Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sort of embarassing to ask about, but i've been wandering this since Abby started getting it.

Abby been having discharge about once a month and were thinking it's the time when she's suppose to be in heat. Now, she was spayed at 3 months and we were wandering if that has anything to do with it? Oh and the odor is disgusting! You can't be in the same room when she has it and it stinks the blankets or whatever she's sitting on too, cause it get's on there.

Any information is appreciated!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I would suggest her being seen by the vet a.s.a.p. it may be nothing to worry about. But it does sound as if she has an infection (uterus). When a female is fixed, the uterus is not always removed but they simply cut & cauterize the fallopian tubes as they do with humans. Or it could just be her normal time of the month. Best of luck!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Or it could just be her normal time of the month.
Just curious as to what you mean by that. I ask because I have noticed my female AB also has a discharge (although not smelly) and bitches usually cycle on average, twice per year. I don't understand what you mean by "time of the month".

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't believe it's something I have to bring her to the vet for. It only last like 5 minutes once a month and then it's gone. Abby has a check up in April and i'll mention it to the vet. I don't believe it's an infection because she's fine going to the bathroom etc. The only possible infectin I think it could be would be urinary infection and that's not it because she has no trouble peeing.

I'll look into it more though.

Thanks anyways :wink:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Are you actually seeing this vaginal discharge? Or do you just smell it occasionally. Because by your description of the "toxic" smell, it almosts sounds like you are describing anal gland excretions.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I know when Scarlet had a discharge we took her to the vet and it was puppy vaginitus(sp?). An infection in her ho-ho. She had to go on antibiotics. We noticed it was an off green color and thats what promted us for the vet visit.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Miakoda said:
Are you actually seeing this vaginal discharge? Or do you just smell it occasionally. Because by your description of the "toxic" smell, it almosts sounds like you are describing anal gland excretions.
Sometimes we can see it on blankets or whatever. It's not green and it's only occasionally, she does not have this everyday.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
Miakoda said:
Sometimes we can see it on blankets or whatever. It's not green and it's only occasionally, she does not have this everyday.
This might sound gross (but remember, you brought it up :wink: ), but can you describe it? It's not uncommon for some females to have a clear (kind of opaque/whitish tint), odor-less discharge occasionally. Since most dogs clean themselves on a regular basis it's not usually noticealbe. However, it should not have a smell to it.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Miakoda said:
ambulldogpup said:
Miakoda said:
This might sound gross (but remember, you brought it up :wink: ), but can you describe it? It's not uncommon for some females to have a clear (kind of opaque/whitish tint), odor-less discharge occasionally. Since most dogs clean themselves on a regular basis it's not usually noticealbe. However, it should not have a smell to it.
Lol, no problem, anything to help my baby. Well it's like what you described, clear whitish discharge. The smell is un-bearable though, I can't even describe it. When she has it she goes on the floor and cleans her self like crazy, poor thing, think she's embarrassed from it. I usually put her outside so it will go away. This may have nothing to do with it, but she does act very dis-obedient before she has it, she won't listen and will do something to get negative attention. That's why I think that's when she's suppose to be in heat.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
She must have an infection. I'd get her to the vet ASAP for some antibiotics or else it'll spread, and that could be potentially fatal. Treat it now while it's just in her hoo-ha.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Miakoda said:
I think this is the smell i smell from kate sometimes and it is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!! and she always seems to lick the area that smells the worse. I never see any discharge or anything tho

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
Miakoda said:
That was my first thought. I think the anal gland smell smells like rotting fish or something. Does it smell like that?

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kogeki said:
Miakoda said:
That was my first thought. I think the anal gland smell smells like rotting fish or something. Does it smell like that?
.....I've never smelt rotten fish before, but I suppose it would. I'm not quite sure, it sort of smells like a dirty pond or lake. So maybe that relates to the rotting fish. It's a very distinct odor though.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LuvaBULL said:
She must have an infection. I'd get her to the vet ASAP for some antibiotics or else it'll spread, and that could be potentially fatal. Treat it now while it's just in her hoo-ha.
She doesn't have it now, so the vet wouldn't be able to do anything. And like Kate, it doesn't always have a discharge, sometimes it just smells w/no discharge.

What could spread? And where would it spread it to? Where are you getting this from?

I believe I said earlier, me being the primary owner, do not believe this is a major emergency rush over to the vet kind of thing. I think i'm going to wait until April, when she get's her check up.

Please, if your not a certified vet, don't tell me something could be potentially fatal and not have answers to support your "accusation". That's not something I like getting thrown at me. I have enough on my plate as it is, with the car accident and such.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Well I treat humans, not dogs, so I could be wrong... but anytime you have a vaginal infection, it can spread to your pelvic organs, and that is deadly. I also know from experience. I had an endometrial biopsy that went wrong and the resulting infection spread to my pelvis. I now only have one fallopian tube (it was surgically removed) and will probably never have more children. I could have died if it continued to spread. An odor is the first sign of infection, and it's not something I would personally ignore, but you're right. It's your dog, and if you feel it's non-urgent, I'm sure you know what's best for your dog.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
And I see you must have edited your post to say I threw "accusations" at you. (???) I was alerting you to a potential danger. Did you not post a question on here asking for advice, or did I miss something? You want something to support my "accusations" -- look it up. I didn't just pull that out of thin air. If MY dog had a foul stench coming from her body, I'd have it looked in to. Could be nothing, could be harmful. That's why you have it checked out, and that's all I was suggesting. I don't think that's terrible advice.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
kogeki said:
Miakoda said:
I asked that b/c it's very, very possible that the smell has nothing to do with the discharge. If the dog is licking her vulva & the surrounding area to clean herself & clean up the discharge, it's quite possible that the licking stimulated her to expel some material from her anal glands. Many dogs lick their anal gland area (or entire rear end) in an effort to expel the material if they (the glands) are too full & causing discomfort.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Miakoda said:
I asked that b/c it's very, very possible that the smell has nothing to do with the discharge. If the dog is licking her vulva & the surrounding area to clean herself & clean up the discharge, it's quite possible that the licking stimulated her to expel some material from her anal glands. Many dogs lick their anal gland area (or entire rear end) in an effort to expel the material if they (the glands) are too full & causing discomfort.
Do you think it's something I should get checked out by the vet? Or is that normal in some dogs?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
ambulldogpup said:
Miakoda said:
Do you think it's something I should get checked out by the vet? Or is that normal in some dogs?
Unfortunately, all dogs have anal glands & all dogs LOVE to express them. Usually they are expressed whenever the dog has a bowel movement, but sometimes they don't & then material builds up inside of them & causes discomfort for the dog. Many dogs will chew & lick this area while some resort to the "butt scootin boogie" where they drag their butts across the ground. All of this is in an effort to express the glands & it usually works somewhat. Unfortunately, the licking & chewing is usually done in your house so you & the other humans will get to smell the "aroma" of the anal gland material.

If the vaginal discharge is just occasionally & is white/clear in color & has not odor, then I would not be too concerned about it. (I hate to bring this up, but think in terms of female humans--it's normal). However, if the discharge has a sweet smell to it, then it's possible the dog is developing a yeast infection.

But if the dog is just licking her genital area & then you notice a smell, my money is on the guess that she expressed a small amount of anal gland material in her clean-up efforts. Which is normal.

Edit: I wanted to ad that when you go to the vet with the dog in question in April, mention all this to the vet. Also have him/her check the dog's anal glands to make sure they are not too full & need to be expressed manually.

·
Banned
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Miakoda said:
Unfortunately, all dogs have anal glands & all dogs LOVE to express them. Usually they are expressed whenever the dog has a bowel movement, but sometimes they don't & then material builds up inside of them & causes discomfort for the dog. Many dogs will chew & lick this area while some resort to the "butt scootin boogie" where they drag their butts across the ground. All of this is in an effort to express the glands & it usually works somewhat. Unfortunately, the licking & chewing is usually done in your house so you & the other humans will get to smell the "aroma" of the anal gland material.

If the vaginal discharge is just occasionally & is white/clear in color & has not odor, then I would not be too concerned about it. (I hate to bring this up, but think in terms of female humans--it's normal). However, if the discharge has a sweet smell to it, then it's possible the dog is developing a yeast infection.

But if the dog is just licking her genital area & then you notice a smell, my money is on the guess that she expressed a small amount of anal gland material in her clean-up efforts. Which is normal.

Edit: I wanted to ad that when you go to the vet with the dog in question in April, mention all this to the vet. Also have him/her check the dog's anal glands to make sure they are not too full & need to be expressed manually.
Okay thanks, you've been great help to me :D I'll make sure to mention it to the vet. :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts