Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Do dogs sweat?

3K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Rue2 
#1 ·
I was always under the impression that dogs cooled themselves by panting, but I've noticed that when Maia's been out for a long walk, she stinks! I can only guess that she's been sweating? Or is it something else?

#2 ·
Maia's Dad said:
I was always under the impression that dogs cooled themselves by panting, but I've noticed that when Maia's been out for a long walk, she stinks! I can only guess that she's been sweating? Or is it something else?
Correct, dogs do cool themselves by panting, but they do have sweat glands on their feet (pads). That might be what stinks.

Paula

#4 ·
LOL...yes, it's likely 'foot odour'...

...actually I like the smell of my mini-dachsie's feet...sorta like popcorn... :lol:

#9 ·
Our vet told us that the American Bulldog breed (not sure if this extends to the others) do not sweat, and that the panting out of the mouth is quite ineffective during the hot summer months. That their lack of fur and "blubber layer" if you will leave them succeptable to heat stroke, and the best thing to do for them is cover them with a wet towel. Atticus will lay under his for minutes on end!

But anyways, sorry...feet..sweating....raunchy tostitos.

#13 ·
Josie's Proud Mom said:
KyleB said:
tostitos anyone? :D
LOL Gotta laugh The other night I was laying with Joe, and got a wiff of his feet and the smelt like fritos, Darn if I didn't get hungry for darn fritos later! I know, I know sick! LOL!
:lol: One of my cats had Frito feet. He'd sleep wrapped around my head and I would always dream about and wake up hungry for, Fritos :wink: I loved that damn cat - but he made me fat and broke from all the Fritos! :lol:

#14 ·
Cookies Mom said:
LuvaBULL said:
I was going to ask this same question. It's not Koa's feet, but his skin, especially on his trunk near his front legs... it feels moist. And smelly. And his skin looks very pink (more than his usual pale pink)... what could that be?
Could be an alergic reaction. or a yeast infection.
I was thinking yeast too. Poor Koa can't catch a break with his skin problems.

#16 ·
PaulaEdwina said:
Maia's Dad said:
Correct, dogs do cool themselves by panting, but they do have sweat glands on their feet (pads). That might be what stinks.

Paula
In that case then, her feet smell worse than my Dad's :eek: , and that's saying a lot! :D

#17 ·
CowBella said:
Dogs don't sweat, but they still produce oils to protect their skin and coat... and this is probably what you are smelling when you come in from a hot summer day's walk in the sun.

It's almost the same smell of a 10 year old boy coming in from play... <<SNIFF>>
I think that's probably it- it does smell like a super-intensified doggy smell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.