Bulldog Breeds Forums banner

Do I have an American Bulldog?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  MrsCooper 
#1 ·
Hi All-
I have an 8-month dog which I bought (Thor). He was supposed to be an American Bulldog (Scott-type) but his color is rare as in I haven't seen another one like him (except for a sister he had). Him and his sis are both tan with some white on the chest and feet with a black muzzle/eyes. The rest of the pups in the litter were the traditional white and tan colors. So were the parents. He kinda looks like a Mastiff or Great Dane in the way he is colored, he is 75 pounds and kinda lanky for his age. He doesn't eat much so we figured that is why he's so small. Anyway does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone seen an American Bulldog that looks like this? I can send pics...thanks!

#3 ·
AB's come in all kinds of colors. I have seen an AB that was almost completly covered head to paw in tan she had one blue eye. I have seen total white and and mixed patches. The body form is what is more important, color isn't. Pictures would be great. AB's can also varry in size as well. My pup is allmost 100 lbs at 12 months but he was the 2nd largest pup from smaller parents. Some say the grandparents have alot to do with it as well. Eight months at 75 lbs sounds about right too.

#5 ·
according to the ab breed standards of the registry we use the colour/markings should appear to be colour on white rather than colour with white patchs, i have seen an ab with a very simular look which is of scott blood in the dave putnam book the dog is called big bull's air draxx from big bull kennels, hope this info can help :p

#6 ·
Here are pics of Thor, what do you all think? I always thought he was an American Bulldog but someone at a dog park yesterday said he was a Pitbull? Like I said, his parents looked like American Bulldogs and so did his brothers and sisters...he was the smallest of the litter though. Any thoughts?

#11 ·
We found the breeder his dad came from, therefore the breeder still has my dog Thor's grandparents. He actually is an American Bulldog and came from the Xander of Lichthardt PH line (dam) and Kinghaven's Raging Ruckus CGC, TDI, GDT, IDT3 (sire). The mother appearently has the same coloring as my dog which was the reason everyone always told me that he was NOT an American Bulldog since this color is rare. It's hard for me to understand how his coloring is not desirable because he doesn't look like all the others and I think his coloring is beautiful. When I bought him I didn't know that this color was not preferred. I don't care now either but it's just weird to me. But no, he is not a mix breed; he is a purebred :)

#12 ·
It's only a 'rare' colour in ABs...it's not rare in Mastiffs...

...and I'm guessing that it's not desirable because 'they' would rather the ABs don't have the Mastiff colouration...

Anyone else know for certain :?:

#13 ·
My hubby says the reason it is undesirable is because (he thinks) Olde English Bulldogges were white and they wanna try to stay as close to that as possible because they are extinct???

Also American Bulldogs have Mastiff blood in them but is should be a recessive trait to look like that and our dog isn't so recessive. I know for breeding purposes (we had our dog neutered because he sarted humping) the dog is supposed to be white with colored patches and ours is tan with some white.

#14 ·
My hubby says the reason it is undesirable is because (he thinks) Olde English Bulldogges were white and they wanna try to stay as close to that as possible because they are extinct???
Actually I have a nice old print, that shows an old time EB with that coloration. A lot of breeds related to the AB have that coloring. There are plenty of breeders that breed that color, nothing wrong with it IMO. But you know what they say about opinions and certain human body parts. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.