Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't the first time Abby's taken the stuffing out of her crate bed. The last time she did I sewed it up and put the stuffing back in. This time though, it was a lot worse. I don't think I can sew it up easily either. She's in the crate atleast 4 hours a day, my mom comes home earlier then me and lets her out sometimes. Do you think I should walk Abby before I go to school? I'd have to wake up really early and it will be dark out, plus her food has to digest so she doesn't bloat so it's really hard for me to walk her before school. Any solutions are welcome.

Thanks.

here's a couple pictures from today that i took:

(im the one that put all the stuffing in the neat pile lol, not abby)

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
A walk would be good and might help. But I dont think it is going to solve it. some dogs just do that. Kate LOVED her bed when my mom got it for her and then within the week she tore it apart. Now she just has a cheap blanket in there from walmart. It takes up all the floor space and keeps her warm and comfy. Does abby have any toys in there with her?

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kate said:
A walk would be good and might help. But I dont think it is going to solve it. some dogs just do that. Kate LOVED her bed when my mom got it for her and then within the week she tore it apart. Now she just has a cheap blanket in there from walmart. It takes up all the floor space and keeps her warm and comfy. Does abby have any toys in there with her?
No, I know she'd tear the plush toys up and could choke on a chew toy without supervision. I wouldn't want to take the chances of either of them. I think i'll probably buy a cheap blanket too like you and put it in the crate. My mom might sew it back together but she'll probably just chew it up again.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
a lot of people put treats or peanut butter in kongs when their dogs are in crates. It's so easy for them to get bored in there. I once read that a dog cant tell time... there is no difference between one hour and three. But still, an hour alone, id get bored!!! but Kate's allergic to peanut butter so I just put her nylabone in there for her. When she was growing up, her previous owner had her in her crate all time, even when he was home, so she got used to being in there quite a bit. But if he didn't do that, her blanket might be in shreds now!

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could put her peanut butter kong in with her. It's pretty big so she couldn't choke on it and it will keep her occupied for an hour.

I'm not sure if it's hot or cold where you are, but there's a special kong recipe for when it's cold. You put a bit of peanut butter (in your case something different that's solid and sticky)on the bottom and pour chicken broth into it, then freeze it over night. It's best for outside cause when it melts it's messy, but in the hot weather it cools them off. Just a thought cause I know your Kate is allergic to PB.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
oh wow, that sounds like a great idea! thanx kim :)

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Remove that cushion from the crate, she could get a blockage. If she is still going through a destructive stage I would put nothing in the crate with her. I had to do this with Smooch. We all like our dogs to be comfortable but an intestinal blockage isn't worth it.

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Lisa said:
Remove that cushion from the crate, she could get a blockage. If she is still going through a destructive stage I would put nothing in the crate with her. I had to do this with Smooch. We all like our dogs to be comfortable but an intestinal blockage isn't worth it.
I agree with Lisa. We have NOTHING in Haus' crate now, after he has thrown up 2 pieces of different blankets. He gets a kong or a nylabone, that's it.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I took the bed out cause even if I sew it up she's just going to chew it up again. I put in a blankey so atleast she'll have something soft and warm to lie on. I've put blankets in her crate since she's a puppy and she's never chewed them up before so i'm pretty confident that she won't chew this one up.

Thanks for all the advice though! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.