Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
When I worked at our local shelter we had a vet tell us we should change the diet to lamb and rice and give a supplimnet of vitamin E and Omega 3 twice a day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
semperfido said:
Semper is being eaten alive by the stuff.....
He was treated when it was on his head and face.....it seemed to subside, now his entire underbelly looks like he has the chicken-pox.....

I have to take him in again...FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, does the stuff ever go away?

If you need a break from the vet you might try SulfOxyDex shampoo by DVM. It can be used often. For mange I believe you have to use it for a few weeks to kill them all off. If the problem is allergies it can only help to keep bacteria from starting in any wounds from over-scratching.
It leaves behind a clean, fresh odor besides a glossy coat.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am a dog groomer and when I get a customer who needs treatment for mange I use a product from Vet-Kem, sponge on for dogs "Paramite", it has great residual control and you see results right away. :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
It can be common with certain bloodlines, Sorrell pits are known to be prone to it. Some get it easier than others.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hello all,
This mange has moved all over his body now........he looks so awful. I was able to start treating the pussy sores with a bacterial shampoo from the vet. That seems to help, along with iodine on the raw pussy areas.
He does have new hair growth in some of the areas first affected, and it seems to have build a resistance there.
He is pretty much a mess though. I wish it would just go away and leave him alone!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Have you tried the ivermectin? That's what really helped my dog. We didn't see any results until we started using that. We gave it orally.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Semperfido, is you dog spayed/neutered?

Sometimes with localized demodex (where it's only one small spot or so) it's more of an environmental/nutritional issue. However, the research still proves that with generalized demodex (where the lesions are all over the body), it's 99% a genetic (aka hereditary) condition. It's a problem with the immune system in which it does not keep the mites in check whereas a normal healthy dog has no problem.

Any kind of stress can bring repeated outbreaks and/or cause outbreaks to not clear up. Intact dogs will stress out anytime they are in heat or around a bitch in heat (even a mile away). Having the animal spayed/neutered can mean the difference. In severe cases, Mitaban is the way to go. However, talk to your vet about it. As for Ivomec, well it works, but obtaining the correct dosage is tricky & it is NOT cleared for use in canines especially to treat demodex. And overdosing on Ivermectin can cause severe kidney & liver damage.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Hello all,
We are going to look into the Ivermectin. I was wondering of anyone would know where we could obtain the correct dosage. We are going to look into our local feed stores as that is where upon investigating we can obtain it.
It is better to inject or can we obtain it in pill form?

He is so bad, it is worse than ever.
Also, he needs to go on antibiotics, can we also get them at the feed store or do we have to go to the vet?

*he is neutered

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP, WE ARE HAVING A HECK OF A BATTLE!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
ask your vet about the correct dosage for the ivermectin. You dont inject it, just put it on the dogs food.

I did the ivermectin with maggie(along with switching to a raw diet) and her mange is almost 100% cleared up, just one tiny spot on her back that isnt growing back..i think it's scarred forever but we'll see

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have also talked to people who switched to a RAW diet and this helped them as well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
AllAmericanPUP said:
ask your vet about the correct dosage for the ivermectin. You dont inject it, just put it on the dogs food.

I did the ivermectin with maggie(along with switching to a raw diet) and her mange is almost 100% cleared up, just one tiny spot on her back that isnt growing back..i think it's scarred forever but we'll see
I agree with ivemectin treatment for out of control mange, and If you are a do it yourself person you can use injectable ivermectin( Ivermectin 1% is equal to Ivermectin 10 mg/ml, this is the strength of what is in 1% ivermectin injection for cattle.) I am sure this will be controversial, but its intended for those who are capable of treating there own.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Try using a Preventic collar for the demodex. This is the ONLY thing that works for my Pit mix. When I found her, she was living in a wooded area. She was around 4 months old, covered in sores and severe case of demodex. I tried the Mitiban dips, ivomec injections, daily interceptor, and finally someone told me about this collar. You'll notice a marked improvement in about 2 weeks. Call and check with vets in your area, not all of them carry this. It costs around $14.00, and works wonders. Make sure to fit the collar around the neck so that it makes direct contact with her skin & coat. Allow enough room for 2 fingers to slip under the collar. Cut off the excess, and properly discard. This collar contains Amitraz (same ingredient in Mitaban), but the collar is much cheaper, more convenient and works better than those stinky dips. The collar lasts for around 4 months!

I also have her on Natural Balance Duck & Potato. It's a more expensive brand of food, but she loves it. It's made for dogs with allergies, so she's done really well on it. Good luck, hope this works for your dog!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
the basic formula my vet used was .03 cc ivermectic orally per pound of body weight every day for at least 90 days. but i don't know the percent concentration of ivermectin in the bottle i'm using. i'll have to check tonight.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts