Bulldog Breeds Forums banner
161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Just thought i would throw my 2p in and say this is a great read, and these threads coming up every now and then always serve to help educate and for that reason its a great thread.

Lolly my pug and Rokka the EB are both barkers, lolly is the dominant of the 2, but Rokka has the bark and aggressive look. This would be more than sufficient i think to scare or at least make sum1 think twice.

I regret the first day i ever used a crate......

Usually Any time the gate or front door rattles they both approach the door and bark, lollys is amusing but rokka could be a 40kg dog by her bark.

When ever they are in the crate they dont make a sound, this was natural, not trained.

We were robbed and the dogs were silent in their crate- normally i would wake at the slightest bark to check it out.

After investigation it turns out that the two neighbouring houses displayed signs of attempted burglary, both had dogs, a Boxer in one and mini pincher and beagle in the next, the police officers commented most likely that at sight of the dogs, they stopped. maybe not through fear but because they didnt want a potential alarm system going off!!

Needless to say i dont crate my girls at night anymore - they dont need to be anyway - but now at least i know if they bark, there is an issue, they have never woke me for no reason.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Really?! What makes you "fairly certain" that she would?
Because she went after one of my 20 year old son's friends when he came in the front door without knocking. This was a friend that she didn't know. She immediately went into a growling stance with her hair up, about a foot from him. When he bent down to pet her, she about took his hand off. When I said, "No Betty!!"... she returned to me and calmed down. So this makes me believe that she sensed danger due to the fact it was a stranger who entered our house without knocking.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
LOL Trying to bite a non threatening person is hardly an indication of a dog that would protect you! Read the whole thread!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Because she went after one of my 20 year old son's friends when he came in the front door without knocking. This was a friend that she didn't know. She immediately went into a growling stance with her hair up, about a foot from him. When he bent down to pet her, she about took his hand off. When I said, "No Betty!!"... she returned to me and calmed down. So this makes me believe that she sensed danger due to the fact it was a stranger who entered our house without knocking.
See now to me that is not normal breed temperament... Someone just walking in in a friendly manner shouldn't evoke an aggressive response from a pit bull. APBTs are supposed to be friendly even to strangers.
There was no danger or threat of danger for the dog to sense in the situation you are describing.
Now if the person came in yielding a gun and screaming at you or something to that effect that would be quite a different story... See my point.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Not to be a stickler, but exactly how does a dog differentiate between a gun and let's say an umbrella?

Most people thus far have only referenced a threat display as an indication of a dog's intent to protect. In reality it's called a display because that's what it is, a performance maybe even an Oscar worthy performance. An act, a bluff, hey look at me I'm big bad and scary stay away. It's not protection, it's a behavior to avoid conflict.

·
Legend
5,197 Posts
Not to be a stickler, but exactly how does a dog differentiate between a gun and let's say an umbrella?

Most people thus far have only referenced a threat display as an indication of a dog's intent to protect. In reality it's called a display because that's what it is, a performance maybe even an Oscar worthy performance. An act, a bluff, hey look at me I'm big bad and scary stay away. It's not protection, it's a behavior to avoid conflict.

Exactly what my AB's do, until you growl back at 'em.

·
Registered
12,744 Posts
yeah, alot of you are missing the point. Your dog is putting on a show. In no way someone standing in your doorway a threat. Most of the people you say that got "held off" at the door, prolly talked to your dog to try to calm it down or backed away...not a threat.
If your dog bites someone who casually walks in your door, then guess what, you are getting sued and your dog put down.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If your dog bites someone who casually walks in your door, then guess what, you are getting sued and your dog put down.
Not always the case but I know what you mean.
My family Weimaraner bit our neighbor who noticed our front door was partially open and tried to close it. We were on vacation and came home to a blood trail leading from our front door and down to the neighbors house.

She saw it as her mistake and that the dog was only doing a job.
I could see being sued and the dog put down in certain situations, but an uninvited person walking in the front door without notice?? If only there were a lawyer on this board.......#-o

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Again I'll offer up this video.

This was a test, the first time in his training that this kind of scenario was presented to him. There is a thread in the working dog section regarding this video and I do believe I linked it earlier in this thread.

The dog didn't offer a threat display until after the session was over. It took the "bad guy" trampling the dog before he took action. I even uttered "watch him" which should have cued the dog up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
We thought Harley would jump on the attacker and kiss them until one day... My son was coming home from his friends house and it was dark, he jumped the fence into the backyard not thinking about the dog. Harley spun from one side of the yard and took off growling and barking at him. Good thing for Zach the neighbors motion sensor light went off and Harley saw it was him. Thats when she came to a dead stop and started wagging her tail. To this day zach says he doesn't worry about being home alone with Harley at night he knows what she would do to an intruder. He says it was the scariest look he has ever seen on a dog.

161 - 180 of 206 Posts