Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
181 - 200 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
We thought Harley would jump on the attacker and kiss them until one day... My son was coming home from his friends house and it was dark, he jumped the fence into the backyard not thinking about the dog. Harley spun from one side of the yard and took off growling and barking at him. Good thing for Zach the neighbors motion sensor light went off and Harley saw it was him. Thats when she came to a dead stop and started wagging her tail. To this day zach says he doesn't worry about being home alone with Harley at night he knows what she would do to an intruder. He says it was the scariest look he has ever seen on a dog.
I have a dog who does the same thing. Anytime she senses anyone on her property, she high tails it towards them barking and growling. She appears intimidating to most but could be scared off by anyone by a simple yell and raising of their hand.

I don't know how many times and how many different ways that this whole topic needs to be explained in order for people to understand it. It is very frustrating. Just when you think that people are starting to "get it" along comes another story of a so called "protection" or "guarding" scenario. My guess is the majority of those dogs being discussed could be scared away as easily as my dog can.

Is there still an emoticon for "banging head against wall"?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
lol Lisa

Well now that I have officially been to a few SchH lessons I really see how hard it is to find a dog with the nerve we are talking about here. Watching some of the higher level dogs has really given me perspective of what we have been discussing on this forum regarding protection and drives.

People pay thousands of dollars importing these dogs and STILL do not get a dog with the nerve they are looking for. I think I lucked out with Horse as he seems to have all the right responses (so far) but its all in the breeding combined with the luck of the draw.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a dog who does the same thing. Anytime she senses anyone on her property, she high tails it towards them barking and growling. She appears intimidating to most but could be scared off by anyone by a simple yell and raising of their hand.

I don't know how many times and how many different ways that this whole topic needs to be explained in order for people to understand it. It is very frustrating. Just when you think that people are starting to "get it" along comes another story of a so called "protection" or "guarding" scenario. My guess is the majority of those dogs being discussed could be scared away as easily as my dog can.

Is there still an emoticon for "banging head against wall"?
Lisa, I agree. I know my dog would bark and carry on, and the minute you ignored him and kept approaching...he would run to his crate and hide LOL. However, even if he did bite - it would be out of fear and not because he was protecting me. I think people are misinterpreting fear behaivors with "protection" or "bravery". Im not sure I would have understood/noticed the difference before reading this thread, but now I 100% get it and agree ( at least I think i get it! )...You've at least made it through to one person out here :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Back in the 80's my brother had a pit bull and a doberman. Both were great dogs. He was reading the Kohler Guard Dog book at the time (think that was it), and it suggested firing a cap pistol near the dog to view its response. I seem to remember it saying that there were 3 possible responses - 1) dog runs (no good for guard work) 2) dog stands ground (could be good) or 3) dog advances (high guard potential). When he fired the cap pistol at the 2 of them, the dobe ran away and hid behind his dog house and the pit lunged at the pistol.

After that, he considered taking the pit to a professional guard dog trainer, and they took one look at him (he was very muscular compared to bulls at the time) and wanted $3000 to train him. That was a lot of money 3 decades ago, so he dropped it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Lisa I'm standing right along side of you banging my head on the wall. I think for those with the protection stories it boils down to results. The dog displays the visitor/intruder moves away therefore it must be protection.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Omi protected me from two camel back crickets that intruded my home. She killed both of them without any commands. She seen I was extremely distressed and acted accordingly.
(camel back crickets are hideously scary)

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Murphy guards the house against the mail lady. He knows shes up to no good. Why does she come every day to our door, and then just leave? What the hell is she doing? Mom dad don't seem to mind, but I have to keep my eye on her because I know she is bad news. And she walks right past the window and doesnt even look at me! How dare she disrespect me on my turf. One day I'm going to get that lady and Im going to give her a piece of my mind!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Murphy guards the house against the mail lady. He knows shes up to no good. Why does she come every day to our door, and then just leave? What the hell is she doing? Mom dad don't seem to mind, but I have to keep my eye on her because I know she is bad news. And she walks right past the window and doesnt even look at me! How dare she disrespect me on my turf. One day I'm going to get that lady and Im going to give her a piece of my mind!

Love this. lol

·
Registered
343 Posts
bumping an old thread. Not sure about my pit. She is extremely friendly and has only growled and barked now that she is older when she see's someone approached the door. She seems too nice for me to think that she will actually attack. She has bit but only dogs. She hates to be mounted.

With that said I had a dog a few years back that I gave up because he was extremely aggressive. He was an amstaff. As soon as he hit 1 year old he hated every dog and person that he did not know. My buddy came over on his motorcycle and parked it out front. Luckily he had his motorcycle boots on and knee pads. I walked out to the back yard with him and my dog attacked and grabbed his leg. He tore his jeans pretty good and luckily the knee pads took most of the beating. He has tried to bite several times and because of that I kept him away from everyone.

With that said I have a buddy that has a Presa Canario. Huge dog. He calls me one day and tells me his stolen motorcycle was found and is in an impound lot. He needs someone with an M1 license to go get it out. I go with him and while we are there he keeps telling me how mean his dog is. They finally bring the bike out and he tells me to meet him at his house. I ride his bike to his house and I pull up in the driveway. The dog comes running up the gate barking. I looked over and got off of the bike and took my helmet off. The dog ran off and comes back with a soccer ball in his mouth, drops it and pushes it with his nose towards me. He was behind the gate and I could not stop laughing.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I have no idea about pits . . . we've had dogs who loved everyone, a couple standoffish ones and a few protective . . . different personalities . . .

I think with an intruder in the house right now:

Katie, our big 80 pound aussie would bark, but tuck her tail, run and hide . . .

the 50 pound bullies would bark, growl, push, they work together and double team, they grab pants legs, go for the ankles, Griff would grab a crotch but they have crooked little nubby teeth that seem to pinch more than anything . . . they would scare, intimidate but not sure their teeth would do much damage . . . they can be pretty hard to pull off pants legs though, lol!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a friend with a beautiful pit named Kayla. Said friend's husband travels for work; he's gone for weeks @ a time. He wanted her to get a gun for protection, since she & the 2 kids (under age 10) are home alone a lot. They don't live in a bad neighborhood, but bad things can happen anywhere. Anyways; someone was lurking one night in their yard; Kayla went on defense mode, & came back in with a piece of a man's shirt. The friend & I both think that if the hubby were home, Kayla would have just alerted.

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
I'm having some drywall work done on my house so I can paint and Zeus made a huge scene when he came to the door, as soon as I said "come on in" Zeus was cool. The guy commented that this would be the last house he would think of breaking into :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
If properly trained as a guard dog, but naturally I'd say no. We've owned 2 pit bull's and one was stolen while they were both in my backyard. They make good watchdogs because they are pretty territorial, but all in all they are friendly natured towards humans.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Old thread but just wanted to say I enjoyed reading it. A lot of valid points were brought up that really make you think. My O.E.B. puppy is only 4 months old so I really have no idea how he will act as far as protectiveness or even putting on a display when he's older. I think he will be a good alert dog and visual deterrent at least, given the fact that he's a big boy, has a deep bark already and barks or growls if someone comes to the door or he hears noises outside. That's all I would really expect from him is to alert if someone is around. He loves people and other dogs, he's observant as is natural for the breed. So if we're outside and someone is say 10 feet or farther away he will just sit and watch them, which some people take as him "staring them down" once they come closer he wants to go up and get attention. Some people are obviously scared of him already (peek out the door and close it back if he's outside) which he really is just a 40 some pound big baby pup. His dad is huge 120lbs and mom is around 75-80lbs so I think when he's grown his size, looks and bark will be enough of a deterrent for *most situations or people*. Hope to never find out whether he would do more than bark or growl and certainly wouldn't expect him to attack someone without protection training.

181 - 200 of 206 Posts