the carpet but it wasnt long before the nails got caught, so we moved to blankets. Thir legs were always going everywhere. Then we switched to newspaper which was worse!

But they all turned out just great-most all:(

Anyway, thats how my pups fronts look, so it'd be a weird coincidence if all 6 of mine and one of yours had a deformity!

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
that "bump" is completely normal. growth plates don't disapear until he has finished growing up. he looks fine (and adorable) to me

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
i'm sure it's normal, but i would still take him to the vet and have it checked out....

we once had a colt (he was so gorgeous) that we kept at my uncle's house in Columbus. his front ankles did the same exact thing, they grew forward instead of normal. come to find out, my uncle had fed him too much alfalfa hay and it was just too rich for his body to handle and it crippled him.

he was never in any pain, and we were able to keep him as a "pet" but we could never ride him.... such a disappointment :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
in litters some pups can have a problem that sounds alot like what your explaining they cant walk there legs stick out and it looks like they're trying to swim.
its called something and i know they're supposed to be humainly euathanized

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
vodka6483 said:
in litters some pups can have a problem that sounds alot like what your explaining they cant walk there legs stick out and it looks like they're trying to swim.
its called something and i know they're supposed to be humainly euathanized
That's called Swimmer Puppy. And swimmer puppies dont live that long without immediate treatment. They look as if they are trying to swim when they move, and are very barrell chested, sock therapy is a good therapy to treat these dogs.

However, this is in no way related to the pics of your dog. Your dog would not have lived this long with out help,no way.

I know about swimmer puppy because I went through all that while trying to find a cure for my puppy.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't be too worried. I will just keep an eye on it and mention it to the vet the next time we go. And Deuce should NOT have been euthinized. He is my baby boy. We are willing to do whatever it takes to keep him healthy and happy. We just need to work on his tummy a bit. He is a little chunky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts