Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
When I said passive, I meant someone who is more or less just being neutral. Not necessarily still, but not acting aggressive either.

I agree that most dogs of med-large size will deter the average person from breaking into a home. Most people would rather chose another house than stick around and find out how tough the dog is.

Depending on a person's idea of what a guard dog should be, the dog may not necessarily have to possess strong character or even strong defense drive in order to fit that bill.
The same goes for houses with alarms, I asked the police about this and they said they go to very few breakins that have dogs. I think Zeus would make enough noise to make sure the intruder knew he was their, I'm not sure how he would react if confronted.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I was reading some articles about AB's vs GSD's in SchH and PP, and the article pretty much stated that AB's and bulldogs need to be trained differently, they are not as biddable but more of an independent thinker when compared to herders.

So traditional training methods that may work perfectly for herders are not really the ideal way to train a bulldog, they just think differently.

Thoughts?

I have found Horse VERY easy to train but of course most puppies are, lets see how I feel about it in a few more months lol.
I still think the "Bull" means bull headed, out of all the dogs I have had Zeus is by far the most stubborn. Don't get me wrong, I find he is very intelligent and I admire the way he thinks for himself. He will look for any opportunity to suit himself just as long as he feels his chances are high of getting away with it :D

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
But what we are labeling as stubborn, is it really a more intelligent dog?
A dog who thinks for themselves instead of being more biddable then some breeds.

I am not saying a biddable dog is not a good dog, certainly they are easier to train but if I wanted a livestock or home guardian without any training I certainly would want an independent thinker who is capable of making choices when I am not there to give commands.
You are getting way to deep for my tired brain ;) but I know what you mean. Zeus is crafty, If I forget to put the eye and hook on the cat's room he waits until I go around the corner then runs in the room and eats the cat's food. If I leave something tasty on the kitchen counter he will wait until I go to use the washroom before helping himself. He always steals my spot on the couch when I leave the room. He knows this behavior is unacceptable and punishable but he loves to test me. Like I said earlier (on topic), I have know idea how he would react in a protective nature if I wasn't present or not. I have never invited someone in my home and worried about him acting out. He is sometimes hesitant but after a few minutes he will drop a toy by their feet as to say "look someone new to play with". He seems to know that "come on in" means the person is welcome, I don't have any idea how he would react if someone made there way in forcefully.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I'm having some drywall work done on my house so I can paint and Zeus made a huge scene when he came to the door, as soon as I said "come on in" Zeus was cool. The guy commented that this would be the last house he would think of breaking into :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts