Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
its hard to beat.

my 13 yr old lab has it :cry:
we're trying nu stock right now and it seems to be working(www.nustock.com)
along with fish oil added to her diet and i'm going to get some Ester C
and she also gets a bath with iodine shampoo about every 3 days

doing dips and stuff like that from the vet turns into a vicous cycle...i dont recommend it..

get your pup on Ester C if you havent already

i've heard really great things about neem oil too...a person on another board rescued a basically hairless pit bull puppy that was covered in mange and in just a few weeks he's already lookin 10 times better!
http://www.woodlandnaturalremedies.com/uswebsite/mange.html

·
Registered
914 Posts
gordy dont have mange. But im having a hell of a time getting ring worm to get off him. It was all over his belly. Now it is just one spot that is giving me problems. It looks like hair is growing back there now. The vet siad once you see hair growing back you are winning the fight. Hes had it for a long time now it seems. Just keep trying im sure if will heal.

·
Registered
410 Posts
my dog Zeke had mange (but I don't remember what type) then vet gave us some meds (mainly for itching) and told us to spray him down with Frontline (the flea and tick spray) she said it helps to kill the little buggers.... well it worked pretty quickly...

By the way are you sure it is not a combo of mange and maybe a allergic reaction?? maybe food or treats.... cause titus used to get what looked like a chicken pox rash on his belly and was real itchy ...but his was the food doing it, so we switched to a different food and all has cleared up...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all good info! thanks so much!!

i am lucky our vet is holistic, and he is on neem and we have neem powder.

i am thinking he may have an infection down there cause his underbelly is so exposed and no matter bathing etc it seems to be getting worse

i will have to check into the food, he has been having some issues with gas and exploding episodes in his crate (he has pretty much been on the same brand all along and this is a new issue)

ester c? is there a dose? and fish oil, do you get it in the bottle at a health food store ? dosing?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Maddi had demodex (however you spell it) when we got her from the pound. Vet did 3 mita-ban dips and it went away and never came back.

There is a certain type of tick collar that is the same medication as mita-ban. I'm at work but I'll try and find it when I get home. The vet recommended Maddi wear one for the first few months after her last treatment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did weekly injections of Ivermectin with my APBT, they are very effective and CHEAP ($30 for a 100ml bottle at your local feedstore). If you do Ivermectin injections you can't use monthy heartworm preventative that contains Ivermectin (Heartguard, Iverheart) at the same time or you can overdose. His demodex was horrible and he was bald from the base of his skull to mid back and all down his ribcage. I also did Tacktic (sp?) dips at home and used Preventic collars. Fish oil caps are also great to promote hair regrowth.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
brandi said:
I dont mean to sound dumb. But what is mange. I know kinda what it looks like but what causes it?
Mange is little mites that burrow into the skin (my vet is cool, she showed me under the microscope).

You can read about Demodectic mange here.

There is also Sarcoptic Mange, or "Scabies," which you can read about here.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
IronstayK9 said:
I did weekly injections of Ivermectin with my APBT, they are very effective and CHEAP ($30 for a 100ml bottle at your local feedstore). If you do Ivermectin injections you can't use monthy heartworm preventative that contains Ivermectin (Heartguard, Iverheart) at the same time or you can overdose. His demodex was horrible and he was bald from the base of his skull to mid back and all down his ribcage. I also did Tacktic (sp?) dips at home and used Preventic collars. Fish oil caps are also great to promote hair regrowth.
We gave ivermectin orally to my dog, Chico. It worked much better than the mitaban dips. He had 10 dips with no results before we tried the ivermectin. Once we got a hold of the ivermectin, it went away in about a month. Demodex mange is a real killer to get rid of!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Awww :cry:

I remember poor Maddi started to look like a little lobster.

·
Registered
99 Posts
All dogs have demodectic mange mites living in their skin, they are given to the pups by the mother at birth. The dogs immune system is responsible for keeping the amount of Demodex under control. Demodex is commonly seen in dogs under 1yr of age because of the hormonal changes during puberty and weaker immune system of being a young dog gives the Demodex mites a chance to multiply by leaps and bounds and that is when we see the mites on a skin scrape. Thats why we scrap from lesions, there are colonies of mange mites living there. Generally, demodex is not itchy until secondary bacterial infection sets in.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$400 today!
I have ester C
fish oil
clavamox
some chinese herb mixture to help boost his immunities
RX canned food formulated for skin health
probiotic/the good bacterial replacement since they are blasting his system with the clavamox for the secondary skin infection

now we have to start part of his vaccine series over again because he hasnt been able to have his boosters! GRRRRR

·
Registered
3 Posts
dermo mange

:( I rescued an american bulldog with dermo mange and have 200.00 into mitoban dips and saw some improvement after the dips. Now that we stopped it is returning. What can I do??? What kind of dog food does anyone recommend?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
hollysix- if he has shown little improvement with the mita-ban I would try the Ivermectin orally. Trouble is though, you cannot get it from your vet as it is not FDA approved for canine use. It is a med commonly used in cattle and horses. It came be bought at almost any feed store or farm supply place. Not sure on dosage - never had to use it (luckily).

I have also heard that the ester c and fish oil helps.

Also, you should never stop dipping until after you have a negative skin scrape. Negative test and dip once more. This is the common demodectic mange procedure.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Tinkerbell said:
hollysix- if he has shown little improvement with the mita-ban I would try the Ivermectin orally. Trouble is though, you cannot get it from your vet as it is not FDA approved for canine use. It is a med commonly used in cattle and horses. It came be bought at almost any feed store or farm supply place. Not sure on dosage - never had to use it (luckily).

Also, you should never stop dipping until after you have a negative skin scrape. Negative test and dip once more. This is the common demodectic mange procedure.
yes you can get it from your vet and when dealing with mange you need to ask your vet about the correct dosage.
for maggie it's 1.4 cc a day and she's 50lbs

mange fricken sucks :x
this is what poor maggie looks like...her skin looks better than when these pics were taken..but she's still just as bal basically :cry:

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
AllAmericanPUP said:
Tinkerbell said:

yes you can get it from your vet and when dealing with mange you need to ask your vet about the correct dosage.
for maggie it's 1.4 cc a day and she's 50lbs

mange fricken sucks :x
this is what poor maggie looks like...her skin looks better than when these pics were taken..but she's still just as bal basically :cry:

Must just be around here then that you cant get it from the vet. The shelter I worked at breifly had several dogs come in from puppy mills with bad demodectic. The vet they use said it was not available through them (or any vet here in WI unless you have a vet who works with cattle and horses).

So I stand corrected :wink:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts