Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I just have to share this story because I am so disappointed.

I have a friend who is a dog lover. Up until 2 weeks ago she had 3 dogs. Two Daschunds and a Yellow Lab. Two were from backyard breeders and the other from a Pet Store. :shock: . When she obtained these dogs she knew nothing about responsible breeding, puppy mills etc. I understood that and never crucified her for her poor decisions, as she really didn't understand what she had done. So, over the past several months, I have been educating her about responsible breeding. She even got her lab spayed after telling me when I first met her (we've only been friends for about 1.5 - 2 yrs) that she wanted to breed her. I took her out to my club a few times for some obedience and to give her a chance to interact and meet with responsible people who aren't into dogs for the money. She was really getting it and was actually starting to criticize backyard breeders herself!

During this time, she decided she wanted to get another dog that she could get out there with and show and work. First she wanted to try Schutzhund, and tossed around the idea of getting a Doberman. She realized that was too much comitment for her and decided she would rather get into obeidnce/agility as it is less demanding of her time. She began researching breeds and it seemed like each week she was changing her mind what she wanted to get. She went from Border Collie, to Corgi, even though about another Dachshund. I explained to her the importance of going to a good breeder and explained to her not to be impresed by "papers", fancy websites and all that other stuff.

Well, I have come to find out that 2 weeks ago she got a Westie puppy. She has been keeping it form me and finally decided to tell me. Apparently she knows the person who had the litter. Apparently the pups are registered but the people do nothing at all with their dogs and she even paid $900 for it. I asked her if the breeder kept a pup for themselves and she said no. That tells me alot about the priorities of this breeder. Breeding dogs is obviously not about improving their breeding program or else they would have kept one. They obviously did this for the $$$.

I am so upset with my friend. I spent so much time trying to educate her but she got in a big rush and she just had to have a pup from our local area so she could go pick it out herself. She wanted nothing to do with a breeder who was far away, even if they were the most reputable breeder in the world. She wanted a dog and she wanted it now. Waiting lists were out of the question, she just wanted a puppy and would not wait for the right breeding. This was a total impulse buy on her part. I asked her the registered name of the puppy and she couldn't even tell me the breeders kennel name or a darn thing about the dogs in her pups pedigree. She is totally ignorant about the background of her puppy. It could be a descendant of another backyard breeder or puppy mill for all she knows! She is so hung up on the fact the parents are "registered" and were "on site" and thought that since they have been breeding for 10 years that these people are reputable. Well, I am sorry, but reputable breeders usually keep back a pup from the litters they have.

Sorry I just had to vent. I really thought my friend was getting it but she proved me wrong and went out and made another impulse buy. Mind you the puppy seems nice, very nice temperament and seemed very confident with good nerves from what I could see (I saw the pup at their home though). It is a bit comforting but I am still upset that she put money into the hands of another backyard breeder. This is what keeps these people breeding! :-X

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
All you can do is try. Sometimes people just don't get it. Someday if a health problem rears up she'll wish she listened. :roll:

I have this problem all the time, although I tend to preach about the harmfull crap we put into our pets bodies. I have friends who change their food to a good food for a while, then it's back to the same old sh*t. :evil:

·
Registered
78 Posts
try this one, one of my friends has a purebread beagle pup, from a byb, overpriced and doesn't fall within the breed standard for size (for some reason his dog is huge!), so yesterday we were talking about dogs in general and he says "Well, my dog is too big for his breed, so i won't breed him to a beagle, but he sure will make cute puggles!" (pug X beagle) .. :shock: i told him i was going to print a few things from the internet for him to read ...

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
danica said:
try this one, one of my friends has a purebread beagle pup, from a byb, overpriced and doesn't fall within the breed standard for size (for some reason his dog is huge!), so yesterday we were talking about dogs in general and he says "Well, my dog is too big for his breed, so i won't breed him to a beagle, but he sure will make cute puggles!" (pug X beagle) .. :shock: i told him i was going to print a few things from the internet for him to read ...
This whole puggle craze right now is driving me nuts! I can't go to the pet store without seeing at least one puggle. They're cute, but they're mutts!! I hear people bragging all the time about paying $800 for a mutt puppy with registered parents. They must think that means something. :roll:

·
Registered
11,423 Posts
bella_blue said:
How frustrating!!! The fact that she kept it from know indicates that she's at least a little bit ashamed of what she did.
I agree.

Sometimes no matter how hard you try, people just don't "get it". Or, don't really care. :roll:

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
you can lead a horse to water but you can not make them drink.
being true to your own morals and standards and associating with people that have those same morals and standards is about the only thing that can help stop you from going insane

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I AGREE with Cathy. I have stopped worrying and educating with people trying to stir them in the right direction etc.. I just ignore them now. I cant take it anymore and it ends up ruining my day so......
You tried Lisa! :?

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Why?

I can not never have understood why people want to pay big bucks for a dog that they have no idea what their personality characteristics are going to be like?????????? I like knowing what I am getting myself into.I am not saying not to adopt that adorable Bully/???? mix a the pound those babies need love too. However, I am saying don't pay a ton for a mutt when you can save a life at the pound. When I brought my AB home I went kissed all of my shoes good bye, LOL, I keep her crated when I am gone but where there is a will there is a way.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A westie huh? Hope she's prepared to deal with a dog that has food and airborne allergies from hell! Well you did your best to guide her, and I sure don't mind if she contacts me with breed related questions, I have been showing and breeding westies for over 10 yrs now.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well Lisa, at least you tried. Sometimes people just don't listen. :cussing: I could understand if she had never been informed about buying from a BYB, but sounds like you had well informed her. I do agree with others, that she must feel sorta bad, thus being the reason she has chosen to keep it from you. Hopefully everything will turn out well with her new pup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.