Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to socialize my 8 wk old puppy with my brother's 12 week old lab puppy and have introduced him to the neighbor's Schipperke and he doesn't get aggressive per say , but he seems to just play rough . Most dogs seem to nip and let go right away , but my dog seems to latch on and give a little shake . Is this pretty common at that age ?
He doesn't seem to be dominant at all especially around people , the vet today asked if he was lethargic because he was so laid back . He has completely dominated my 12 yr old springer though and its pretty sad . My Springer initially would growl and warn him off , which worked the first 3-4 days . Now that Loki knows that my Springer is all talk he just walks up to him while he is growling and starts to nip him and has even mounted him 3 times much to my dismay . I wish my springer would at least roll him or push him off , but he just lays there growling and finally just gets up and tries to move away . Anyway I should be handling that ? I read that your supposed to let dogs work out there hierarchy and support it . Thanks for you time

Mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
Yes, AB pups (all bully type pups) play rough. Definitely normal! As far as your pup and older dog..let them figure out a balance for now..just watch them as your pup matures. Do not leave them alone unsupervised, do not leave toys or food around that they can both access at the same time, curb rough play and really watch for a hightened play level that could escalate to a fight, etc. Show them that you are alpha over both.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes , they have separate toys and my older dog doesn't remotely interact with the puppy . My wife feels bad for the older dog since the puppy seems to realize he won't ever put him in his place . I have been watching the puppy like a hawk with house breaking and what not . I am starting to feel like a new father all over again :lol: So I definately watch the interaction . So far he definately isn't mean or aggressive to other dogs , he just plays so much harder it seems with them . Not activity wise , but if they nip at his butt he goes straight for there face and doesn't let go . Otherwise he is a really mellow dog and its hard to really get him to play alot . He gets more animated trying to chase my dang shoes and biting my ankles lol , which I immediately stop so then he goes to terrorize the kids .

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
As he!! :shock: LOL Tora will knock the wind out of me sometimes

·
Registered
66 Posts

Our AB plays rough as well. She often has play dates with her brother and the two of them will go all day. A few weeks ago they were together and lost five puppy teeth between the two of them. They love chewing on each others cheeks.

As long as they know who is in charge, YOU, the are just working out the pecking order. As long as your pup remains non agressive you should have no problems. Your lab may feel differently.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He has been fine with other dogs , played well with my mom's golden retriever . Tonight my wife took my son down to my brother's and brought Loki and his puppy acted the same way and this time Loki didn't even give him a chance to " play " as soon as the lab came bounding over Loki locked onto his cheek and started growling and gave him a pretty good shake . My brother thought it was funny , but my wife was like uh uh no more puppy play dates until your lab calms down .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts