Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really could use some help; i don't know if it's me or if my dog needs something he's seemingly not getting...
my boyfriend and i live together and have a four month old red nose male. he's a true gem, a real good dog as far as how he's progressing in his "training" (i.e. no bite, potty outside, sit, stay, etc...)
my concern comes from the way he is with my boyfriend. my boyfriend goes to work and is gone for 11 hours a day. i am home more often, so i spend more time with our puppy discipline wise and playtime wise. when my boyfriend gets home, everything except for him ceases to exist. our puppy no longer listens to me or even notices i'm there it seems. if my boyfriend isn't touching our puppy in some way, our puppy seems very distraught and upset. as soon as my boyfriend comes within range of our puppy, our puppy acts like a crazy dog, almost crying out loud. our puppy starts licking him as though our puppy's starving for the taste of his skin and will not stop until he is actually made to stop. i love this dog; how can i get him to look at us as more of a team unit? am i just crazy in the head or is there something behind his seemingly desperate behavior? :(

·
Registered
65 Posts
i get this with luna a lot. she worships the ground my boyfriend walks on. and i just take it for what it's worth - i think she goes for the male because he's more dominant in her eyes - totally just a guess/what i've been told a few times, but i think it's pretty accurate.

the important thing is that she takes commands from you and respects you. sometimes i even go as far as to tell my boyfriend to back off when it's the two of us with luna - like a "me giving commands only" day out for us. as long as your pup's listening to you, i think the only issue you have is to control his craziness when your boyfriend comes home. and half of that, i'm sure, comes with age and consistent training.

good luck - believe me, i know it's tough being second best!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much for your reply. i appreciate your time and attention and wish you much luck and love as well...
julianlee

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have exactly the same problem and my staffy is now nearly 11 months old so its getting a real problem now.
We have tried allsorts but she just wont stop its like she is posessed or something.
If he gets up and leaves the room for like 10 seconds and comes back in its like hes been gone all day.
As soon as he does touch her she turns into a crazy dog and dives all over him while hes constantly telling her off and down and no but nothing works.
He is in serious trouble of going off her and it is starting to cause friction in our relationship now so any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh, i hope chopper's not still so anxious at that age. honestly, i just feel bad for him. since the day i first posted, my man has taken a slightly more "business" mode with chopper. he's allocating time with chopper as soon as he gets home from work. they go for a walk for about 1/2 hour together and he gets to work on sit, stay, no street, etc... and yet still getting some healthy time just one on one. i've got to tell you, the difference has been phenomenal. we also starting allocating his time on the bed with the two of us and the rest of the time he gets to see us together, as an alpha unit, i hope. i must say, i was at my wits end on the day i posted and i am so thankful for a forum of this level. our little guys are so much a member of hte family, i beleive it is hard sometimes for US to remember that they aren't human and therefore have very different needs. i hope this helps and just know you are not alone! your boyfriend standing by your side through this in a loving and optimistic, willing to do all that it takes, position really, really helps. have a great day, momma. :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Buddy does this with my hub as well. Which is funny for a lil dog who was terrified of him at 1st. :) Buddy hears his truck pull up, he goes to the door and waits. LOL from then on.. it's all about daddy.

But this is sort of "our" fault too. (not meaning it as a problem) Since Buddy was so afraid.. when ever he wanted or my hubby wanted time together.. we all stepped back and let them have time-- If that makes any sense. He learned early that very good things come from daddy. IE the best treats ever & loads of attn when he went to see daddy. Not that the rest of us have not and do not do these things with Buddy-- But what came from daddy had to be extra special. :wink: This method worked very well & they have a super bond now.

·
Registered
65 Posts
sadie - i think it would be best to nip this one in the bud...
does your pup have a bed or anything in the living room, or some other common area of the house?

whenever we need to "control" luna's behavior (like someone at the door, or company arrived and she's going nutso, etc...) we tell her "go lay down" as a kind of reset button on her behavior. in her bed, she can regain control and then is allowed to welcome the company. but if she gets crazy again, she needs to go back to her bed.

we also did this when we were first leaving her alone for longer periods of time. she would get super crazy when we re-entered the house. so to keep her emotions at a stable level, we sent her to her bed and made her stay for a few, then approached her after some time (like 2 min, but by her you'd think it was forever!).

her bed is just a good place for her to see you, know you're in the house with her, but for her to still stay calm and "in control."

i hope this helps - and remember, take it all in small steps. you may not even get her to stay on her bed at first. but reward her for the slightest "stay", even if it only last a second or two. be ready with treats and she'll soon associate the two - staying with treats, and then you'll be golden!

good luck...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts