Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
121 - 140 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I admit I know little about APBT's, but definitely learning more. I think the only well known line I can name off the top of my head are Colby pits, which were even used in some OEB breedings. A friend of mine has an OEB with Colby blood, insane drive on that dog. It's the oldest and best dog he owns.
I have heard good things about Colby dogs. Have not had the pleasure of seeing one working in any capacity in person though.

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
My rottie bitch has demonstrated on 2 occasions she will go toe to toe with an intruder with a moderate amount of pressure applied on her. The AB's put on a show worthy of an Oscar, but would tuck and run if too much pressure was put on them.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Where is the emoticon for "pulling your hair out"? My god, why are people are so stubborn and close minded when it comes to discussing whether their pet will protect them? You can practically draw some people a picture but they still don't get it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Where is the emoticon for "pulling your hair out"? My god, why are people are so stubborn and close minded when it comes to discussing whether their pet will protect them? You can practically draw some people a picture but they still don't get it.
This goes both ways

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
This goes both ways
Hehe pball you crack me up. Lisa has about 400 times more experience than you do on this subject. Why would you of all people think you know better than her? People amaze me!!!

And Lisa, I completely agree. People living in a fairy tale... I'm going to go buy a horse and I bet you it will run as fast as Secretariat because I saw that movie and it was a good movie and I bet my horse could do that too!

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
Ya never know Steph. Maybe dude got a pup from the litter of the guy that had the dog with titanium testes that was here a while back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
not doubting her experience, unless anyone is putting up some evidence there are just like anyone else stating there option. show some studies or some evidence other wise ur option is just as valued as everyone else. I love how people think the option they have is the end all be all the call others stubborn, and why would u assume any of my experience saying "you of all people" you dont know jack about me. You guys are so brilliant why dont you write a book or open a school instead of bashing peoples views that dont agree with urs.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
not doubting her experience, unless anyone is putting up some evidence there are just like anyone else stating there option. show some studies or some evidence other wise ur option is just as valued as everyone else. I love how people think the option they have is the end all be all the call others stubborn, and why would u assume any of my experience saying "you of all people" you dont know jack about me. You guys are so brilliant why dont you write a book or open a school instead of bashing peoples views that dont agree with urs.
But there is evidence! She does this stuff everyday!!! I'm sure she has seen lots of dogs fail to do well in PP or SchH, and thats a controlled, lesser threatening environment. Why should your dog be any different? I mean, its possible he is, but its highly unlikely. And what evidence do you have that you, or anyone else's random dog, would protect you from an invader? Your dog lunged at someone once? So what. My dog lunges at the window when the mailman comes, doesnt mean he'll do jack if someone comes in the house.

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
Pit bulls are one of the most popular and widely distributed dogs around. I'm kinda curious why it is they are not used more in sporting venues than GSD's, Mals, Rotties etc. Without doing a full blown study it would seem that Pit's just dont bring the same things to the table as the aforementioned dogs. If the Pit was such a capable dog, wouldn't the sporting enthusiasts be jumping all over it? I would think the verdict has been reached by those in the know and anything else is pure speculation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
But there is evidence! She does this stuff everyday!!! I'm sure she has seen lots of dogs fail to do well in PP or SchH, and thats a controlled, lesser threatening environment. Why should your dog be any different? I mean, its possible he is, but its highly unlikely. And what evidence do you have that you, or anyone else's random dog, would protect you from an invader? Your dog lunged at someone once? So what. My dog lunges at the window when the mailman comes, doesnt mean he'll do jack if someone comes in the house.
murph thats what i mean i agree that who knows and a trained dog has a million % more chance at protection it just makes me upset the judgment of someone with 50 posts dont know jack or senior members just blasting people saying they are ignorant or stubborn instead of trying to educate them instead of take my word for it. You know? Many times in this thread i have agreed that a random dog most likely wouldnt attack, but im not willing to bet my life r injury that only a trained dog will bite me.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Pballjunky- it has nothing to do with the amount of posts you have. It's the fact that you are being stubborn for no good reason. Lisa has shared many reasons as to why most dogs wouldnt attack. But you didnt seem to accept that. She has also tried to "educate" you, still you continue to argue. And it's nOt that a "random" dog wouldn't attack- it's that MOST dogs wouldn't attack.

And lol drako- it must be some macho guy thing. To say "oh my dog would totally attack an intruder blah blah blah. Makes them feel hard or something. Whatevs. Hey cass! Post up the beating a dead horse smiley!

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
Maybe Steph. I suppose a macho man would let his dog do his bidding for him. A real man would defend his family himself. Personally, I like a good fight and my dogs are nothing more than members of my family.

·
Registered
71 Posts
so then why did you say "You of all people" when u know nothing about me? I bet the 289 people that died last year from dog attacks familes dont feel the same way u do. Im done with this thread you and the "High society" keep doing your thing maybe ill see you famous one day

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
so then why did you say "You of all people" when u know nothing about me? I bet the 289 people that died last year from dog attacks familes dont feel the same way u do. Im done with this thread you and the "High society" keep doing your thing maybe ill see you famous one day
I meant that she has a hell of a lot more experience than you.

And what kind of attacks are you speaking of here? There is a hell of a big difference between a dog attacking someone non threatening and attacking someone who is threatening.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
This goes both ways
I am so close minded that I have spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours trying to educate myself on many aspects of dogs. I have attended seminars put on by world class trainers. I have have been a member of 3 different training clubs and have visited many others. I do my best to surround myself with the most knowledgeable people I can so I can learn from them. I have visited clubs in several provinces and states. I currently travel over 2 hrs each way and across an international border so that I can train with one of the best personal protection trainers in the United States. I have seen him wash personal dogs of his that your average pet owner would be drooling over. I do NOT consider myself experienced by any means. The people who have been nice enough to mentor me over the years have forgotten more than I know. I may seem "experienced" here but we also have to consider the audience. Many of the members here are first time dog owners. Many of those are having tough time housebreaking their dogs, keeping their pups from chewing stuff and other basic "problems" like that. So naturally, when one of us comes on discussing protection work and posting videos etc, they are going to seem "experienced". Now with that being said, I would like to end my post with a question to pballjunky420....

What have YOU done to gain knowledge on protection/home guardians or any aspect of dogs for that matter?

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Pit bulls are one of the most popular and widely distributed dogs around. I'm kinda curious why it is they are not used more in sporting venues than GSD's, Mals, Rotties etc. Without doing a full blown study it would seem that Pit's just dont bring the same things to the table as the aforementioned dogs. If the Pit was such a capable dog, wouldn't the sporting enthusiasts be jumping all over it? I would think the verdict has been reached by those in the know and anything else is pure speculation.
I think for 2 big reasons, well it boils down to one really.

1) Bulldogs are very difficult sports dogs, they are the hardest to train

2) But the main reason - they haven't been - as a breed in whole - selectively bred as a sports dog in this venue for years and years like the Mal / GSD / etc have been. These breeds have natural guarding instincts from being herd dogs. Herding dogs are also much easier to train. APBT's lack the years of selective breeding which other breeds have in this venue, and they lack the background in this venue. There are some die hards who use them and breed them though for this type of work.

It takes a ton of dedication, patience and work to use these dogs for protection sports, way more than the other breeds.

121 - 140 of 206 Posts