Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it necessary or advisable to remove these? I'm just curious, I'll be heading to the vets tonight (wish me luck there's always bigger dogs there and Sam goes nuts) and I'll ask him what he thinks...

Sarah

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Unless the dew claws aren't connected to the bone, I'd recommend not having them surgically removed. When a dog has dew claw surgery past the age of 3-5 days, it is a much more complicated procedure that involves a long healing time. We were going to have Bella's removed when she was spayed at 18 weeks old, but we decided not to make her go through that. She uses her dew claws to hold on to toys and bones and things, so they're not completely useless.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Our old vet talked us into removing Heidi's dew claws when we had her spayed. It was a big mistake. They took forever to heal and they ended up getting infected. I wouldn't recomend it. We left Chico "all natural" and he's never had any problems with them.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
See, I always thought they were better removed. When i worked at the animal hospital, we did it all the time
and never had a problem (then again, our doctors are the best). I can't even count the number of large dogs
(mostly bullies) that have some in after ripping them out. THAT is painful. I think if you find an experienced
vet who does laser removal, there should be no problem. A couple of my friends with pits hace had them removed.
They healed pretty fast and they can still hold stuff. But it is in your decision, so talk about your options with your vet.

There must be some good reason why most good bully breeders have them removed before the puppy comes home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.