Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Deuce got a new backpack. The trainer said to use it to wear him out, and that it would help with his biting issue b/c he will be tired and not be so hyper. I am not sure how long I should walk him with it though. He is 5 months and it is very hot here, like 90's most days. How long would you suggest walking him with the pack? What do you think?

He has only walked with it once so far and it didn't have anything in it. Just wanted to get him used to it. He did great, it didn't bother him at all.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
IMO I think aout 20 min. but I would wait till dusk when it cools down a bit!
He looks like a seeing eye dog with his back pack on!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I will be starting my new exercise routine today and I will do mine at 3pm and then him at 8 or so, once it is cooler. Well it never gets "cool" here, but anyway. I don't know what is up with him in the first pic. He is making the wierdest face. That is a new one on me. I guess he is just ashamed and irritated with me.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hey got a idea for ya... you know those emergency ice packs that you just squish all up to make them cold or even the ones you put in the freezer to make cold and reuse .... maybe if the back pack has zipper pockets built in to it you can wrap some up with paper towles and put them in the pockets so he will have a cool back pack and it might help to keep him cooler while walking??? just a thought!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I was thinking about doing that b/c my trainer suggested it. I am just not sure how long to walk him, even without the pack. I wish he was older so it wouldn't be so complicated, but oh well. We will just have to figure something out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Mel, when we walk Mench in the evening we kinda wait for him to sinal us that he has had enough. We usually go about 8:30 and walk for about 45 min to an hour. He will start to stop more than normal and gives me this look when he's ready for a bowl of water and a bed. I bet you'll get the hang of it in no time. Also I would put some bottled water in there as well to add weight and also to be safe!

·
Registered
7,413 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. Southern summers are brutal! I actually really enjoyed a Canadian summer. Wouldn't want to do the winter, though! :reindeer:

Duecey's a cutie! I think the ice packs in the backpack are a brilliant idea!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Yeah he wasn't too sure, it was the first time he had it on, but when we walked with it he was fine. I am definately going to do the ice pack and bring some water. Thanks for the compliments.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts