Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
101 - 120 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Do pitbulls make good guard dogs? Do they have that natural drive. I read a story once that a woman had her house broken into and her rescue pitbull killed the man. Lots of people replied to this and said their dog would do the same. I highly doubt my two dogs would ever do that. Would yours?
Are you referring to the many mnay breeds which may or may not be related even to APBTs or APBTs? That to me makes a difference.

American Pit Bull Terriers should have plenty of drive but that doesn't or shall I say shouldn't transfer over as human aggression. Unprovoked human aggression is not something associated with American Pit Bull Terriers nor tolerated by responsible owners and breeders. Now that being said add a guarding /working dog breed into the mix and you never know because of the purpose of the other breed. I say this because honestly who knows what else was in the rescued dog... Too many dogs are just called pit bull that are nowhere related to APBTs.

Now if an owner or the dog itself was being threatened depending on the specific circumstances no matter what the breed any dog could certainly bite, but I think it would depend on the individual dog and the whole scenario..

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Orson has a pretty deep bark, I have found that bulldogs have a high pitched bark sometimes that really doesn't match their appearance.

I am pretty sure Horse will have a high pitched bark.

I should try and make a video of my mastiff putting on her show, she bears teeth and everything, her bark and growl are extremely deep (she will give a very low long growl and then one bark and repeat)... its pretty freaking scary if I didn't know she was a big baby.
Lo is only 55 lbs and she has both a high pitched bark, like ear piercing, and a very deep bark like Orson, which i call her big girl bark. LOL.
She uses her high pitch for flirt poles and when she's in prey/excitement mode.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I honestly think the average person won't know how their dog will react until put in a situation where they either fight or run.. its natural instincts I believe in most dogs to run. Sure they will put on a show.. my chihuahua puts on an amazing show.. but you say boo.. and she is gone.

Honestly I would like to think my dogs barking and puffing themselves out would make enough of a show for a person to back off.. and leave.. I hope to never have to see them in any other way.... I would love to think they would be brave and protect me.. bite someone trying to hurt me.. but am I living in a fantasy world.. most likely.. but who knows.. not I!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Lo is only 55 lbs and she has both a high pitched bark, like ear piercing, and a very deep bark like Orson, which i call her big girl bark. LOL.
She uses her high pitch for flirt poles and when she's in prey/excitement mode.
Horse talks, he will make these grumbling sounds, and baby sounds its so weird.

Especially if he is really tired and I am holding him, he will just look at me and talk his little heart out.

Today at the beach he was talking as well (I think he wanted some fries lol) but he was just sitting beside the bench talking away lol.

bulldogs are so weird

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
Horse talks, he will make these grumbling sounds, and baby sounds its so weird.

Especially if he is really tired and I am holding him, he will just look at me and talk his little heart out.

Today at the beach he was talking as well (I think he wanted some fries lol) but he was just sitting beside the bench talking away lol.

bulldogs are so weird
haha! yeah Orson isnt very vocal but Lo is pretty vocal. She has whines, whinnys, and arrr ra raas. She likes to talk as well. LOL

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
A dog's bark tells you about their mindset, from the tone to the measurement of the bark.
A high pitched bark is a dog that is operating in prey or is very excited about something. A deeper bark tends to be a little more defensive. I also like to pay attention to how my dogs are barking, is it just a hectic, non-measured type bark or is the dog almost barking to a beat.

That would be cool, Alison. What is the name of the club? Do they have a website?
To be honest, I'm not sure what the club name is or if they have a website. It's something I kind of stumbled into when it was suggested that I go up there to check them out for Gigz's foundation. That video you saw of Gigz - that's this club. The two training directors have been wildly successful with off breeds both nationally and internationally. Ron was actually the first to win the DVG Nationals with a Pit Bull.

I should probably note that the club is in MD, not NC. I have a big "area" that I stomp around in. :lol:

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Alison, when you said "this area" I assumed you meant somewhere closer to where you are living. I knew that was Ron in that video you posted. I am familiar with him and have heard about his training styles. He actually judged Blaze and I at the FedAb trial in MI last year. Did you know he bred one of his bulldog bitches to Chris' Remy?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Historically, APBT's have been bred to have very little aggression towards humans (civil drive), as their handlers needed to get in there to break up fights. If a dog turned on it's handler, or on a person, they were typically culled. Years of breeding like this formed what is now known as one of the best family dogs around. They are typically extremely friendly with people and kids.

But with that being said, I've seen some that have insane amount of prey + civil drive. It could be argued that pits with a very high amount of civil drive are unstable though, and could have this drive due to poor temperment/nerves/etc. I personally know a pit that goes into red zone over anything that it seems threatening.. and when I mean red zone, I mean every muscle in it's body twitching to attack/get a bite..I've never seen a dog so intense before. I've continuously tried to talk the owner into euthanization though, because it's reaction over anything however little or small it is, is very unproportional, and a massive liability - especially if this dog were ever to break free of him during a walk. Anyhow, thought I'd share that bit of info so people know the difference between nervous aggression and controlled/stable temperments that only become aggressive when called for.

I don't think most pits are ideal as guard dogs, but some with stable temperments have been trained for it. Most of the time their natural instinct is not to be very aloof with strangers though, typically speaking. There are probably some bloodlines that are better than others for this type of work.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Not all man-biters were culled, in fact many of them were bred heavily. Some of the dogs who put their teeth on their owners/handlers or other people are some of the most well known dogs today (even outside of the game dog circles). It is important to remember that biting someone outside of the pit is totally different from redirection inside the pit.

I've had the pleasure of seeing a few APBT that do manwork, and do it well. I wouldn't call them unstable or nervous by any means. Obviously the best dogs for the task have been bred for that in addition to or in place of other activities.

However, I don't think that the average dog (of any breed) has what it takes to truly defend and guard a home or its master. By that I mean that there are very few dogs that will engage and take a beating in an effort to defend what is "their's".

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I've seen some great videos from Troy, I'm not sure if he posts around here, but he trains APBT in protection work and does well with them.

Definitely not all biters are fear biters, it's just a warning for people so they can know the difference as there is a world of difference between a dog that bites anything out of fear, and one who protects justly.

I would say the APBT was never traditionally bred to guard though - it's not a traditional guarding dog. I am sure some lines may have been, but it was not the norm. I'm not a pit expert but I remember reading that most man-biters were culled. I've never read about how man-biters were heavily bred. If so, it must not have been the norm with the breed in general. Maybe in recent years (past 10+ yrs or so), as I've seen more and more people training with APBT's, but not in the far history of the breed.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I've seen some great videos from Troy, I'm not sure if he posts around here, but he trains APBT in protection work and does well with them.

Definitely not all biters are fear biters, it's just a warning for people so they can know the difference as there is a world of difference between a dog that bites anything out of fear, and one who protects justly.

I would say the APBT was never traditionally bred to guard though - it's not a traditional guarding dog. I am sure some lines may have been, but it was not the norm. I'm not a pit expert but I remember reading that most man-biters were culled. I've never read about how man-biters were heavily bred. If so, it must not have been the norm with the breed in general. Maybe in recent years (past 10+ yrs or so), as I've seen more and more people training with APBT's, but not in the far history of the breed.
Yes, it is common to read that all man-biters were culled. Thing is, if you know the actual history of the individual dogs and look at the peds you can figure out where the man-biters have been bred.
Chinaman is just one example.

I am not arguing that APBT are great guard dogs or that some or maybe even most man-biters were not put down. I'm simply saying that the belief that ALL man biters were put down is a myth.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Yes, it is common to read that all man-biters were culled. Thing is, if you know the actual history of the individual dogs and look at the peds you can figure out where the man-biters have been bred.
Chinaman is just one example.

I am not arguing that APBT are great guard dogs or that some or maybe even most man-biters were not put down. I'm simply saying that the belief that ALL man biters were put down is a myth.
I admit I know little about APBT's, but definitely learning more. I think the only well known line I can name off the top of my head are Colby pits, which were even used in some OEB breedings. A friend of mine has an OEB with Colby blood, insane drive on that dog. It's the oldest and best dog he owns.

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
well, rufus took out a lifesize cardboard cutout of jeff gordon that was standing in my basement one time.. him and jesse came down the stairs and saw the lifesize cutout in the dark hall corner and both of them demolished the cutout... but that doesnt count as it was a cardboard man.

i think that possibly the only dogs that wouldnt run and would attack a human threat would be a ochchava (bad spelling sorry) and a fila probably.

101 - 120 of 206 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.