Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this morning I let Sam out of her crate and put her out, when she came in I got her food ready and went through that routine. Now prior to this she had been chasing the cat and I had told her at least twice to leave it. I set her food down and the dog takes one bite and as soon as I'm out of sight she's cornering the cat again. So I told her NO and put her in her crate to wait till I'm done eating breakfast. Was that right? Let me know what you think...

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on pincer collars? I asked in another post but thought I'd throw it in here since I think it may have gotten lost. Thanks everyone...

Sarah

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
Some people have different ideas on this....but I never use the crate as a punishment. My dogs enjoy their crates and don't want them to see it as a negative thing.

as far as the pinch collar, I use it on my dogs and it's a great training tool if used correctly. It's easily abused so do your research on how to use it properly and I think you'll find it can be a great help with these stubborn bullies! :wink:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK where can I find research material on how to use them properly? As far as the crate goes, I am torn on this issue of not wanting to use it for punishment but I'm unlear as to what to do w/ her when she's constantly doing what I've told her NOT to do. I live in a rather small place so sometimes the crate is all I feel I have to take her out of the situation. Any suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Like Kasco said, the crate should be a place of quiet and security, not punishment but a lot of people put their dogs in it when they are bad for lack of a better option. When Chapps and Holly are naughty, I usually put them outside for a bit, or I redirect their attention to something else.

About the cat thing, most pitties have a very high prey drive. I tried introducing my pitty to cats when I first got him and it just didn't work out. I take it you had this cat before you got Sam and all I can say, if she's not used to cats, it will take a little while to get used to this little fluffy thing running around.

And about the prong collar, i commented on your other post. Google "prong collar"...should help you out about hot to properly use one.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Scroll down in this section ( training and obedience ) to my thread " I bought the prong now what" There is a link on how to properly put it on and another link on how to properly use it.

I have a crate as well but I DO NOT use it as punishment. Buster loves his crate and I wouldn't want to turn it into a place he doesn't enjoy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think the opinion differ for this reason

See the same mentality but the other way around. Brooklyn is never crated and she lives in the house like we do. So the crate for her is punishment as from the day she was born she always HATED them. So what better way to teach her she did something bad then to put her in a place she hates? She doesn't hate is cause I began to use it as punishment. Originally we had crate trained her from about 2 months. And since that very day anytime you put her in a crate she will howl, slobber and fret. I believe it's high seperation anxiety. But so far there is not a crate she can't bust out of in 15 minutes flat.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Try keeping her tethered to you with a leash and regular collar. When she goes after the cat (or does somthing else she's not supposed to) give the leash a quick pop (sharp tug), tell her no.

Do some research on NILIF (Nothing In Life Is Free) training. You can google it and find just a ton of info. NILIF teaches the dog that they have to earn everything. From food, to affection, to anything. Very good training for a stubborn bully.

Also, when you feed her, and she leaves it to chase the cat, take her food away until her next feeding. No treats or anything in between either. Might seem cruel, but she needs to learn that you are the keeper for the food, and that if she wants to eat - she'd better do it when you tell her to. Don't worry, she wont starve herself. She'll learn real quick to eat when it's offered.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
newpitowner said:
OK where can I find research material on how to use them properly? As far as the crate goes, I am torn on this issue of not wanting to use it for punishment but I'm unlear as to what to do w/ her when she's constantly doing what I've told her NOT to do. I live in a rather small place so sometimes the crate is all I feel I have to take her out of the situation. Any suggestions would be appreciated...
I would put her in a long down - you keep the dog leashed and set your foot on the leash and keep her laying down for a while - 10 or 15, 20 min or so.

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
msvette2u said:
newpitowner said:
I would put her in a long down - you keep the dog leashed and set your foot on the leash and keep her laying down for a while - 10 or 15, 20 min or so.
Yes...good solution, but I doubt she's at that level of obedience yet. start out small, work up the "down" time.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
979 Posts
When I first got Amrika I kept her tied to me or on leash while I was teaching her to leave the cats. After that we moved to a training tab (like a leash cut short to about a foot or few inches so she wouldn't drag a leash) and a spray bottle with water. She wears a martingale collar and walks on that. She has no leash manners so I've been using the Halti until I train her to heel.

Paula

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh no, the cat issue is seperate from the collar issue. Sam knows how to leave the cat EXCEPT when she's all hyped up but even then she's not looking aggressive - more like a play attitude - but it doesn't matter cat's are a no no.

The prong collar is only used while walking and or situations where I feel I need to have extra control.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well we don't use our crate for punishment either, she enjoys it and I don't want her to start losing her interest in it.
As for the cat, these type of dogs have a high prey drive, and most do not get along with cats.
Our amstaff hates cats, and that's something we kind of knew when we were looking into getting her before hand.

·
Registered
979 Posts
mtinyfeet said:
Well we don't use our crate for punishment either, she enjoys it and I don't want her to start losing her interest in it.
As for the cat, these type of dogs have a high prey drive, and most do not get along with cats.
Our amstaff hates cats, and that's something we kind of knew when we were looking into getting her before hand.
Ami loves Pippin, but O Malley hates her so she ignores him. It's kind of funny to watch a clutzy AB/Pit try to rest her hammerhead on the cat.

Paula

1 - 15 of 15 Posts